Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73490 - 12/31/08 06:40 PM Snap Crackle Pop
Eddie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi.
I'm sorry if this is a repeat question.

My 3 year old 1070 has been in storage for about 2 years. Just took it out and all I hear is an incredible scratching from the speakers that keeps getting louder and louder. This has nothing to do with the volume control. Volume is all the way down. The only recourse is to turn it off. Have to. It gets LOUD. When I turn it back on, that symptom won't happen immediately but every button I push and knob I turn, there's are pops or snaps. This is also independent of the volume control.
I disconnected everything and just hooked up one speaker and the power cord to rule anything else out. Still scratches and pops. Also, can not get anything from the tuner or cd player.
( didn't try anything else.)
I don't hear these noises thru the headphones. Just a hum, but I still can't raise the tuner or cd on the phones.
The only thing I can think of is while in storage, it wasn't exactly in a dust free environment. Basement. Could it be toasted, cooked, done for?
Any help would be great. But don't bother calling me stupid, I already know that.
Awww, go ahead anyway. confused

#73491 - 12/31/08 07:12 PM Re: Snap Crackle Pop
Altec Offline
Desperado

If it's worth it to you, find a good technician.

#73492 - 12/31/08 07:12 PM Re: Snap Crackle Pop
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Was it stored in a box in a cool dry area? If not it may need a serious cleaning by a professional.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#73493 - 12/31/08 07:45 PM Re: Snap Crackle Pop
Altec Offline
Desperado

The problem with cleaning inside an electronic component is that unless somebody knows what they are doing, the important spots which would need cleaning could very well be overlooked and the "obvious" to the eye places would get the attention (but which would not cure the problem). Also, different cleaning methods and solvents need to be used on different parts of the circuity.

That's why I always recommend an experienced technician, unless of course the unit is on the verge of being thrown out anyway and there's nothing to loose.

#73494 - 01/01/09 02:31 AM Re: Snap Crackle Pop
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
Hi Eddie,

Could the 1070 have gotten wet or very damp in your basement? Something could be shorted out. It's a long shot, but just giving it some time to dry out could bring it back to life. On the other hand, critters have been known to get into electronic gear and wreak havoc, but that's usually accompanied by foul odor.

Modern electronics don't allow for many places where dirt can get in. Most can get downright filthy and still function, so I don't think dirt is the entire problem, although dirt helps accumulate moisture.

Altec is right, there's not really much inside that is user serviceable. About the only thing you might be able to do is blow the inside out with canned air, and that's not very likely to help. If you can't locate a local service tech that can help you, I'm sure Outlaw Audio can.

Regards,
Bill

#73495 - 01/01/09 03:59 AM Re: Snap Crackle Pop
Eddie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks very much for all the input.
Definately no life forms have entered, moisture, not very likely. Dust, quite probably.
I will notify Outlaw. Thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts