Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#74227 - 11/30/09 04:00 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by XenonMan:
Although a lot of fans love 2 ch stereo, they don;t necessarily want to spend big $$$ for equipment which is very narrowly focused.
isnt that the point here? Outlaw offers a high quality product at a mid-range price point, something the 2 channel world needs. i mean if the HT products Outlaw is selling was in the next price range i think they might find the competition damn steep, and might not even be in buisness. In the current economic state of afairs diversity is a wise buisness plan.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#74228 - 11/30/09 11:05 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Considering that it takes a lot of up front $$$ to design, build and stock the different versions of what we as "audiophiles" can dream up, and the Outlaws are holding their head above water as it is. A seven channel amp with good power will easily do stereo as well as HT. I have a 5 ch system and use the extra 2 channels of my 7125 for stereo output through my 990 with a phono source. Sounds great and I don't need another piece of gear. How much would we consider to be too expensive for a good two channel amp such as the "2125" or the "2500"?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#74229 - 12/01/09 07:15 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

again, you keep referring to this as a HT that is also used occasionally as a 2 channel music setup also. your point of veiw is 180 degrees out from mine. i have 2 speakers in my music room thats all, just like all other music based audiophiles. sure if you have a 7 channel amp and HT pre/pro its only sensible to not add gear.

now if you did infact only have 2 speakers setup for music only you would realize how annoying it is when the preamp switches to PL IIz on its own, or how much more streamlined the preamp could be to my needs as, yes i know im all alone on this alien idea of mine, a 2 channel stereo audiophile. if expanding Outlaws product base and bringing more people into the fold loving what they have done for sound on a new(simpler) platform is wrong then so be it, but i dont believe it. it would have to be somewhat easy given the complexity of a HT pre/pro to make 2 channel pre that would require so much less architecture in comparsion.

i guess its all in where your passions lay.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#74230 - 12/02/09 02:24 AM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Again, you keep assuming because I have a digital setup HT that I don't appreciate 2 channel sound. I am simply pointing out that Outlaw makes plenty of gear to meet your needs if you look outside of only two channel gear. Complaining that Outlaw doesn't make a two channel machine is a little short of the mark since the 2150 does exist and they also make single channel amps so we can use two for stereo if we want. The 2150 has the ability to output its preamp section into the 2200s to power whatever speakers you may have. Remember you are in the Outalw forum and you asked for help a sub $1K pre-amp. So naturally we tend to respond with Outlaw equipment. I am sure AVS can help with the other gear.

For the record, I do have 2 speakers set up for 2 channel sound in both homes that I own. Those same speakers are able to be part of my 7 channel system when I want, with just the flip of my remote. If your 970 switches by itself into PL IIx it is either setup wrong or it is defective. Is it possible it is sensing source material which has more than 2 channels and switching based on that info? Gonk probably has better insight as to the details of the 970.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE

#74231 - 12/02/09 05:24 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
praedet Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nebraska
You simply need to tell it to go to Stereo for that input in the Set-up menu...
Surround Sides: Slightly Modded Polk LSiFXs
Surround Rears: X-over+ Modded Polk LSi7s
Subs: Outlaw LFM-1 EX and Polk 505
Electronics
Sherwood R-972 (Waiting for the Outlaw (9XX)
Outlaw 7700 Amp
Oppo BDP-103
Signal Cable, Advanced Technology, and Outlaw Audio Cables
2 APC H-15s and an UberBUSS for good measure

#74232 - 12/02/09 05:45 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimna:
now if you did infact only have 2 speakers setup for music only you would realize how annoying it is when the preamp switches to PL IIz on its own, or how much more streamlined the preamp could be to my needs as, yes i know im all alone on this alien idea of mine, a 2 channel stereo audiophile.
I think we've talked about processing mode memory some in the past, but this comment got me curious. You have the Model 970 set up with only two speakers (no center or surround that you use sometimes), correct? If so, you should have the center and surrounds all disabled in the 970's speaker setup menu, in which case Pro Logic II shouldn't even be an option. Even if it did somehow allow you to select it, there would be no speakers available for the signal to be expanded to. Is there any chance that the center or surrounds are still enabled in the menu?

#74233 - 12/02/09 09:21 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

yes, i have all other speaker options on the "none" selection other than the mains + sub. and i also have the stereo selected in the setup menu as well.

and im not complaining, im simple making the case that i do this far love all ive seen(heard) from Outlaw and think a 2 channel preamp would be a great addition to their product line. as pointed out the mono blocks are perfect for a stereo setup, but they dont offer the pre to complete it. im somewhat of a purist, i do have a HT in a different room already, my music is listen to on a setup more constructed to just music, minus a stero pre.

im not trying to piss anyone off.

a friend of mine had both mono blocks in a 2 channel rig plus a 5.1 setup with a 950 and a 5 channel outlaw amp. his systems sold me on the outlaw sound, and now im just wishing i could expand on it, thats all. not complaining just wishful thinking put to conversation.

i appreciate everyones input and opinion.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

#74234 - 12/02/09 09:48 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

This is a friendly discussion group and we count you as a friend. Have you looked at the 2150. It has the capability to bypass its internal amp and put its stereo output through the 2200s. The manual also says you can use wye connectors on the pre-outs to feed the 2200s and still use the 2150s internal 100w amp. Sounds like pretty neat 3 or 4 channel amp.It also provides a sub out which may or may not be part of your stereo needs. It is a straight stereo receiver in its originasl form which also has digital inputs.

TV System

Home Theater System
Harmony ONE

#74235 - 12/02/09 09:55 PM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
yes, i have all other speaker options on the "none" selection other than the mains + sub. and i also have the stereo selected in the setup menu as well.
Good.
Quote:
and im not complaining, im simple making the case that i do this far love all ive seen(heard) from Outlaw and think a 2 channel preamp would be a great addition to their product line. as pointed out the mono blocks are perfect for a stereo setup, but they dont offer the pre to complete it. im somewhat of a purist, i do have a HT in a different room already, my music is listen to on a setup more constructed to just music, minus a stero pre.
No problem - it's a worthwhile debate and a fun idea, even if nothing more comes of it than our discussion here.

#74236 - 12/03/09 12:30 AM Re: Stereo Pre Amps for M-2200
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
After reading this and other 2 channel purist posts, I remain curious to know if anyone prefers 5 or 7 channel stereo? I have a 990 and personally prefer 7 channel stereo and the envoloping feeling of the sound. When I curiosity hits and I do A/B testing between bypass and stereo, on the one hand, and 5 or 7 channel, on the other hand, I always prefer to be envoloped by the 5 and 7 channel sound. What about envelopment do the 2 channel purists not like? And if they simply do not like to be envoloped and just want to hear the sound in 2 channel "as it was intended", then what do they think of (and how do they make it through) live performances? Every concert I have been to does not just have 2 speakers placed one on each side of the band/performer; rather there are numerous speakers spread throughout and around the hall or arena which fully envelop the audience in sound--which I am assuming is stereo but spread throughout the hall/arena. In any event, I love that enveloping experience in terms of music fidelity as well as "performance". Do 2 channel purists cringe during a live performance? Am I perhaps missing something or comparing apples and oranges? Again, I am just curious and would appreciate hearing some of the Outlaws' thoughts, even though it will not change my preference for 5 and 7 channel stereo.
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts