Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7321 - 03/12/03 07:03 PM Wife prefers smaller speakers...
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Orange, CA
I have a minor issue, my wonderful wife (I really mean it ) thinks my front Paradigm Studio 60 are taking to much space. Does that sound familiar to anyone? She is suggesting smaller speakers and wall mountable (satellite she is thinking of) to go with the plasma TV.

What wall-mount speakers can I use that are comparable with the Paradigm Studios? I've just upgraded the Pioneer Elite to 950/7100 combo and do not want to down grade the front speakers, if you know what I mean.

The rest of the speakers are Def Tech PF-15TL Power Sub, Paradigm cc-170 Center and ADP-170 Surrounds.

[This message has been edited by JkFruit (edited March 12, 2003).]

#7322 - 03/12/03 08:05 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
charlie Offline
Desperado

No 'micro' is going to give sound like a good set of mid - full size speakers, but sometimes factors intervene - I understand

Have a look at the Cambridge Soundworks stuff; Not the best audio has to offer, but a good sounding set of very small speakers, very nice for unobtrusive HT and casual music listening.

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_package

I'm sure other 'micro' systems are out there too. How much 'intrusion' can she bear? It sounds like she wants the white cubes. Beware...

Avoid the Bose stuff. Some of the designs were OK, but the 'cube' based stuff pretty much sucks.

#7323 - 03/12/03 08:46 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Charlie has the right idea. And.... if you want to look at something else, try the DefTech Pro Cinema systems. You already have the sub, so youre set.

I just listened to them this past weekend actually and they are decent little speakers

And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Defintive fanatic, LOL

Please, stay away from Bose. Like all things though, let YOUR ears be the judge, not our opinions.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#7324 - 03/12/03 11:56 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

My first suround speakers when Dolby Pro Logic first came out were Bose Acoustimass(?) AM-10. Nice for being unobtrusive, but did not sound good at all. My wife did not mind when I got rid of it before . I definitely not going back to Bose.
At this time she is only suggesting, not demanding yet...In the mean time, it's a good excuse to audition new speakers...

#7325 - 03/13/03 12:36 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Did you just post on the SMR forums? Someone else just asked this same exact question there.

In any case, I stand by my answer: if you like the Paradigm sound, try their Titans.

Jeff

#7326 - 03/13/03 08:01 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
These might work, wall mountable, about as deep as most plasma TV's, same high tech look as a plasma TV, full range three way speaker. I guess it depends on your homes decor and the installation of your plasma TV (wall mounted ?) Could look pretty nice wall mounted flanking a wall mounted plasma screen. The sale price does includes matching stands, you can always call to see what type of deal these guys might cut with out the stands, they are pretty reasonable to deal with. Authorized dealer - new/closeout item - full 5yr mfrs wty.

Sorry, the direct link to the speakers did not work, www.accessories4less.com -> speakers -> "floor standing" -> AR Phantom 8.3 speakers / w-stands

http://accessories4less.com

[This message has been edited by Steve_C (edited March 13, 2003).]

#7327 - 03/13/03 10:25 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
If you like doing things yourself, you could probably build a design using some of the seas excel speakers... you could make a wide but shallow box for a custom speaker that should sound very good and with all the copper parts in the seas they would look really good.....

look at http://www.madisound.com

#7328 - 03/13/03 10:47 AM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you've got a plasma screen you might like the new SCHÖNBERG line from Vienna Acoustics. I was looking at the webern model but I have not found a local place to audition them yet. They are designed to be wall mountable and since they are vienna's they have to sound good right?

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/vienna_alum/webern.htm

#7329 - 03/13/03 07:41 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
MixFixJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vista, CA USA
I was also thinking Vienna Acoustics. Nice stuff. I'm considering the same solution for my new house's (yay, finally!) main entertainment space.
Of course, my gear will be in my "office".
Mix

#7330 - 03/13/03 09:33 PM Re: Wife prefers smaller speakers...
JkFruit Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks everyone for your input.

Quote:
Did you just post on the SMR forums? Someone else just asked this same exact question there.

D'Arbignal
That is not my post. BTW, what's the link to that forum?
I do like the Paradigms, however their depths (Titan @ 10 3/4") make them not feasible, at least to my wife, for wall mount.

Quote:
If you like doing things yourself, you could probably build a design using some of the seas excel speakers... you could make a wide but shallow box for a custom speaker that should sound very good and with all the copper parts in the seas they would look really good.....

Unferth
If I try to do it my self, it may not even look like a speaker , even if it comes in as a kit.

Looks like there are many possibilities.
  • The Def Tech Pro Cinema
  • AR Phantom 8.3
  • Vienna Acoustics Webern from the new SCHÖNBERG line
  • B&W VM1

I am not sure about the Cambridge line.
I like the look of AR, Vienna and B&W. They would match nicely with the silver plasma TV. Only if I could find them to audition.

At this time, I am only reseaching. No budget is set. I would guess $1000-$1500 if I would have to pick a range.
I am still recovering from recent vehicle and 950/7100 purchases and am waiting for that horrible April 15 tax deadline...There may not be any thing left for speaker budget .

I prefer to keep the Paradigm Studio 60 but if I have to get wall mount, at least it has to sound good to me as it would look equally good to my other.

corrected errors

[This message has been edited by JkFruit (edited March 14, 2003).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM