Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#73268 - 11/07/07 02:05 PM DVI switching issue?
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
Once I purchased my MX-500 learning remote, I wanted to use the DVI switching offered by my 1070, as my TV doesn't have discrete codes for input sources.

I've bought a set of three DVI to HDMI adapters form monoprice and I've run into an intermittent issue with my 1070.

While the picture quality through the DVI switch is, as expected, same as when the Oppo 980H and the Motorola cable box were connected directly to the Samsung TV via HDM cables, every once in a while, when either powering the system up or switching from DVD to TV, the TV image doesn't come up right. The aspect ratio is wrong. And it's not wrong like the wrong option was selected, 16:9 vs 4:3, but HD material shows up vertically compressed and horizontally expanded. The only way to fix it after it happens, is to power 1070 off and back on. Powering the TV off and on doesn't cut it.

Did anybody else experience this?

I'm not quite sure what I might be doing wrong, if anything, for the system works OK 8 out of 10 times... There are no sparkles or signal interruption, to blame the DVI - HDMI adaptors or the cables...

#73269 - 11/07/07 02:38 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Does it happen for both sources, or is it only with the cable box? Does powering the cable box on and off help matters? Since we're in the realm of HDMI, there's a chance we're running into a communication issue generated by the "power on" sequencing - particularly since the cable box seems to be involved.

#73270 - 11/07/07 03:00 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
I run my HD-A2 video over the DVI input (DVD Input on 1070).

It's not uncommon for me to see anomalies when I switch to DVD using my 1070 remote. I run an HDMI/DVI from the HD-A2 to the 1070, and DVI/HDMI to my display.

Last night, I did the following:

1.) Pushed DVD on my 1070 remote, heard the soundtrack for the DVD start.

2.) Pushed Input 5 on my Pionner display remote to switch to HDMI (my cable viewing is over Component.)

I waited about 10 seconds and the screen stayed black but said I had changed to the proper Input on the display. I "bounced" inputs on the 1070 remote back to Video 2 and then back to DVD, where I saw the static that shows when the HDMI is "negotiating." But nothing DVD-related showed up after 15 seconds. Did it three more times before I got the picture to come up.

:ohwell:
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#73271 - 11/07/07 03:12 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
I could be wrong....but it sounds to me like a typical HDMI/HDCP handshake issue....
damn protocol...
in my set-up....the DVD player MUST be turned on last...switching sources won't cut it...should I switch sources....when I go back to the dvd player...I must turn it off and on again or else all I get is snow....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#73272 - 11/07/07 03:42 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

you might be right Laventura.

the issue is the HD-A2 takes 30 seconds to boot anyway, so I've always turned it on "early."
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#73273 - 11/07/07 05:11 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
Gunslinger

Gonk, powering off my cable box is not an option. I let that thing running all the time, or else I'll have to put up with its issues.

But look at this scenario:

With one macro, Power on TV, Power on 1070 on Video2, cablebox already running and everything starts just fine.

Then, with second macro, power on Oppo and switch 1070 to DVD and everything works OK.

Switch Outlaw back to TV and, bang, the vertically compressed and horizontally expanded TV image shows up! Not always, only once in a while, like the no audio bug...

In this case all componentes are up and running, and the TV was rendering the signal from the cable box just fine before I switched to Oppo and then back to TV.

True, when cabling the TV directly from the HDMI sources, any source input switch was taking longer and the TV was displaying the "looking for signal" message, which doesn't show up when the back and forth switching happens via Outlaw.

Not sure what to do next...

There is another case I've just ran into. The signal from Oppo just came up with a color missing. Powered 1070 off and on cured it.

1070 simply seems to be incapable of reliably doing anything that involves software. Every time I depress a button on my remote that involves the receiver I wonder "would this work now?".

Is this what it means to be an "outlaw"?

#73274 - 11/07/07 05:49 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Alex:

From reading many of your posts, it would seem you have many of the problems we all have seen with the 1070. you sound frustrated and quite frankly I don't blame you. I think some of it comes from the small company, less Quality Assurance (MAYBE), or just a bad business partner for the Outlaws. I doubt you could get a refund but you might try. I think Outlaw would continue to support you but that would probably involve you sending your unit away (my least favorite thing to consider). I myself was frustrated that a manufacturer-endorsed firmware upgrade caused my 1070 to puke, leaving me with a $30 shipping charge to get it back to them. Add to that that I don't REALLY think the no audio issue was resolved, and well, I understand your frustration. I think you need to make a decision - to stick by the Outlaws because you feel they're trying and they had their hearts in teh right place when they made the 1070 (where I'm at), or call it quits and seek out another company for your HT needs. Not an easy decision by any means, but your posts have gradually gotten more frustrated-sounding. Maybe it's time to make the decision?

I personally believe Outlaw deserves a fair shot at my business despite the issues. I think the HT receiver market is saturated with substandard products. I don't consider the 1070 substandard. Buggy yes, but not substandard. I think it's analagous to some performance cars. My friend had an Audi RS6 back in '03 - the car was a BEAST. But it was in the shop frequently. But it was also worth it to him, because when it was running right, with 400+ ponies and all wheel drive, it was a legitimate giant killer with style to match. I look at my 1070 with similar glasses. I think Outlaw is in it for their customers, and they're probably a little overwhelmed by these 'weird' hard to replicate issues. They may never fix it. But people will remember the 1070 for it's performance too. I know I will.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#73275 - 11/07/07 06:57 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
Gunslinger

RedSTinPA,

you got quite a good reading of what's going on. I truly tried to stick with Outlaw for their good sound. I have even recommended them to a friend of mine who just got the 970/7075 combo while being aware of the no audio bug. He's still in the first 30 days...

The no audio bug took me a while to get used to and it subsided considerably since I set the auto poll ON for the cable box and set the dolby mode on Ex instead of the 5.1 version.

The main thing is the total lack of confidence in the unit, in whatever is controlled by software.

That uneasy feeling that I don't know what to expect every time I press a button, or if the occasional lack of sound in the back speakers comes from the viewed materisl or from the receiver.

I would definitely love to see Scott's input on this thread, but probably it won't happen.

#73276 - 11/08/07 01:15 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
the 1070 & 970 might be buggy....but let me tell you....as soon as you play in the digital domain...and your processor or receiver is loaded with a motherboard...I personally think no one is shielded from the occasional lock up....a buddy of mine with an AVM 30...a unit worth much more than any Outlaw product...freezes up once in a while...and from what I understand...this happens when he's channel surfing...between HD stations and non-HD stuff....but always with a digital connection...
and let me ask you this....does your PC freeze once in a while ?
have you tried vista ?
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#73277 - 11/08/07 01:42 PM Re: DVI switching issue?
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

ugh please do not compare our 1070's with the boondoggle Vista OS. laugh
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts