Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#74261 - 11/27/05 04:04 AM SMS-1 Cold Shower
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Folks,

Thought I'd post this thread here since the SMS-1 does not yet have it's own section at least not when I first started typing this yesterday.

First off, I apologize for being a dose of cold water.

I read the latest announcement on the SMS-1 with great interest. Of particular appeal was the following:

"It also handles up to three different subs simultaneously, making it a piece of cake to squeeze every last bit of performance from any subwoofer configuration you could throw at it, including our LFM double sub combos."

I have multiple subs. Got my attention!

Then I downloaded the owner's manual and found out that the SMS-1's LFE outputs all send the same signal to each sub. In order to properly EQ multiple subs you will need to buy one SMS-1 per sub since, in my opinion, it would be next to impossible to place two (or three) subs, identical or not, in two (or three) different locations in the same room and expect that they would each need the same optimized signal to perform their best. A single SMS-1 with multiple subs is a compromise at best.

Having thrown cold water on the multiple sub issue, it still looks like a single SMS-1 unit should make a great addition in a single sub situation.

Anyone else see it differently?

Jeff Mackwood

#74262 - 11/27/05 12:12 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

It is going to give you a flat level bass response regradless. However, in doing so it is possible that it will not do it in the most efficient way possible. It's up to you how much that is worth for you. You could get 1 SMS-1, configure it, and then unplug subs sequentally and retest the room frequency response to see how well it did its job. If it did it well, no worries, if not, you could get another one or a differeint equalizer.

It struck me that the main point of the SMS-1 was more convenience rather than advanced functionality. I havn't checked around, but your can probobly get cheaper equalizers that do the same thing but require run your own frequency response curve with your own spl meter.

#74263 - 11/28/05 01:01 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Jeff,

As much as we'd love to sell you more than one of these for your subs, it's really not necessary. Here's why:

You're going to position the microphone in your favorite listening position at which point you'll run either the "auto" or "manual" EQ software. The SMS-1 will then begin to address the signal it is recording/hearing in that position. Please note that I didn't say it would address your subs. Instead, it's looking at the bass output from each sub as a whole as if it were coming from one sub.

This of course would be an entirely different situation if you were running "stereo" subs. However, in our experience, that's a relatively uncommon practice. Most people run dual mono subs, and in a dual mono sub configuration a single SMS-1 does a great job, and yes...I've experienced this first hand wink

Scott

#74264 - 11/28/05 01:18 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Scott,

That is as I suspected - and I agree that it should work very well.

However "squeezing every last bit of performance" to me would mean setting an optimum curve for each sub individually, and then treating them globally.

I realize that for most people who are running a pair of the same subs, located most likely in "morror" positions to each other, that there would likely be very little difference. However in my case I am running four subs - three different types, and three distinct positions accoustically. I'm willing to take one sub out of the equation if the rest can be properly EQ'd.

In any case I'll likely order a unit in the new year, when I am again travelling to the US, and will give it a try in my set-up. If it does not work out I can always use your excellent 30 day return policy.

And before I forget, thanks to Outlaw for continuing to bring such products to the market.

All the best.

Jeff Mackwood

#74265 - 11/29/05 11:16 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
As with any product, process or system, a balance is struck between what is possible, what is practical, and what something costs – at least this is true for those of us with less than multiple millions to spend on our audio gear.

I have no problem with something like the SMS-1 or built in auto-EQ except: I always want more. I want the whole central area of my room to sound good, not just a ‘sweet spot,’ not to mention how the sound carries to adjacent rooms. I run ‘stereo’ subs, not just dual mono, that are set up near-mirror – intentionally shifted in an attempt to let the room nulls of one sub be somewhat filled in by the positive nodes of the other and this does happen to some degree – so I would “need” two SMS-1 units for individual correction. Some people run a ‘musical’ sub, or multiple subs that carry main program material below the crossover point selected, plus a separate LFE-only sub. I suppose that there are a few other hybrid subwoofer schemes out there that would also require multiple SMS-1 units.

In any case, I had to deal with subwoofer in-room-response issues before the SMS-1 became available and therefore, with careful placement and adjustment, I have obtained a certain amount of ‘sub satisfaction’ without the SMS-1. Might two SMS-1’s help my situation? Perhaps. I’m just not sure that there’s enough ‘bang for the buck,’ or ‘two bucks,’ in my situation.

Still, I’m glad that Outlaw is offering an increasing stable of products to meet a variety of needs and that many people may derive benefit from an SMS-1. Perhaps a bit further down the trail I’ll try one.

#74266 - 12/02/05 01:20 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
trout Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha, NE USA
There had been a lot of discussion about multiple sub configurations and use of the SMS-1 pre and post release here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=495331&page=12&pp=30

I've given you the link to go close to the release date when people started actually using one (or more.)

There was a spokesperson from Velodyne speaking to them before the actual release date, but I did not see anything else from him after that.

Perhaps the Outlaws can get some input/help for us from Velodyne. (hint, hint)

#74267 - 12/07/05 03:58 AM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
NewBuyer Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Jeff Mackwood for posting this. I was in fact considering using the SMS-1 for stereo subs.

-Regards

#74268 - 12/17/05 01:42 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I am using two subs as well and am hoping for an SMS1 this Christmas. I don't understand the stereo sub issue. Not sure how you get a true stereo LFE signal from a source to begin with and what advantage there is in a stereo sub 80Hz frequency anway? I would think that what you would be attenpting to do with the SMS1 is reduce the LFE stereo affect (double bass?). In the end you want the listener to find it hard to determine where the LFE signal is coming from, starting out with two seperate LFE signals would seem to make that harder. I guess it would be more fun to dial in each sub seperatly, but the biggest LFE problem in my room is loose dry wall nails. :-)

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74269 - 12/17/05 06:27 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
That's why I use sheetrock screws. Now, if I could just get the suspended ceiling to stop vibrating. The SMS-1 is on my short list of pieces to acquire. I think it shouldn't matter if you use one SMS-1 for multiple subs. I would actually think this would even be better. If you equalize individual subs, what assurance do you have they will act properly when the signals are blended? Of course, I only care about a single listening position as I built my HT room for myself. Other people in the room are still blown away anyhow and probably don't notice as much as I do when things are slightly out of whack.

#74270 - 12/17/05 06:41 PM Re: SMS-1 Cold Shower
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
"I only care about a single listening position as I built my HT room for myself. Other people in the room are still blown away anyhow and probably don't notice as much as I do when things are slightly out of whack."

ditto,doug!

and nothing to do with the sms-1.

whenever i'm allowed to do 2 subs,they will be stereo.(probably have to learn to do active x-overs pretty soon.)

cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM