Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#74281 - 12/19/05 02:26 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
blueair Offline
Gunslinger

I personally have a BFD but only one subwoofer. I do know, however, of several folks who also have a BFD and 2 subs connected to it; since the BFD has 2 independent engines (for the right and left channel), they have DIFFERENT presets/filters for each sub in order to maximize the frequency response...
Elite M-10X - Back Surround Amp
BP2002TL - Main
C/L/R 2500 - Center
BPX - Surround
UIW64/A - Back Surround
PB12-Plus/2 - Subwoofer
DSP1124P - EQ (Subwoofer Only)

#74282 - 12/19/05 11:24 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
OK, I was throughly humbled by SoundHounds "Article" on stereo subs. But, after reading it I found that there was a limited amount of source material that would benefit by such a configuration. A bass or drum closer to one mike than another, analog content only, etc. Not sure if it's worth it, but it sounds like a good way to spend a couple of weeks setting it up. Opps, forgot, I'm not retired yet. Anyway, Jeff, I was wrong about the price. I found a component that would do just what you want, but it's more like $30,000.00. I had a link to it but lost it along the way, sorry about that. Anyway looking at the spec's of your system, it looks pretty good, I don't know why you need to do anything.

My complaint about the SMS-1 is that it filters out frequencies below 15Hz. I think my two subs can drop down to 10Hz without to much of a problem and would like, at least, the opportunity to explore that possibility.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74283 - 01/07/06 01:24 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
Ok. Here is a silly question.. For the pre-sets- when I EQ the sub manually do I have to adjust the pre-sets also or is there some magic formulae that the SMS-1 applies to these based on my core settings?

#74284 - 01/07/06 08:13 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
When you EQ the sub, use "setup" as the preset that you are adjusting. This will apply the EQ settings to all of the presets, giving you the flat response you want as the baseline for each preset. The System Setting options of contour (which acts as a ninth EQ channel with adjustable frequency and level) and volume will them differentiate between the presets.

When you are in the System Response screen (where the EQ's are), you have the option of manually adjusting the EQ's for each preset separately by changing which preset is being modified at the top left corner of the screen. The only reason I'd do that would be to quickly compare two different set of EQ adjustments; setting the preset to "setup" (the default) will make sure that all the work you put into getting a flat response is available to all five presets (the sixth preset being a bypass of the EQ).

#74285 - 01/07/06 09:58 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Thanks Gonk. I know you also talked of stacking but is it ok to lower say 20hz and 24hz. Are they far enough apart? I have a severe peak and they are lowered by about 9 to 10 db or so.

#74286 - 01/07/06 10:43 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
gonk Offline
Desperado

Stacking is mainly a concern if you are applying boost to the two EQ's. If you were applying boost at 20 and 24Hz, I'd suggest increasing the Q (which narrows the area affected by the EQ), but if you are pulling down a peak I wouldn't worry about it.

#74287 - 01/07/06 11:00 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Thanks again :p

#74288 - 01/07/06 07:10 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I found that when I moved the mic around the room I had results that were in correlation to the standing waves that are found in that room. If I moved the mic a foot or two closer or further from the center I would be able to get the flat responce I was looking for. When you get to the point where you think you need to stack frequencies try moving the mic around a little and see if it makes a difference for you.

Standing Waves in Room

Trivia: I belch at around 125 Hz laugh

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74289 - 01/08/06 08:16 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Gonk,

When you hooked up the SMS-1 with the 990, is your 990 set up to send bass to just the sub or to the sub+L/R? Currently, I have the 990 sending low bass to sub+L/R. However, I was thinking once I get the SMS-1 and hook it up I will probably look at sending it to just the sub. I'm just thinking if I still send lows to the L/R they will not be equalized, but if I send everything under 80Hz to the sub only it should provide better response down low. Please advise of your finding on this matter.

Thanks!

#74290 - 01/08/06 08:55 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
gonk Offline
Desperado

All of my speakers are set to small, with my sub set to on (no sub+L/R). With an SMS-1, this is probably the best way to approach it - in fact, it would be almost essential if you wanted to really see what the sub was doing by itself.

We were watching a couple movies this afternoon while doing other things in the den, and in teh middle of Italian Job my wife remarked that the system sounded better and asked if it was because of the SMS-1 (the only thing that has changed in the system since last May or so).

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 87 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM