Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#7244 - 02/13/03 11:24 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
jleone188 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've had a 1050 for two years now. My room sounds pretty similar, small and odd shaped, room size is approximately 11' by 20'. I am currently running 5 Anthony Gallo Acoustics Micro speakers along with a velodyne subwoofer and have had plenty of power for HT and great stereo sound. They are also well within your budget. I will probably be stepping up to the Due model released recently as I have recently finished my basement and will need a more powerful speaker. Check them out at roundsound.com. I have been very pleased with the sound.

#7245 - 02/23/03 01:00 AM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
yeh, i really really like any of the pardigm lines...they sound sorta like my Rodgers, but at at least half the price. i recommend em all the time. i do also like the mirages at that price point. i solved my rear sourround space problem with the 10.1 QR maggie. it's only 10 inches wide! and it has the quasi-ribbon, too. i have little 'wings' at the rear of the room. room is 16ft. wide and they come out about a foot and a half to separate that room from the one i'm in now...i get great sound back here, also...from the front 1.6's. am about seven more feet behind the 'listening' couch. so the sofa back is pretty much the wall that seperates the two rooms. now if i only had a ten foot screen!
am selling next month...after 12 years of getting the room 'just so'.
anyway...maggie now makes a wall mount system (cept for the center, i think) that is close to this budget...if not look at their $550pr. mini mags...with the ribbon now! (i think). the 10.1's were dicontinued a few years ago which is a shame. they were made to use as a 3 piece, sub/sat...they brick wall anything below 80 hz....which is purr-fect for rear surrounds!
you can sometimes find em used and maggie or a dealer can re-furb em. i talked a friend from england into a re-fabbed older pair at a dealers in iowa...without the ribbons...for 450; he still loves em. i sold maggies & others many years ago...sold a lotta that one...paired with a h-k reciever usually...and thorens table..koetsu cartridge...they all returned to thank me for what they were now hearing.
and now they got ribbons..there's a larger model for about $950...the magic number! and the wall hangin ones at ...i don't know what they're priced at.
that and a good servo controlled sub...and you can be in nirvana tonite!
and oh yeh...the velodyne is a good place to look. haven't got one..but they and M & K kinda pioneered that whole area! first velo we demoed...would squawk keeping up with the c-j valve pushing the maggies or time windows...the rep popped it open (outboard control/amp) and made an on board adjustment...problem solved...i think it was celestions SL-6's over the sota table. ...and the owner wouldn't stock em..cause??? i don't know why! (too many accoustat subs lying around nobody wanted,i think)
silly man. he went outa business, too! and we was the on-liest dealer of adcom for many states around. long live rock n roll...

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 23, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 23, 2003).]

#7246 - 02/23/03 01:17 AM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

but i just looked at the velodynes...to techy for me. i love the looks of the paradigm...they have several lines...u can get good deals on stands from audio advisor(.com). i have a whole garage full of them now. wharfedale now makes a really good and good looking system in that price point...AA again there. If you are good at DYI you can get unbelievable sound for that much moo-la. lotsa places on the net for that...their used to be a site for the 'diana' speaker...looked like the maggie but used conventional drivers...i almost bought a pair...why didn't i? they were very low cost and slim and attractive. maybe u could get a date with some...anybody remember them? they advrted in sterophile for like forever. Steroph. finally auditioned them...it was a luke warm review...but i think the reviewer was just embarrased at what you can get sound from...without mortgaging your house. i think that was so long ago cause it was in their little bitty mag days. still have a few.

#7247 - 02/23/03 11:39 AM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

have u seen the Anthena Point 5? 800 bucks and very well built. they're listed in the dec. 2002 sound & vision in the 'reviewer's choice' awards. the sats are fairly small with matching center & sub. sub is small but the reviewer liked it....athenaspeakers.com...
NHT is a company i really like. you can roll your own or get a all in one package from them.
and then there is Cambridge audio. great company...and the prices are like....outlaw's, cause they're 'net' only purchases.

#7248 - 02/28/03 12:28 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
Have you looked at Ascend Acoustics(ascendacoustics.com)? Read reviews at audioreview.com, cheaphometheater.com, in The $ensible Sound issue 92 and in issue 94's Annual Recommended Componets section, or at SoundStages ... http://soundstage.com/revequip/...tics_cmb170.htm

170s all away around with a HSU-VTF2 sub is well under $1500.

The suggested list you already have is good too. I'd add Totem Dreamcatchers to it.

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited February 28, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited February 28, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited March 02, 2003).]

#7249 - 03/09/03 04:28 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Paradigm speakers are terrific value for your money. You should also consider PSB and Energy, both of whom make excellent bang-for-the-buck speakers.

In addition, my friend Brian Bunge runs a small speaker-making business that offers outstanding values for a small price. I have one of his systems in my bedroom and love it. The URL for his site is http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com . Tell him Jeff sent ya!

Jeff

#7250 - 03/09/03 06:55 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
I'ld reccomend Paradigms Mini Monitors, the CC370, either the mini monitor or the adp170, and a svs sub. The ADP170, or the mini is up to your taste in surround sound. Some people prefer the "diffused" sound of a di-polar speaker, I myself still prefer the sound of a direct radiating speaker for my surrounds. I dont know why but something just sounded better with the direct radiating speakers vs. the di-poles when I was demoing my surrounds.

I'm currently running a Monitor 11/Monitor 3 setup for my HT, and I have to say I am absolutly blown away by the clarity. Recently I've been doing a ton of 2 channel listening and I have to say the 11's are DEAD SOLID in terms of immaging, clarity, and sound quality. Good quality recordings sound GREAT. (I just picked up Willy Nelson's Stardust and I have to say...well...I cant realy express myself properly. It is exceptional, truely a devine listening experiance.) I have a fairly good size move library (over 150 titles), and watch a film 3-5 times a week. But recently my cd's have been geeting more play in my system. I wasn't a huge 2 ch man before, but after a year and a half with the monitor 11's I've discovered a whole new world to the world of musical recordings.

Depending on how much you think you'll listen to music, you may want to check out the 11's and a CC370 (or another front/center combination), and move those JBL's to handle the surround channels. Like I said, I was one of the unconverted untill I had a chance to listen to music the way it should be heard. Now I'm totaly taken back and cant get enough of the 2ch stuff!

Jason

#7251 - 03/09/03 11:33 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
A lot of the dipole/direct-radiating debate depends on whether your priority is movie or music. Movies benefit from the diffuse soundfields of dipoles to help immerse you in the scenery, but dipoles make the imaging slightly weaker for music.

I believe the new THX Ultra 2 spec calls for a mixture of dipoles and direct radiating speakers in the rears and sides. I don't recall the exact specification.

Jeff

#7252 - 03/10/03 07:39 AM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
Intimus Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new boston, nh usa
Another excellent speaker setup can be had here ...

www.aperionaudio.com

Definately worth considering. The 10" and 12" subs are two of the best kept secrets there are. All around great speakers.

#7253 - 03/26/03 08:21 PM Re: $1,500 budget for HT speaker setup...help?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey LMGotts, give kit speakers a serious consideration, especially for the budget you have. There's someone else besides myself who's gotten the taste of DIY quality. I'll back up zacster's words. My experience with Madisound's speaker kit was a pleasant surprise. I bought their Vifa A/V and Solo kit for my HT and it was money well spent (& saved). I hear more people commenting on how good these speakers sound. They compare to those costing $1000 or more per pair. Clarity and details are fantastic for speakers costing only $260 each. My friends are upset after listening to my speakers because they spent more on theirs than I did and yet don't sound as good as mine. Part of commercial brand's price comes from cosmetic design (not that Madisound's kit looks bad), advertising, middleman's fee and ... etc. What you end up getting after all that taken out isn't much. Or you'll have to pay a lot more to get the quality. Skip all the name brands and get the DIY kit. You won't be disappointed.

As for the sub, once again, DIY kit can't be beat for price vs. performance. I have Adire Audio's Shiva with homemade enclosure and I couldn't be happier for spending only $400 on it. Look up www.acoustic-visions.com/ for products and www.audioreview.com/pscSpeakers/Subwoofers for reviews on Shiva. The commercial brands at that price range? Forget it. Mine outperforms a $1000 sub by Klipsch. While typical subs from brands like Polk, Paradigm, Infinity, Velodine and JBL can bark like a German shepherd, Shiva roars like a lion. Again, skip all the name brands and get the DIY kit. You won't be disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts