Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#74322 - 12/23/05 08:25 PM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

This is all great real-life info folks. Keep it up!

Jeff Mackwood

ps. Not to sound like a broken record, but now do more folks understand what I was getting at with respect to multiple subs? What I'm hearing for a single sub is that i) as expected, room placement makes a huge difference to begin with and ii) in manual mode there's an awful lot of adjustment going on (not just levels, but frequencies as well) to get it just right. Now add another sub to the equation - in a different location (naturally). Maybe even a different sub than the first. On its own, it's potentially going to require a totally different set of corrections. Combined with another sub, where they share the same output, it's a compromise. Yes it (global equalization) should be an improvement but I would really like to see a v.2 having individual calibrations for each sub. Alas, us multiple sub users are probably in such a minority that it will likely never happen. But since it's Christmas time, one can still wish!

#74323 - 12/24/05 02:15 AM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I can offially say that this thing rocks. With much trepidation I set it up tonight but it really wasn't that difficult( even for me :p ). I did the Auto EQ just for kicks and that did help but then I did the manual EQ and Boy! did that make a difference! I have a difficult room and my response now is fairly flat.

With the SMS I learned that my phase setting was way off and that my ideal crossover is 40 with my system. I never would have known this if I did not see it being charted right before my eyes. It was really cool to see the graph start leveling out with the turn of the phase knob on the sub. I did not even need to boost any nulls after doing this which was a big worry for me.

The manual could be a little clearer. There is only a short mention of how to turn off the crossover in the SMS but with the help from Steve and this forum it was relatively painless process.

I am very happy with the SMS-1. My speakers sound clearer and my bass is tighter and more integrated. I have the symbiosis I have been looking for. I highly recommend it. laugh

#74324 - 12/27/05 08:30 PM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
By the way, I've got my feedback here. Forgot to come back here and mention it earlier today.

#74325 - 12/27/05 10:17 PM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Great review gonk! I have a room that does not sound as if it is as forgiving as yours when it comes to peaks and nulls. My main issue is that my SVS subs are so tall, they would block parts of the bottom of the screen if put where the freqency response is best for the room. I may have to check one of the SMS-1s out.

#74326 - 12/28/05 12:53 AM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Oh..That's right. It does ..I wonder why I was thinking otherwise? Blonde moment I guess. Thanks Gonk.

#74327 - 12/28/05 10:46 AM Re: SMS-1 user feedback coming soon...
blueair Offline
Gunslinger

It would be great if SMS-1 owners could post a before and after frequency response diagram to see the extent of the change...
Elite M-10X - Back Surround Amp
BP2002TL - Main
C/L/R 2500 - Center
BPX - Surround
UIW64/A - Back Surround
PB12-Plus/2 - Subwoofer
DSP1124P - EQ (Subwoofer Only)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM