Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73010 - 06/18/07 04:32 AM Calibrating multi channel speakers
greenrover Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Olympia, WA
Greatings Outlaws,
I am attempting to spec out a home theatre system for our living room remodel that will fit into a custom cabinet my better half is having built.

The living space will not easily accomodate a properly wired 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system so I have been researching multi channel or DSP systems.

I originally had settled on a YSP 1100 but after some further research a second possibilty may be a 1070 combined with Kef fivetwo Model 7 speakers and an LFM-1 compact subwoofer.
I am looking for some guidance on calibrating the multi chanel speakers in a large (20'x25' with vaulted ceiling) using the 1070 and the multi channel Kef's.

We do not think we will require high sound levels since the entire living space will not be devoted to the home theatre, I may be able to post a room sketch if that would help.

I am looking forward to everyone's input.

Thanks,

Mike

#73011 - 06/18/07 01:37 PM Re: Calibrating multi channel speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1070's manual has some very good instructions on calibrating a system. Basically, you want an SPL meter (which can be had at Radio Shack typically), at which point you use the internal test tones or a calibration disc to adjust the level for each channel. You also want to set speaker distances, which just requires a tape measure and a few minutes.

#73012 - 06/18/07 11:10 PM Re: Calibrating multi channel speakers
greenrover Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk,
I think maybe I worded my question poorly, the Kef speakers have all of the 5.1 channels except the LF radiated from just the two speakers The speakers have seperate connections for center, left, right and the surrounds.
Will I have a problem adjusting the seperate channel levels?

Thanks,
Mike

#73013 - 06/18/07 11:48 PM Re: Calibrating multi channel speakers
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

I believe you will be able to calibrate the Kefs. Make sure you exhaust all options before getting a simulated surround system. I had the Yamaha ysp-800 and it did not come close to a real 5.1 system. So if you are picky about your sound you may be disappointed. If you have no choices then the Yamaha, Kefs, Polk Surround Bar are should do a acceptable job. By the way the Yamaha will be much more sensitive to your room setup vs the Kefs or Polk Surroundbar.

#73014 - 06/19/07 12:15 AM Re: Calibrating multi channel speakers
greenrover Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks titleist,
The room is being remodeled in stages and there is room for a left, right and center channel but installing the surrounds will be difficult.
I found the Kef's by accident researching the wireless solution from a link on the AVS site.

I am trying to set myself up for a proper 5.1 or 7.1 set up down the road.
The 1070 manual is a bit vague, is there a surround sound setting that would function with just the left, right and center channels initially and then I could add the surounds at a later date?

Thanks,
Mike

#73015 - 06/19/07 12:29 AM Re: Calibrating multi channel speakers
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

I've never had a partial setup so I am not sure if there is a surround mode that will simulate surround sound with just the front 3 channels

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts