Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73128 - 08/31/07 07:28 AM To listen at low or loud levels?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Hello to my fellow Outlaws:

I would like to ask all of you about the levels of volume you listen to and what you think sound best.

Note my system, I use audiophile speakers for my mains and a very high end (modified) DVD player. The 1070 is rated at 65 watts for all channels. I use the DVD multi channel analog inputs which usaes a crosser at 80hz and i set the bass management for LF/HF pass so I get analog bass management.

The two types of music that I favor most are classic rock and classical. I have found that certain Cd sounds pretty good at low levels yet most sound much better when they are played loud.

Just before I was listening to Deep Purple - Machine Head remastered. At first I was not pleased yet when I pumped up the volume I was very pleased. This 1972 classic has some great songs. Space trucking sounds awesoem when played loud. The instruments separate nicely and the drums are like thunder.

I love to sound of big orchestral music. One of my favorites is Shostakowitsch symphony number 8. The third movemnet (Alllegro non troppo) can really fil a room and is so intense! I have two versions of this performance and both are powerful and give a sense of huge depth of soundstage. Again, I find I have to play this one loud to enjoy the music.

Could it be that I need more power. The sensitivy of my Alons are 87db.

What volumes to you listen to when playing stereo music? Do you also need to crank it up to enjoy? There is some music i have to is fine up to levels yet I prefer to play it loud.

I at thinking of trying my friend's VTL compact 100 tube monoblocks. I can use teh 1070 as I preamp for the mains and as a amp for teh center and surrounds and powered sub.

Do any of you use a different amp to power your mains? Has anyone here used tubes amps with a 1070 or outlaw pre/pro?

I really want to hear from all of you on this one so please, reply soon.

Liz awaiting......
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#73129 - 08/31/07 06:28 PM Re: To listen at low or loud levels?
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
Your post reminds me of a "problem" I also had with volumes. Originally I had the 970/7075 combo. For the most part I was pleased with the combination. Initially I was using Athena Technologies AS FS 2.2 for the mains. Again, it sounded alright - at least better than using a reciever (tried Onkyo,Denon,Marantz all sounded good, but low powered). I then purchased a set of speakers from Axiom - M80 mains, 150 centre, M3 surround and some Magnats for SR. The M80 were supposed to be highly efficient at 95 db / 4ohm but I was disappointed in the volume levels. They just sounded underpowered. I then started looking at a separate amp for the mains. I purchased an ATI 1202 for the mains. What a difference. The M80 's come alive. My preference is also classic rock and action/sci-fi for movies. My room is large 36 x 14 with a main listening/viewing area of 12 x 14. This whole hobby is very personal is what I have found based on personal tastes, budgets and lifestyles. From you post it sounds like you feel that you need a bigger amp for the mains. It would be interesting to see where this takes you.

#73130 - 09/01/07 03:00 AM Re: To listen at low or loud levels?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Seems to me that when I made Audio DVDs by burning the WAV files as normal 16 bit 44.1 khz , the DVD player interpolates the Disc as a DVD. plays it louder then when I play the CD.

Anybody else notice this?
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts