Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#72394 - 11/04/06 10:55 PM External Amp - Add'l Speakers
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harleysville, PA
Just installed some add'l ceiling speakers in my kitchen & dining room. I connected a small Yamaha 25W 4 channel amp to the L/R Pre-out of the 1070 to drive my external speakers. Because of the 1070 variable ouput, when attempting to pipe music to the additional speakers, I have to turn the volume up on the 1070 so loud to get the sound in the additional speakers to a normal listening level. With the volume up so loud my main speakers overpowers everything, even in the other rooms!!

I know the 1070 isn't a multizone system, however, but when listening to music in stereo I would like to hear it in the additional rooms at normal listening levels also...

Does anyone have any setup suggestions to achieved normal listening levels in all rooms?
Or is anyone using the 1070 connected to an external amp to drive additional speakers other than your main 5.1/7.1 speakers?

In my main room I have Def-Tech in-wall speakers all around, the RLS II's reference series for the front, Bipolar's BP/A rear, and they Mytho's 7 center. I just put a couple of pair of Paridigm C50R (basic ceiling speakers)...
Def Tech Mythos Seven, center
Polk Audio Atrium 55, outdoor patio
SVS PB12-NSD
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling kitchen
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling dining room
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR
Toshiba 50” Plasma, 50HP66

#72395 - 11/04/06 11:42 PM Re: External Amp - Add'l Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Does the little Yamaha amp have gain controls for its channels? If so, you may need to tweak those a bit to even things out. What may also be happening is that splitting the pre-amp outputs reduces the signal, resulting in at least some of the imbalance you are hearing (although I think that's a secondary effect in this case).

If the Yamaha amp has gain control or you can add an external volume control (similar to the first device on this page ) between it and the 1070, you could consider using the tape output to drive the Yamaha. That would decouple the main system volume control from the other rooms. Since the tape output only gets analog inputs, you'd need to make analog connections from the sources you want to hear in the other room even though your main zone may not need them (the tape output would see the analog signal while the 1070 used the digital signal for your main zone). It's sort of a quirky way to create a second zone, but it might get the job done for your situation.

#72396 - 11/05/06 10:59 AM Re: External Amp - Add'l Speakers
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gonk... The Yamaha does have gain controls. Mainly I would like to hear my Ipod (AUX) and my CD player (Optical2) in the other rooms. I like the idea of using the tape output to drive the Yamaha...sounds like that would work. Since the AUX is already analog, I will connect the CD analog outputs also. Stay tuned, I will let you know how it works out!!! Thanks
SVS PB12-NSD
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR

#72397 - 11/05/06 02:14 PM Re: External Amp - Add'l Speakers
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

gonk, you are Da Man!!!

It works, just the way I vision it when I installed the ceiling speakers in the other rooms!!! Heck, even the digital input from my satellite receiver comes through on the tape output...

Thanks again...
SVS PB12-NSD
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR

#72398 - 11/05/06 03:01 PM Re: External Amp - Add'l Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Excellent! Glad to hear that it worked.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 144 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts