Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#72082 - 03/12/09 07:11 AM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Didn't the joint agreement with Sherwood Newcastle exclude Outlaw from selling a receiver, or was that just a receiver based on the 997?
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I don't know that I'd abandon the idea of an Outlaw receiver. I would not anticipate a receiver based on a 990/997 level processor, as it would put the receiver's price tag above $1500 when their two previous receivers have been priced around $600 to $900 (when initially released, although both saw price drops during their production lives).

What we are likely to see down the road (after the 997 lands) is a successor to the 970. That would offer a platform that could serve as an opportunity for a new receiver. Or we could see something like the 1070: receiver first, then a processor.

#72083 - 03/12/09 11:34 AM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That exclusion was for the 997/R-972. It didn't exclude Outlaw ever doing a receiver in partnership with Sherwood. And of course it didn't exclude Outlaw building a receiver in partnership with someone else (like Eastech).

#72084 - 03/12/09 11:56 AM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
What secrets do you know, Gonk?

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#72085 - 03/12/09 02:23 PM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I wish I knew. smile I just remember there being something in the October announcement about Outlaw doing the 997 as a processor variant of the R-972 that indicated Sherwood wouldn't have a processor and Outlaw wouldn't have a receiver. That was as far as the distinction went, though.

#72086 - 03/12/09 02:59 PM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
DavieJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Clearly I'm not the only one who's getting a little tired of waiting. Not even a single picture or spec about what's coming out? The auto makers understandably keep their new lines hidden until they're ready because they don't want the new/hot features copied, but so far we haven't heard of anything "new" that the other manufacturers haven't already done. Room optimizer? Done. 4 HDMI inputs? Done. USB ports for MP3 playback and firmware upgrades? Done. OSD over HDMI, XM support, Multi-room? Done, done, and done.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the look of their products, and the reviews are nothing less than stellar at the price point they were offered at, but this is taking so long that I'm not so sure I want to be an Outlaw owner anymore. The opposite would be to have new versions released every 6 months, and that too would suck, but like everything else in life, everything in moderation is best. Can't they at least put out some details of what's coming out, if for nothing else, just to string me along for another few months?? confused

#72087 - 03/12/09 04:08 PM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieJ:
Can't they at least put out some details of what's coming out, if for nothing else, just to string me along for another few months?? confused
There is no "perfect" solution. If they string you along now, then they get slammed for leading people on when they announce something without a precisely correct release date. Let's assume that they say "here's what to expect from the Model 1071" today, give us a feature list, and then add that it's going to be released in Q4 2009 (I just made that date up, by the way), if they miss that date they will have potential customers who have planned their purchases around that product mad at them. They will then have those mad customers complaining until the product arrives.

History tells us that keeping things quiet until you have product very close to release is least likely to create grief. That's been true for Outlaw and a number of other manufacturers.

#72088 - 03/12/09 04:24 PM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
DavieJ Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree with you 100%. But Gonk, the 1070 was discontinued when? With all the "low-low prices" emails we're all getting, aren't you starting to get the feeling that we won't be able to buy the new products until all of the old product is gone?
Generally speaking, and that's across all products, you usually have a replacement when you retire a product, and old stock is sold quickly and cheaply, but it shouldn't take months and months to do that. If it does, they need to talk to the guy responsible for inventory levels. All this is doing is pissing of current/potential customers. Add the risk that if the new unit isn't absolutely amazing, the customer base will not be happy with it.

#72089 - 03/12/09 05:47 PM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
gonk Offline
Desperado

As soon as Outlaw can get HDMI v1.3 hardware in hand, they'll start selling it - and I think I can safely speak for them that they want that day to come sooner rather than later, existing inventory be damned. The prices we've seen on the 970 and 990 are probably largely the result of them are competing in a very bad economy with hardware that - while good quality stuff - lacks a widely desired feature (HDMI).

#72090 - 03/13/09 01:25 AM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
I still think that basing a new receiver on the 990 would be the right path to go. Unless there is a contractual problem, this could basically be an Outlaw version of the Sherwood receivers. While I know that I am over simplifying, about the only change needed to make this attractive to me would be to replace the DVI with HDMI.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#72091 - 03/13/09 03:34 AM Re: Anyone know when HDMI will come?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Basing one on the 990? That's an old platform at this point. Basing one on the 997? That would directly compete with Sherwood's R-972, which I doubt Sherwood is going to be excited about.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts