Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#73461 - 08/26/08 04:11 PM Re: Demanding movie sequences losing audio
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Warranties vary depending on the specific model. The Model 990 and old Model 950 both have/had five-year warranties. The amps also have a five-year warranty (both the multichannel and monoblock models), as do the Bookshelf and LCR speakers. There have been several Outlaw products with two-year warranties, though. I think the original Model 1050 was that way, as are the RR2150 and the Model 970. The subs carry three-year warranties, just to keep things interesting...

#73462 - 08/26/08 09:56 PM Re: Demanding movie sequences losing audio
Leon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The most important reason for my post was to give the original post the benefit of my experience with the 1070. I had months of irritation from the peaking out of the amp. Initially Outlaw diagnosed a problem with the input source until I was able to take a potentiometer to the inputs and determine this was happening from multiple sources. So I really wanted to help him out with a solution to his problem.

I did not regard this as a warranty issue, per se. I assume that my machine was out of warranty.

I would have thought that a bad solder situation that arises one year outside of warranty might be treated as manufacturing defect. Particularly when others start to have the same problem. For me its a first to find that solder fails after only three years. I've had receivers that have lasted 10+ years without that kind of problem. I even soldered my own receiver Heathkit in 1967 and it lasted over a decade to my knowledge, before I sold it.

I appreciated the repair service but I don't think I would consider buying another product from Outlaw based on the failure of quality control on my 1070.

Hope I've clarified where I stand in a reasonably diplomatic way.

Leon

#73463 - 08/26/08 11:50 PM Re: Demanding movie sequences losing audio
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Perfectly diplomatic from where I'm sitting, Leon. Thanks.

#73464 - 08/27/08 05:23 AM Re: Demanding movie sequences losing audio
Corndog71 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Thanks Leon for your input.

I've since returned my hook-up arangement to the way I had it before and have not had any problems. I believe the main issue was hooking up my sub via the high level connections. It must've overloaded the amp or something.

I went back to using the line level sub out to the sub's lfe input. I can easily crank the receiver to 0dB with no drop outs of power at all.

I must say my feelings have been mixed as well. But these aren't simple heathkits either.
And now that my receiver is working well I have no issue. I might add the amp section is incredibly dynamic and really does sound fantastic. smile Particularly with the ending gun fight scene in Open Range.

#73465 - 08/28/08 05:24 PM Re: Demanding movie sequences losing audio
JHoff80 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Leon:

I appreciated the repair service but I don't think I would consider buying another product from Outlaw based on the failure of quality control on my 1070.
Honestly, I'm pretty much in agreement on this. I absolutely love the sound quality of my 1070, don't get me wrong, and for the price, there hasn't been anything I've heard that comes close.

However, its absolutely ridiculous that this product was even released out the door with so many issues (which must be partially hardware issues, because otherwise they'd have been fixed in a firmware update). I've had this receiver for 3 years apparently (maybe close to 4, wasn't it released in January or so of 05... I remember I was one of the first because I ordered directly from the original 'pre-order' list) and quite frankly have never had so many issues with a piece of electronics equipment. Even my cheap low-end piece of crap Sony receiver I had before the Outlaw never had issues like this. I mean there was the no audio bug, I can't use the video switching because the screen loses sync and goes black for a few seconds playing the Wii, the remote no longer works consistently the first time I hit the power on button (tested with the original, and with my Harmony remote), and I haven't even had some of the more serious issues people have had.

I've only kept it because for the price, it sounds great, sure. But more and more of these little issues seem to be creeping up over time and showing that it is honestly a subpar product in the quality control sense. It's a shame too, because with online-only sales, word-of-mouth and reputation are the biggest factor, and the 1070 gives Outlaw a reputation for having shoddily made products. I know I wouldn't recommend anything Outlaw-made these days unless the person asking was as masochistic about their gear as I seem to be.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts