Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73135 - 09/10/07 12:36 PM Video Processing
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I have had my 1070 for close to one year and have it set up as a 3.1 system. I was using an old analog tv with connections from the DVD directly to the TV, audio going through the 1070. I recently upgraded the TV to an LG42LB5D, playing through a Mototorola DCT6200 STB. As I don't have a DVI cable, the TV is connected via component cable from the STB. The picture on the TV is excellent in HD and good in SD, but the SD picture is in 4:3. When switched to 16:9 the picture gets stretched with too much distortion. When I connect the STB to the 1070 with a DVI and then DVI to HDMI out to the TV, what effect will the 1070 have on the picture? In other words, is there a chance that the processing on the receiver will be able to stretch the picture with better interpretation than the TV apparently has where there will be less distortion. My Sony (no av components attached) seems to do that better, but I am using a cable card on that set and not an STB...don't know if that matters. Also, if I connect the 1070 via DVI, will the signal just pass through to the TV without the receiver being turned on (I realize I won't get any video processing unless it is on). Sorry for this long and probably rambling message, but I am trying to locate where my problem is and how I best go about addressing it.

#73136 - 09/10/07 12:46 PM Re: Video Processing
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Have you set the STB for aspect ratio? I have an LG LST-4200a and it has a setting. I have it set to use the aspect ratio set by the program, no stretching or compressing. The 1070 isn't going to affect the picture in any case. It doesn't have an aspect ratio setting.

#73137 - 09/10/07 02:26 PM Re: Video Processing
nortynorty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Bob. Yes, the STB is set to TV type: 16:9 and the TV is set to "set by program". Thanks for the info about the 1070 not having an aspect ratio setting, but is there any video processing? Is there an advantage to running a video signal through the 1070 as opposed to connecting directly from the source to the TV?

#73138 - 09/10/07 06:02 PM Re: Video Processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1070's DVI switching makes no changes to the signal. It's DVI switching is there as a convenience for cases where your display has fewer DVI or HDMI inputs than you have DVI or HDMI sources. The component switching is similar (convenience) with the secondary convenience benefit of transcoding composite and s-video sources to component.

Your description of what the Motorola box is doing makes me think that it isn't properly pillarboxing 4:3 content, something which needs to be done at the cable box. The Sony (since it has a cable card interface) would be handling that internally rather than relying on an outside source to do it, which is likely why you are seeing different behavior. I'd check your Motorola box's controls some more, as something may be there to allow this adjustment.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts