Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71808 - 03/02/06 12:33 PM Interlaced video and component pass through?
Rich Rodriguez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville, KY
My equipment should be listed in my sig.

The DVD is connected via component to the 1070's DVD component in.

I have the 1070's component out connected to one of the CRT's component inputs, which accept both interlaced and progressive signals (more on that later).

I also have, for testing, the 1070's s-video out connected to a S-Video in on the CRT.

The 1070's setup menu works fine through S-Video, but not through component. I assume the setup menu is interlaced.

The DVD player has a handy button to toggle the progressive mode, from "Auto" to "Film" to "Video" to "Off". On all 3 progressive settings, the video passes through perfectly to the CRT over component. When progressive is off, nothing appears on the CRT's component input. However, when progressive is off, the S-Video input on the CRT does does display the picture. That seems to contradict the manual, which states component in only gets sent to component out. There's no S-Video connected to the DVD player.

When the DVD player is connected directly to the CRT (I've tried with both sets of cables used in the DVD->1070->CRT setup), progressive and interlaced video works fine on the same component input on the CRT. When switching between interlaced and progressive, it takes about a half second to sync, but it does work.

My question: is this expected behavior? I had a ticket open, but received a response that it's possibly my CRT. Anyone else with this or similar model? Is it just not accepting the interlaced signal from the 1070's component output? I love the 1070, it's just kind of a bummer that my CRT doesn't like it's component interlaced signals, but the interlaced signals work fine from the DVD player, PS2, and Gamecube (I have component connectors for them all).

Thanks,
Rich
Slim Devices SqueezeBox 3
Klipsch all around
Logitech Harmony 880 remote

#71809 - 03/02/06 01:00 PM Re: Interlaced video and component pass through?
Rich Rodriguez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Addendum: the component -> S-Video conversion only happens when the signal is interlaced. And I confirmed the CRT isn't doing something silly like routing the interlaced component to the s-video input by unplugging the s-video connection to the CRT.
Klipsch all around

#71810 - 03/02/06 01:02 PM Re: Interlaced video and component pass through?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 1070's setup menu is not overlaid onto component video inputs - the extra video processing horsepower isn't available. I believe the recommended approach for seeing the onscreen menu when using component video outputs is to switch to a source that is using an s-video or composite input (in which case the 1070 will overlay the menu onto the video signal before transcoding it to component).

What do you have "VIDEO" set to for your DVD input (Menu | Input Config | DVD Config)? Is it on Auto, or is it set to Component? What you are describing is not what I would have expected, but perhaps there's something odd happening with the Auto option and interlaced component signals.

#71811 - 03/03/06 10:39 AM Re: Interlaced video and component pass through?
Rich Rodriguez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The video is on "COMPONENT". When set to "AUTO", not even the progressive signal passes through. However, on AUTO, the component is still converted to S-video as long as the signal is interlaced.
Klipsch all around

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts