Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74296 - 11/29/05 02:14 PM SMS-1 Comparison
gband Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central NJ
There has been a lot of discussion on this and other audio boards regarding room taming using products like the SMS-1. Other products mentioned include: tact, Behringer DEQ 2496, DCX2496, FBQ2496 feedback destroyer, and other parameteric equalizers. While the SMS-1 has gotten rave reviews, the others have also gotton wonderful writeups. Does anyone (outlaws?) have a comparison as to what the SMS-1 does different? better? same? I am interested as the some products like the SMS1 and the DCX really work only at the low frequencies, while others handle the full spectrum. Some are just equalizers (para, graphic or both) while others also change delays, phase, etc.
I know its better to first fix a rooms problems with positioning, materials, etc., but for now lets assume we have to do it electronically.

I guess I'd like to see a discussion as to the pros and cons of the various approaches. I have a DEQ2496 and have briefly played with it to tame some room problems, but it only works on 2 channels, in my case the mains (I have no sub).

So I'll pose the first questions. Is equalization enough to cure most problems, or do we need to include phase, delay, xover freq, etc. into the mix. Do we need to do all the speakers, or only the mains & Sub? Are there other parameters I am missing? Most relevent, what does the SMS-1 do that makes it work so well?

#74297 - 11/29/05 04:24 PM Re: SMS-1 Comparison
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I've listened to a full-blown Tact system and the sound is simply stunning. Is that worth $20-30k to me? Not really (at least not today). At double that price point is a full-blown Meridian system, which I've heard, that is also pretty good (but not as good as Tact in my opinion).

In my case, the SMS may be a good solution. My setup has fantastic soundstaging and imaging, but the bass can get a bit "unruly." I could probably solve the problem with some diligent testing and fiddling with phase/delays/etc, but if the SMS makes all that easier to accomplish, it's worth the $$$ to me.

Cheers,

#74298 - 11/29/05 11:05 PM Re: SMS-1 Comparison
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Just finished reading an UltimateAV review of a TacT processor and Thomas Norton found, if one is using well-performing loudspeakers that have been carefully set up, that the TacT system made the most difference in the bass/subwoofer frequencies region. He also surmised that where some loudspeakers might fall a bit short or where room loudspeaker/room interaction would need help, the TacT would help; where these problems are minimal or are addressed by other means, the TacT processor makes only minimal contribution.

From this I would say that the SMS-1 may help with an often problematic area, subwoofer frequency room interaction, when other means of dealing with sub/room interaction are not possible or some additional ‘assistance’ would be helpful.

The only caveat I would offer, derived from both experience and remarks made by Mr. Norton and others, is that one can ‘tune’ for either one listening position at a time, with possible detriment to other listening positions, or take ‘measurements’ at multiple positions and determine an average that overcomes problems largely common to all positions - in other words some degree of help that may or may not be significant in your situation. Thankfully the Outlaws will let the SMS-1 visit anyone that wants to try it out.

#74299 - 12/02/05 01:27 PM Re: SMS-1 Comparison
trout Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
I read a post that talked about the SMS-1 incorporating a multi-mic-mixer (try that five times fast smile ) and then doing the work for you in getting a good average over the whole domain. Though I read it was going to be an extra $500 to implement.

FYI

#74300 - 12/02/05 06:03 PM Re: SMS-1 Comparison
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#74301 - 12/18/05 01:02 PM Re: SMS-1 Comparison
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trout:
I read a post that talked about the SMS-1 incorporating a multi-mic-mixer (try that five times fast smile ) and then doing the work for you in getting a good average over the whole domain. Though I read it was going to be an extra $500 to implement.

FYI
Do you think that the average living room/home theater would need to have multi-mikes? I think you could probably get an idea of any potential problems in multiple areas of your HT if you just move the single mike around. If you don't find a significant difference, then you should be OK in your general listening area, True?

My opinion is that you shouldn't need multi-mikes or Balanced outputs in a room that seats less than 25 people.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM