Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#74356 - 12/29/05 11:04 AM Re: sms1 sub levels
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Tried something new this morning, set my fronts to small, and bass out to just sub and crossover to 60 and and sub distance in reciever from the default setting of 10 feet to 8 feet made a big difference just wanted to let people know so they have other thing to try and thanks so much for your help guys also shut off crossover in sms I got so excited that i wasn't thinking

#74357 - 01/09/06 08:09 AM Re: sms1 sub levels
Mike Knapp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
I am going to use this unit on a stereo system. My plan is to remove my ICBM (which happens to be set at 80hz anyway) with this unit and EQ only my IB sub.

As I understand it there are a set of inputs on the SMS that permit a full frequency stereo analog input (such as would be output from a stereo pre-amp) and there are also two sets of analog outputs. One set passes the full bandwidth and the other passes only the signal above the fixed 80hx crossover point.

So far, thats cool.

But...because I run an IB sub, I have NO gain control. It runs wide open off of two M2200's. There is also NO subwoofer out on the pre-amp so I have no gain control there either. The only sub gain will be the SMS (as the ICBM is the only sub gain now)

Now...what I need to know is this:

When I use the gain on my pre-amp (the overall system gain) will it also boost the sub gain accordingly like it now does with the ICBM or do the sub outs on the SMS need to be adjusted separately? (this sounds stupid but I have seen this type of set up before).

My hope is that once adjusted, the SMS will increase or decrease the sub volume along with the input gain, AND that if I wish, I can boost or cut JUST the sub level (via remote) to taste for thin recordings or overly fat ones.

Anyone using one of these SMS's for a stereo?

Mike

#74358 - 01/09/06 09:53 AM Re: sms1 sub levels
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think I follow your question. Increasing the gain on the pre-amp will affect the volume of the signal coming into the SMS-1, and that increase will appear in the SMS-1 output as well. It will do exactly what you hope it does - track the gain/volume of the main system and boost or cut the subwoofer independently as desired. Oh, and the default volume for the SMS-1 is remembered as one of the settings, so if you change it and want to go back to your default you can simply hit "RESET" on the remote and it will put you back where you calibrated to. It will also return to the default volume when turned off and back on (although I've been leaving mine on all the time).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM