Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7331 - 03/14/03 12:40 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JkFruit:
[B]Thanks everyone for your input.

D'Arbignal
That is not my post. BTW, what the link to that forum?

http://forums.smr-forums.com:8080/

Quote:

I do like the Paradigms, however their depths (Titan @ 10 3/4") make them not feasible, at least to my wife, for wall mount.

Have you considered in-wall speakers? There are some quite good ones available. In fact, I think even Meridian makes in-wall speakers these days.

Quote:

Looks like there are many possibilities.
  • The Def Tech Pro Cinema
  • AR Phantom 8.3
  • Vienna Acoustics Webern from the new SCHÖNBERG line
  • B&W VM1

I am not sure about the Cambridge line.
I like the look of AR, Vienna and B&W. They would match nicely with the silver plasma TV. Only if I could find them to audition.

Also, a friend of mine makes some really killer speakers. (I use some of his speakers in my bedroom system.) Check him out at http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and tell him Jeff sent you. He may have something you like, or perhaps he can do something custom to your specifications.

Jeff

#7332 - 03/14/03 01:42 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Have you considered in-wall speakers? There are some quite good ones available. In fact, I think even Meridian makes in-wall speakers these day

I have considered in-wall speakers, except there is not adequate space on the wall.

#7333 - 03/14/03 08:13 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Hmmm. Sounds like space is really really tight.

Definitely check out the Rutledge Audio Design page. Brian makes a set of speakers called the RAD Micros, designed at offering a higher-quality alternative to Bose speakers, that offer faithful playback from 85Hz-20kHz and only have a depth of 6".

Jeff

#7334 - 03/14/03 03:44 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I'll suggest M&K like I always do. (I'm sure people are getting sick of this by now ) Their smallest speaker line are their Xenon speakers. I've seen them in person next to Bose (yuck!) and they are about the same size. There's a great review of them on the "Secrets of Home Fidelity and Hi-Fi" site. Here are the two links.
www.mksound.com
www.hometheaterhifi.com

#7335 - 03/14/03 08:36 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
I'll suggest M&K like I always do. (I'm sure people are getting sick of this by now ) Their smallest speaker line are their Xenon speakers. I've seen them in person next to Bose (yuck!) and they are about the same size. There's a great review of them on the "Secrets of Home Fidelity and Hi-Fi" site. Here are the two links.
www.mksound.com
www.hometheaterhifi.com

M&K make excellent speakers. I highly recommend them.

Along the same lines, you might want to check out Atlantic Technology which are comparable, but not as good, as M&K.

Jeff

#7336 - 03/14/03 10:22 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
JkFruit,

Beings you wife prefers/suggests smaller speakers, she must also prefere smaller diamonds.

Ask her.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#7337 - 03/14/03 10:47 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
Quote:
Beings you wife prefers/suggests smaller speakers, she must also prefere smaller diamonds.
Ask her.

No need to ask. I thought it's embedded in the female's genetic that the bigger the diamonds the better...

Left work early today and stopped by a audio store to listen to the B&W VM1...it sounded like Bose...However, their in-wall CDM series sound pretty good. I would consider them except it would require some (may be alot) stud modifications to fit.
Sale person at another place also recommend NHT, he said it's similar to Paradigm. Any thought on this?

Looks like I should give M&K and NHT a try.

#7338 - 03/15/03 12:55 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
What holds for diamonds and size is also true with speakers, tell her.

I have read good things about both M&K and NHT speakers.

I would also consider DIY speakers. Accuton makes some drivers that have been used in some high-end systems that have gotten some excellent reviews. They make a couple of tweeters that have domes made out of ... diamond.

The diamond drivers are expen$ive, but the others, with ceramic diaphrams/domes, are reasonable for quality drivers.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited March 15, 2003).]

#7339 - 03/15/03 10:30 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Paradigm has an in wall also the "AMS-450" it uses the same drivers from the Studio line. The Bass/midrange is the size from the Studio 80 and the same tweeter as all of them. A buddy has them for his rear surrounds and the sound great. He plays a lot of multi-channel music and they sound great. We installed them in a breeze no issues at all.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#7340 - 03/15/03 08:57 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
Take advantage of Blose return policy and bring home the cheapest Boze made and A/B them with her. That should take care of that. If she's use to hearing her music from some studio 60s. Also take the Def Tech sub out of the loop and hook up the B.O.S.E(buy other stereo equipment) sub and put on a movie with bass that she is familiar with.

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited March 16, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited March 16, 2003).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts