Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#71955 - 08/10/07 06:41 PM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Alex -

I don't think I've reached the same point you may have, but I empathize. Just an FYI, I have heard this loud distorted blaring sound when I would switch Dolby/DTS modes. It wasn't loud enough to do any damage and I think it was relative to the volume I had the 1070 at when it happened.

I have to admit, although I'm still an Outlaw fanatic at heart, I wasn't thrilled that I applied the firmware per all the advice of the Outlaw folks on their site, the upgrade bombs, and I'm left bucking up to return the unit to them for repair. {edit: let me make it clear, I can understand this is the 'cost' of ownership, and I didn't lose sleep over it. But WAF can be a little harsh on the toys under these circumstances. And I see the point, even though I'm biased toward my 1070.)

I can only hope that when I receive my unit back today, that most of the problems are resolved. While none of them were show stoppers prior to the failed upgrade, they were nuisances that, coming from a software background, should have been resolved.

I know I'll have to just suck it up until it's time to replace it, but I don't want to do that for some time. Let's just say I'm not 100% satisfied (more like 98%) and I'm a little spoiled. Also helping me is the fact that the 1070 was a gift. Had it been my $1K, I might be a little more irked. I can deal with it assuming the problems don't worsen.If they do, I may be responding to this again. But I truly hope that the 1070 is my receiver for some time to come. I do love the 1070 when it's working right and I think my 1070 was definitely less buggy than yours.

Good luck with your setup. If you're really upset about it, I would contact Outlaw. I would think they would hear you out. You seem to be a reasonable guy and have been patient through the woes.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#71956 - 08/12/07 01:32 AM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

I'm glad to announce that I've had my 1070 back for 6 hours and no problems whatsoever. It's good to have it back!!

And on a side note, not to sidetrack, but I've traded my Atlantic Tech 2200 speakers (5) for an Earthquake Sound Saturn Orbital 5 channel setup. The 2200's weren't cutting it for the room I was now viewing in. I'm THRILLED with the new sound in my room. These speakers, although probably quite unknown to the masses, are performers.

Happy to be back!
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#71957 - 08/12/07 01:42 AM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Great news, indeed, Red. And time to upgrade your Saloon signature...btw, where'd you find out about the Earthquakes? Just curious...

#71958 - 08/12/07 01:45 AM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Good to hear that you're up and running again!

#71959 - 08/12/07 03:36 AM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by tru blu:
Great news, indeed, Red. And time to upgrade your Saloon signature...btw, where'd you find out about the Earthquakes? Just curious...
Originally I heard about Earthquake via my father in law. He was looking into a new sub for his ever changing HT and ran across some reviews of their SuperNova series. He and my wife eventually conspired to get me one of their MKIV 12's which has a passive and active woofer built into one enclosure. I thought the world of that sub from the day I hooked it up. (I still own it and use it in my gaming 'rig'.)

I had quite some time to sample the Orbital setup as it was in my FIL's house for a couple months. He had it in his back "den" area which was a separate HT room with XB360, a 55" SXRD, and a HK receiver. I knew the Outlaw would do them right, so we basically worked out a trade after I had some time with the speakers. They are beautifully constructed for their price range. I've already put in a couple demo movies and I have to say I'm thrilled it's worked out this way. I'll miss my AT's but they were simply tooooo small for this room. They were drowning in this space.

PS - anyone who's read my posts for the last few months knows I've been hinting at getting legitimate towers for my music listening, and at last, I've got them. they don't make a smiley icon that best represents how I'm feeling right now.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#71960 - 08/12/07 04:54 PM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I'll tell you, Red, it's great reading about someone's spouse totally indulging the audio hobby. "Conspiring" with your father-in-law? My wife really loves the sound of my recently upgraded system, but so far she's pretty content to leave the research and acquisitions to me. Of course, I'm pretty sure that could change if we eventually move into a house and my spending threatens to really get out of control. Enjoy.

#71961 - 08/13/07 02:02 AM Re: 1070 - Initial Impressions
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

I wouldn't call my wife's cooperation "totally indulging", but I would admit that she's pretty good about it. It really helps that her father is the same way. He and I are both into cars, computers, and A/V. In general I'm generally not denied anything within reach. She's the budget person so if it's not feasible, I'll know that. If I were single, I'd have all these toys and maybe more, but then I'd be late on other less important payments, such as the electricity, or heating. laugh

I played hell getting her to warm up to floor speakers. I had to conspire with her parents to wear her down with the "the finish of those speakers will look so nice on your hardwood floors..." it took weeks for her to cave. cool
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts