Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#72361 - 11/03/06 12:29 PM No Volume control on 1070
propup Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NY
This is very strange, but a 1070 has simply lost volume contol. The remote does not adjust master volume, and turning the 1070 vol control does *nothing*... was working fine, and I'm sure something was changed but I am stumped!
I did fully power down, and power up. I can change inputs and run other menu items... just no volume control!

What should I be looking for here?

#72362 - 11/03/06 12:39 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So turning the knob doesn't even change the volume level on the display? If it were just the remote, I'd suspect a problem with the remote setting (punch through not enabled or some unfortunate reprogramming), but that wouldn't affect the front panel control as well. Is there sound coming from the unit? Are there headphones plugged in? When you turn it on, does it go to the volume level you have set as default (or to the last volume level, if you have it set up that way)? As you can tell from my assortment of questions, I can't think of any straightforward solutions. If none of my questions help, you could always give the Outlaws a call and see what they can offer.

#72363 - 11/03/06 01:05 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
propup Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank for your quick reply gonk.
This is troubling...
I went to the unit to double-check the power-on default volume levels... So once again, I put into standby, Powered off, powered on, pressed standby and guess what? I now have audio, and can control with both the know and the remote.
I had just done this two times prior to sending to the forum.

FWIW: One fairly recent change was adding a 2nd set top box. (A DISH sat receiver) Prior to this, I had a Microsoft MCE server and a Cable set-top box (CableVision, which I think is scientific) Even with the DISH it all worked for several days before this issue however.

Below is what I was ABOUT to post to you:

-Turning the front knob has NO effect
-No sound at all from 1070
-No headphones plugged in and the level is full off
-Power on default volume had not been changed that I recall, but when I went to check and restart .. as I mentioned above it seems to be working again!

#72364 - 11/03/06 01:55 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, it's good that it's working now, but it's definitely odd that it wasn't working before.

If I remember the 1070's manual (and the behavior of my old 950, which I think is similar in this regard), the current volume is normally displayed in one corner of the front panel display. During the mute/frozen events, do you recall what volume setting was displayed there? If it was just stuck on -70dB (or whatever the minimum volume setting is), that would be one thing, but if it was reporting some normal volume level and still not playing anything from multiple inputs that would be a bit more odd...

#72365 - 11/03/06 07:35 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
propup Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It was defintately not -7-dB... I think it was -30dB. At one point (after many remote vol + presses with seconds in between presses) the display did change. I forgot to mention this before, sorry. But it only changed that one time. (I think from -30dB to something like -22dB)
After that, no amount of vol + / - on the remote or the front knob had any effect, and there was no audio out, even after two full power resets of all gear. The 3rd time, as I mentioned seemed to work.

I have a support call open on this, and they seem to think it has to do with firmware, but I applied the update to this and another 1070 in a seperate room about two months ago. (the other 1070 btw has the EXACT same equipment connected and has not had this issue)

So for now, it's unsolved but working.
I'll post any findings.
Thanks for your time on this gonk! Much appreciated.
Don

#72366 - 11/04/06 09:24 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harleysville, PA
I had the exact same problem a while back. I applied the "no audio" firmware upgrade and haven't had that exact problem since.

Now, occassionaly after I power on the receiver, I get the no audio problem. But if I switch the input to another source the audio comes on....
Def Tech Mythos Seven, center
Polk Audio Atrium 55, outdoor patio
SVS PB12-NSD
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling kitchen
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling dining room
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR
Toshiba 50” Plasma, 50HP66

#72367 - 11/05/06 01:26 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
propup Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Interesting. I did in fact try switching inputs back and forth several times between the three sources I have configured, but it did not help.
I also had gone through setup to make sure that the config was correct for each source, and it was.

I also did not mention this earlier, but I am using only digital inputs in this setup. (on both 1070s... as I mentioned, I have two purchased at the same time with identical sources configured and both have been flashed)
-The MCE server is connected via TOSLINK 1
-The cable set-top box is connected via RCA 2
-The Sat set-top box is connected via TOSLINK 3
The output is a 5.1 config

#72368 - 11/10/06 04:58 AM Re: No Volume control on 1070
JHoff80 Offline
Gunslinger

I've had an issue like this a couple times before. For me at least, it seems to be connected to the loose optical cable on my PC end. (The output isn't deep enough for it to snap in properly.) If the cable comes out while the source is being used, then i have an issue like this, that is fixed by switching the receiver into standby and then back on. Could this possibly be whats happening with you?

#72369 - 12/03/06 07:25 PM Re: No Volume control on 1070
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harleysville, PA
Okay.... Now I'm having this problem with a lot more frequency... One thing I noticed is that the volume level readings do change (i.e. -32db to -28db) however, no audio is heard from the speakers. To unfreeze, I select another input (however, the new input must have an active signal) or I power the unit off, then select another input with an active signal to power on...

Also, periodically, I get garbled audio, which I must power the system on & off to clear... Just this weekend, audio went out in the middle of playing... I had been listing to CD's & my iPod (thru the Aux input) for about 2 hours, when the sound stopped. Again I power on & off, the sound returned.

Does anyone know the definitive solution to these audio problems???

The 1070 sounds GREAT, Really it DOES!!! But with all the quirks/bugs... is it all worth it? I was considering getting the Rotel 1057 when I brought this, I'm beginning to think maybe I should have spent the few extra hundred to get the Rotel...
Def Tech Mythos Seven, center
Polk Audio Atrium 55, outdoor patio
SVS PB12-NSD
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling kitchen
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling dining room
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR
Toshiba 50” Plasma, 50HP66

#72370 - 12/04/06 12:18 AM Re: No Volume control on 1070
D W Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Interesting.... I just received my new B stock 1070 a few days ago, and I'm having very similar problems. Not with the volume control, but the other stuff you mentioned. Plus, the output to my subwoofer goes dead sometimes when I first turn on the receiver, or when I change sources or surround modes.

And just like your unit, I have to fool around changing sources or turn the unit off and back on again to fix these problems.

I've been thinking my problems were probably because this was a B stock unit that had been returned and not thoroughly checked out by Outlaw. But now I'm beginning to wonder......

Like you said, this is one GREAT sounding receiver (I was stunned by the sound quality when I hooked it up), but maybe just not worth the hassle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 203 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts