Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#72240 - 08/25/06 04:49 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
The OSD and the source are both scrolling perfectly in synch and the OSD is positioned correctly.

I also changed the video input from "Auto" to "Composite" for both and it didn't affect things. Unremarkably if I switched to an unused input type (i.e. S-Video or Component) the OSD snapped back into place properly.

I called earlier and spoke to Steve. He informed me that apparently they've had problems before with particular video games causing problems with the video transcoding. After discussing the issue he suggested that I isolate the devices causing the problem from the signal path and check again. Apparently someone else had a problem with their video due to a bad ground on their satellite receiver coming through into their signal path. After removing everything else feeding a signal in I tried again and there was no change.

Steve also suggested that I try feeding in a different source on the same composite inputs that are causing the problem. I'll probably eventually run a good dozen or so DVDs through it, but honestly I doubt whether I'll be able to recreate it. Out of about 20 some-odd Gamecube titles only this small part of one game has ever caused any issue. Likewise the input itself seems to be unrelated since it has occured with two different sources on two completely different inputs.

It also bears mentioning that aside from the vertical hold the video is transcoding correctly. I stil get a good picture with proper color and everything. It just won't stay still!

#72241 - 08/26/06 05:03 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
LittleRockGator Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Harleysville, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgand:
...I called earlier and spoke to Steve..... Apparently someone else had a problem with their video due to a bad ground on their satellite receiver coming through into their signal path.
That someone was me. I worked with Steve for weeks trying to resolve my problem. However, I still have the vertical hold problem.

To make a long story short (I hope), I moved into a new home. So I sort of completely changed out my entire stereo/HT system. I brought the 1070 about 3 months b4 the house was ready for me to move in, so it sat in my garage in the box during construction. Also, I had a 50" Toshiba plasma hung over the fireplace, Def Tech RLS II in-wall speakers installed, & I divorced myself from Comcast, by going w/DirecTV.

The day my local audio techs installed my in-wall speakers & plasma TV, the DirecTV technician was here installing the satellite. After hanging the plasma & installing the speakers, the audio guys couldn't get my 1070 to play. I couldn't either. I thought maybe I needed to calibrate/adjust/setup something first because it was new, so I told them to leave it, I'll figure it out later. Strangely enough, it played later after several power off & on's. Even until yesterday, occassionally I would still get the "no audio" problem (I just installed the new firmware, hopefully that solves that problem).

Back to the vertical hold issue. I begin to notice a scrolling color bar in my video. The video itself did not scroll, just a "reddish" color bar would continually scroll on the screen. However, this scrolling color band, only appears when playing the signal through my 1070. The local audio guys told me it was a grounding problem. So they gave me some 3-prong to 2-prong converters... that didn't work. I had DirecTV back out to rerun the cable from the Satellite to their box, which actually helped some, so I thought. Until last week I tried to watch a football game in surround sound mode, w/both the video & audio coming from the 1070. I immediately begin to get the scrolling color band. So now, I just don't view the video signal through the 1070. Although, Steve has been very helpful & I love the sound quality of the 1070, I still don't feel quite good about it.... Because of the "no audio" problem, I think I blew my in-wall Def-Tech speakers. One day I turned the 1070 on, to listen to a CD, but I got no audio. So I turned up the volume, still no audio... then I switch inputs... still no audio.... turned up volume some more... still no audio... so I powered it down & back up.... boy did I get audio.... since that time I swear, the highs don't sound clear, they sound very static-like (i'm contacting my local audio guys to see what's up)... Prior to that I really loved the audio sound that I was getting from the 1070... I guess my overall dissatisfaction comes down to, I have a TV that's mounted on the wall, it's a chore to get to the inputs to make changes; speakers that are mounted in a wall, so if I have problems I have to call a technician for a home visit and possibly a carpenter; and an AVR that I brought off the Internet, the only technican is a voice over the phone...not someone that I could bring to my house to show my problems, or go to their store so I can be shown what to do. Then to top that off, I can't used the AVR for what it was intended (I can't pass the video signal to it)..

The best thing is Steve gave me the link to the saloon.. I will keep watching to see if someone post a resolution to the vertical hold issue.... I apologize for this being so long... But I've been holding in my frustration for so long.... confused
Def Tech Mythos Seven, center
Polk Audio Atrium 55, outdoor patio
SVS PB12-NSD
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling kitchen
Paradigm CS-50R, in-ceiling dining room
Adcom GFA 535
Yamaha M-35
Sony DVP-NS75H
DirecTV Plus HDDVR
Toshiba 50” Plasma, 50HP66

#72242 - 08/26/06 07:31 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

While I doubt it will shed much more light on the problem, I'm trying to get my hands on a different cable to test (specifically and S-Video or a relatively inexpensive component video) and I'm going to try to get a friend to bring by their Playstation and see if just changing the source (but not the cables) makes any difference to the 1070.

#72243 - 08/30/06 01:24 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I also noticed this problem when using my VCR. The VCR is connected to the 1070 via a composite cable (Video 1 input). The 1070 is connected to my TV (approx. 12 year old 32" JVC tube) via an S-Video cable. If the video signal goes through the 1070 and gets transcoded to S-Video the vertical scrolling is always off.

I also happen to have one of these video game devices:
Namco Arcade Game
which also caues the problem when connected to the 1070 via the front composite inputs (I haven't tried the back but suspect it wouldn't make any difference). Pssst...Outlaws, this might be a cheap way to try and diagnose the problem smile

#72244 - 08/30/06 11:58 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
Shawn Parr Offline
Gunslinger

My son's Vtech VSmile Pocket does this as well.

We only tested his 'Spiderman & Friends' cartridge as that is the only one he plays right now.

We used to hook it up via the front panel on our receiver without problems. This summer I upgraded to the 1070 and now it has the sync issue. The only change in the system is the 1070. Hooking the Vpocket up to the TV directly works without problem. I am using the front panel composite input, and I am outputting SVideo to the television.

Honestly we only do this once every few months, so I'm not hugely concerned, I just wanted to add my experience to the list.

Now if I get another device (DirecTV is getting installed this weekend) and have issues, I'll make sure to get with Outlaw on it. smile

#72245 - 09/01/06 04:12 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

To me the most interesting part is that it's not necessarily a problem with transcoding video from a composite input to another, higher quality, output. I had the exact same problem when I passed a composite signal into the 1070 and got my output on composite as well. Likewise it's only certain pieces of software that cause the problem. In my limited experience only two titles have ever caused this problem so I'm going to classify this as relatively rare. But the fact that multiple types of hardware are all showing this to be a problem is what really starts to get to me.

At this point I've been testing and trying everything I can in order to try and get it fixed on my end and I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely a problem with the 1070 and something that the Outlaws need to be looking into.

#72246 - 09/10/06 12:41 AM Re: Vertical hold issue
Allan Jenney Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Saratoga Springs, New York
I just received my SMS-1 and connected it to my system (including my 1070)! I used the provided composite cable for the video connection and used the Video 3 input on the 1070. I turned on the SMS-1 and wouldn't you know it, I too had a constantly scrolling picture! You should try to make adjustments to the SMS-1's "sliders" when you having a moving picture. It certainly isn't easy! By the way, my video out from the 1070 to my monitor is via component cables. I have to assume the problem is with the 1070's conversion. I only have this problem when using the SMS-1 (I don't have any game system connected). Outlaws, please help me out!

#72247 - 09/12/06 01:18 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
JHoff80 Offline
Gunslinger

You know, I was about to post saying that I've never seen this on my 1070 with my gamecube, but then I just realized that I have no video connections running through the 1070 anymore, and I'm just using the TV's inputs. However, there was a time not too long ago where I had a Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and dvd player all running through the 1070, and I never had this issue then. I was only converting from composite inputs to S-video though, my old tv didn't have component inputs.

#72248 - 09/12/06 08:40 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
nik,martin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, AL

#72249 - 09/12/06 10:43 PM Re: Vertical hold issue
Allan Jenney Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Saratoga Springs, New York
As it appears that many people are experiencing this problem, does anyone know if the good folks at Outlaw are working on a fix?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts