Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73472 - 10/06/08 03:25 PM Volume command sticking
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Hey all,

Ya know I thought this problem was an issue with my Nevo SL, and it's happened enough that I stopped using this great universal because I thought it might cause irreparable damage to my setup. So it's on the shelf.

But today, home from work, I'm standing in my living room with the 1070 remote in my hand, and I adjusted the volume slightly with the remote. The volume just kept going up and going. It was already pretty loud and I just wanted to hear this part louder, but it kept going and I leaped from my seat to run up to the unit to grab the volume knob. By the time I got to the unit it was WAY louder than I ever run it. Thing is, my mother in law mentioned that while babysitting my daughter one day, the same thing happened to her while she was at the other end of the house. She joked that she thought my house was haunted. And after my wife heard this, she confirmed it happened to her a couple times too. But the truth is I've had this happen any number of times, where the volume just goes up on it's own, especially right after I've entered the command on the remote to adjust it up. I know the remote is fine (it's not physically sticking), but this is the type of thing that might retire my unit. I cannot afford to go out buying new speakers and subs because the unit appears to have a mind of its own. I'm positive it's not a haunting because nothing else happens with the electronics. It's always "volume up" on the remote.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm worried. frown
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#73473 - 10/06/08 03:36 PM Re: Volume command sticking
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That Pioneer's a plasma, and I've heard of IR signals getting screwed around with by plasmas. Any chance that the 1070 and plasma screen are close together?

#73474 - 10/06/08 05:09 PM Re: Volume command sticking
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

the 1070 is on a shelf immediately beneath the TV. hmmm. during this last incident, the TV was off though (in standby, not completely off).
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#73475 - 10/06/08 07:24 PM Re: Volume command sticking
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
If it ever goes up without the remote signal to trigger it, it's likely a short (or software glitch?) on the receiver. However, in my experience, shorts are usually static (ie the volume would go to max every time you turn it on).

Plasmas and LCDs are not effective interference when in standby, but the culprit could be CFL bulbs (you're not the only one that has ghosts, apparently). If you're using a remote repeater system like Xantech, you can get a CFL or Plasma friendly receiver that is immune to this issue (I use a Xantech system and I wouldn't want to do without).

Hope this helps smile

#73476 - 10/07/08 12:52 PM Re: Volume command sticking
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

I do love the Earth, but one thing I haven't caved on is switching to fluorescent lights in the house. I have yet to encounter one that doesn't make me feel like I'm in the office wink

With this last incident, the TV was definitely off. I was listening to a CD at the time. My Nevo SL came with the "Nevo Link" system add-on which I never hooked up. There wasn't really a need to use it since my components are out in the open.

So all this stuff aside, I have a TV that cost me $3k and a receiver that cost (someone else) $900. Neither I'm really wanting to replace at those costs. Relocating components is a bit pricey for me to consider too...new furniture, building a closet...rrgh. I could switch the Outlaw out with the Yamaha RXV750 I have in the game room but we all know which is the better sounding receiver between the two. Ah decisions decisions.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts