Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73529 - 05/29/09 04:23 AM DVI Switching Problem
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
Hey gang,

I recently picked up a Sony PS3 and decided to try and run the video switching through my 1070 since I now have three HDMI/DVI components and my TV only has two HDMI inputs.

The components are a PC, Satellite Box and the PS3. The plan was to run the PC and PS3 video through the 1070 and run the Satellite Box directly to the TV so it could still be used without the 1070 being active (yes, that would be the wife). The PC has a 8600GT dual-DVI video card which is HDCP compliant. After power-cycling the PC, 1070 and TV a few times the picture displayed perfectly at 1080p resolution. However, the problem is that if the 1070 is switched off the video driver changes to single montior mode, I have to manually set it back to dual monitor mode after turning the 1070 back on in order to display anything on the TV. This didn't happen when the PC was directly connected to the TV and the TV was turned off.

So, I proceeded to hook up the PS3 through the 1070 with a HDMI-DVI cable and the TV flickered quite a bit and displayed a lot of video noise (little horizontal lines jumping around a lot) at 1080p, the display was fine once a 720p game kicked in. Hooking the PS3 directly to the TV is fine (at 1080p). I also used several HDMI-DVI cables all chained together (HDMI->DVI DVI->HDMI(F) HDMI->DVI DVI->HDMI) and this worked fine from the PS3 to the TV, so I don't believe it's a cabling issue.

In the end I connected my Cable Box to the TV via component (720p) and connected the PC and PS3 directly to the TV. I kind of suspect I'm stuck with this arrangement (which isn't the end of the world but it's disappointing that I can't use the DVI switching feature of the 1070). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

The good news is the audio works perfectly, no drop outs or syncing issues.

-John

#73530 - 05/29/09 11:59 AM Re: DVI Switching Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
The PC has a 8600GT dual-DVI video card which is HDCP compliant. After power-cycling the PC, 1070 and TV a few times the picture displayed perfectly at 1080p resolution. However, the problem is that if the 1070 is switched off the video driver changes to single montior mode, I have to manually set it back to dual monitor mode after turning the 1070 back on in order to display anything on the TV. This didn't happen when the PC was directly connected to the TV and the TV was turned off.
I wonder if the TV's "off" mode is still telling the PC that there is a device there so that the video drivers don't revert to single monitor mode? In contrast, the 1070's DVI switching is passive and is going to presumably become a dead end electrically when the receiver is off.

#73531 - 05/29/09 02:09 PM Re: DVI Switching Problem
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gonk.

I'll try just unplugging the DVI cable that's connected from my PC to the TV to see if I get the same behaviour.

Any thoughts on whether on not an HDMI receiver/processor would exibit this same behaviour?

EDIT - Looks like it's an issue with HDMI receivers as well. Maybe there'll be an eventual update to the video card drivers to support forcing DualView on.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1108334

-John

#73532 - 05/29/09 02:39 PM Re: DVI Switching Problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
HDMI is hard to predict, but I would not be surprised to find that most receivers become "inert" at the HDMI inputs when in standby mode.

#73533 - 05/31/09 12:59 AM Re: DVI Switching Problem
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Well that's odd, if I disconnect the DVI-HDMI cable from the PC it doesn't switch to single monitor mode like it does when switched through the 1070 and the 1070 is off.

-John

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts