Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71986 - 04/28/06 01:48 PM TiVo remote affecting 1070
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Just noticed this last night and while it isn't a big deal it's a bit odd.

I was changing the volume with the included 1070 remote and immediately after turning the volume up or down a few notches (i.e. holding the button down) if I pressed a button on the TiVo remote (again, the stock remote shipped with a Series2 TiVo) it would duplicate the volume adjustment on the 1070. I tried this a few times pressing the volume down or volume up button and then switching to the TiVo remote and pressing play or the 5 second jump-back button and it kept working, but only for a few seconds.

The TiVo remote is set up to work my TV, but not the 1070 (since, unfortunately but expectedly, it doesn't have the codes and I can't auto-discover any codes that work for it) and the buttons I were pressing were exclusive to the TiVo anyhow. It worked for different codes being sent and was duplicated on the TiVo remote when I used different buttons there as well.

Frankly it just sounds like some sort of signal interference or something and may or may not be fixable (I'm leaning towards the latter), but I thought I'd mention it anyhow. Personally, even if it was fixed with a firmware update I probably wouldn't consider it worth the effort to drag my 1070 over to the computer and update it until I need to pull it out for some other reason.

Still, an interesting phenomenon and one I've not previously experienced with any other equipment.

#71987 - 04/28/06 02:20 PM Re: TiVo remote affecting 1070
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
How long have you had your 1070? The original units were shipped before a firmware update was released to resolve an issue with the 1070 and TiVos fighting with each other, and what you describe sounds similar to what I remember the issue being. Since I don't have either a 1070 or a TiVo, though, I'm going purely on old memories.

#71988 - 04/28/06 03:12 PM Re: TiVo remote affecting 1070
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

What brand of TV do you have, and which "TiVo" remote code are you using?

#71989 - 04/28/06 04:00 PM Re: TiVo remote affecting 1070
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
How long have you had your 1070? The original units were shipped before a firmware update was released to resolve an issue with the 1070 and TiVos fighting with each other, and what you describe sounds similar to what I remember the issue being. Since I don't have either a 1070 or a TiVo, though, I'm going purely on old memories.
Hm, I think you're remembering the 1070 update that dealt with a conflict between the 1070 remote codes and certain Comcast STBs. I don't recall reading about an update that addressed any issues with TiVos.

#71990 - 04/28/06 04:01 PM Re: TiVo remote affecting 1070
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That sounds right, lawtalker - was it Comcast boxes? I knew it was something like that.

#71991 - 05/01/06 03:09 AM Re: TiVo remote affecting 1070
Belgand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Francisco, CA
As far as firmware I updated it last back in December, but haven't bothered applying the latest update for the audio issue because even though I get it and I'm very happy they fixed it, it's more of a hassle to unplug everything and move it around than it is to just deal with it.

The brand of TV honestly doesn't matter since the TV isn't affected by any of this. Same deal with the remotes, I'm not using any codes, I'm just using the default remotes provided and none of the buttons used have been changed from their default settings. There also isn't a cable box anywhere in the system. This is purely an issue between the TiVo remote, the 1070 remote, and the 1070.

As I said, it's probably just some weird intereference and not something fixable, but it's certainly odd that it was a repeatable phenomenon.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts