Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#72762 - 04/29/07 02:05 AM Re: Latest beta firmware
SP72 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
Look like the audio bug will not be fixed by the firmware update without returning the unit back to the factory.

See my posted below in the 970 forum.

Quote:
Gonk,
After review the below Errata of the CS42528 from Cirrus website, look like the "no audio" issues is causing by the DAC circuitry and the firmware fix will not resolve the whole problems without some minor hardware modifications (including PCB layout).

I talked to Steve couple weeks ago and he is really confident that is just a software probems and it will be fixed.

I just returned my 1070 to get the 970/7075/LFM-2 combo and installed the same beta firmware. The no audio issues happen more often than my old 1070. It is also explain why the no audio problem is causing by the CS42528 DAC implementation.

Hopefully my assumption is wrong and Outlaw will release an official firmware fix soon, that will make a lot of folks here happy.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586D1.pdf
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586C3.pdf
http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/errata/ER586A2.pdf

Oppo 981
Samsung 40"LCD

#72763 - 04/29/07 01:30 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I still think that's an unfounded assumption. If it were a problem that a chip or board replacement fixed, they could have done it last year and been done with it. It would have been no different than the DTS-ES fix that they did with the 950 (which lacked a serial port).

#72764 - 05/01/07 01:48 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
Well...
reports of "no audio" after the upgrade exist
errata from Cirrus exist
Steve is no longer with Outlaw

No so sure what to believe anymore. Today is May 1, I received my unit on April 13 and I haven't gotten it fixed yet (Steve was supposed to send me a memory chip, but, according to Scott, he failed to do so as the day he talked to me was his last day with Outlaw Audio). This doesn't warm me up too much. I'm the sucker with a faulty unit in my house, still waiting for a replacement component from Outlaw, using the receiver with the remote in my hand, for if during watching an HD channel a commercial in stereo kicks in, I have to bounce the sources in order to restore the sound (not always, but I gotta be ready).
When I asked Scott (after he realized that Steve left me hanging) to send me the chip via a faster carrier than USPS he said that it's too expensive to do so for such a small item. By comparison, when Audio Advisor failed to send me what they promised and I called them next day to complain that I didn't get the shipping notification via email, they apologized and sent me the item "next day air", to make up for their error, and that was a heavy subwoofer, for which FedEx next day air amounted to $60.
Wouldn't a company with "great customer support" try to quickly compensate for any errors on their side?
Would you consider "great service" waiting for two weeks to have an item you bought new to get fixed?
Would you consider "great service" for a company to send you the replacement chip rather than offering "on the spot" to have the unit returned on their dime and fixed by them? I'm technical enough to pull out a chip and insert the other, that's why I accepted Steve's request to do the replacement myself, but still, I don't even imagine a strong company attempting such a thing during the first 30 days after the purchase.
Please convince me that my experience with Outlaw is an unfortunate exception and that they're worth to be with...

#72765 - 05/01/07 03:42 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Alexandru,

It was nice speaking with you again today. As we discussed I do want to reiterate my deepest apologies for your experiences thus far.

That said, I do think there was a "bit" of miscommunication here, which I do take responsibility for.

Unfortunately, USPS should have been just as fast as an express shipment through Fed Ex or UPS (based on your location).

As there was some concern that the shipment had been mishandled by the USPS, it was my understanding that your were worried with the reliability of that carrier. Since I was confident this was not the case, we shipped via the USPS.

That said, I'm confident you'll be up and running in no time and thus back in love with Outlaw Audio and your gear. I will stay in direct contact with you until then.

Best Regards,

Scott

#72766 - 05/01/07 05:30 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
gonk Offline
Desperado

Scott will take care of you, Alex.

Massachusetts to Pennsylvania... Knowing how much of a hassle FedEx can be with home deliveries sometimes, I can see where USPS might be preferred when the travel distance is so small and time savings potentially nonexistent (Priority Mail has gotten a couple packages to me from the west coast to Tennessee in two business days lately).

#72767 - 05/01/07 05:44 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
Gunslinger

Hi Scott,

I'm in total agreement to share the responsibility for the miscommunication you mention about choosing USPS over FedEx or UPS.

Yes, I was concerned mostly about of the lack of a tracking feature with regular USPS, but by that I meant that a tracking number would have covered ANY delays, including the ones happening at Outlaw (and I was, unfortunately, right, the package didn't leave when it was supposed to, as I've learned today, not that this is any of your personal fault). Without a tracking number, one is left guessing what might have happened when the awaited package doesn't arrive in due time. Was it shipped late or at all, lost in transit, or what? When this uncertainty falls on top of frustration generated by a malfunctioning unit, it's easy to understand my feelings...

Since I didn't stress hard enough why I was preferring FedEx or UPS over USPS and your choice of USPS was allowing for the package to eventually arrive on Saturday without being otherwise slower, I will take back my implied statement that "you chose the cheapest carrier just to save a dollar or two" and I'm happy to share, or even to assume, the blame for the miscommunication. Let this be the least of our concerns. Everything else, though, stays.

Let's hope that the USPS package which left Outlaw Audio on Monday instead of Friday will arrive tomorrow.
Let's hope that the upgrade will work and that the "no audio" issue will become a thing of the past and that these almost three weeks of frustration will be fully compensated by the great sound the unit is capable of and then some.
Let's hope that this poor start of mine with Outlaw audio will turn into a nice and happy long-run relationship.

#72768 - 05/01/07 11:37 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
I sure hope it all works out for you.... laugh
that 1070 sounds so good...
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#72769 - 05/05/07 07:48 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
Gunslinger

In all honesty and fairness I feel compelled to write this message.

Today I have received the replacement unit which was already upgraded by Scott with the latest firmware. The result is an Outlaw 1070 FREE of the now infamous "no audio" bug, at least as far as I've experienced. And I've tried all the scenarios that were exposing it before, with the stock firmware. The unit didn't flinch. It didn't lose its grip on the audio format no matter what. I believe this latest firmware is a winner over the "no audio" bug.

As far as Outlaw Audio customer service goes, this time they lived up to their reputation. Everything Scott said was delivered "verbatimely", via overnight delivery and Saturday delivery. Quite a feast.

When I was displeased with Outlaw Audio, albeit there was a misunderstanding in there too and my situation was a pretty odd line-up of mishaps, I mentioned Audio Advisor for comparison. I'll do it again, this time reversed. AA won't send the replacement unit unless the one to be replaced was already received by them or you would be billed twice, with them crediting your credit card upon receiving the replaced unit. Outlaw Audio sent me the replacement unit before receiving the "faulty" one and without billing me twice. On this one, they rose above AA.

Bottom line, my hopes came true. This is a happy-ending story in spite of a less-than-happy start.

At this point I am a very satisfied customer.

PS I'll also use this opportunity to mention something else about Audio Advisor. They proved to be a true advisor for me. They mentioned Outlaw Audio to me in spite of the fact that they don't carry their products and there was no profit for them in mentioning Outlaw...

#72770 - 05/05/07 08:53 PM Re: Latest beta firmware
gonk Offline
Desperado

Glad to hear that things are worked out!

#72771 - 05/06/07 12:00 AM Re: Latest beta firmware
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
That's great news Alex...thanks for the update!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM