Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71685 - 12/16/05 11:10 PM Deliverance
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I've had the 1070 for about five days now, and I have to say I'm impressed. Having been through a slew of A/V receivers in the past year in search of something satisfying for both music and movies in the under $1000 price range, I have to say the 1070 strikes a perfect balance for me.

Vocals are just beautiful, from Robert Plant to Willie Nelson to Harry Hibbs to Nora Jones every little nuance and inflection is there. Stringed instruments are exceptional, I had forgotten how satisfying a proper decay sounds. Tom Petty never sounded so good.

The 80Hz analog crossover for 7.1 direct inputs works very well for me. My DVD-A/SACD player (Yamaha DVD-C750) has too high a crossover for 'small' speakers (120 Hz) for my liking so I typically just set all the speakers to large. With the 80Hz setting on the 7.1 inputs, the bass is pulled back in. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon SACD sounded almost as good as the first time I heard it.

As for movies, well I watched the Polar Express today and my kids hid under the coffee table when the train was arriving at the beginning of the movie (yes, I did set the night mode to dynamic range compression after that incident and turn the volume down smile ). Dialogue was very clear and sounds didn't "stick" to a partiuclar speaker. I did think that some background dialogue and other background sound effects were too subdued, but it could have been the case that I had the volume set too low by then.

I was a little suprised that the maximum dB level I could reach was 106 dB with a select few rock/pop songs and the volume control at +10, considering other receivers I've owned in recent memory including the H/K AVR30, H/K AVR435, NAD T752 and Cambridge Audio Azur 540R were capable of hitting 115 dB in stereo mode at less than maximum volume setting. The 1070 weighs 40lbs and has a huge torroidal transformer visible through the top vents, that's got to count for something. Mind you, the H/K AVR435 and CA 540R weren't exactly clean sounding at those levels whereas the 1070 was "undistorted" at +10. Having said that, my "stereo wars" days are, as the Stones song goes are, "locked away and never seen". If "top speed" is a mandatory component to your requirements I'd suggest looking at the 970/7125 combo or an alternate brand higher-powered receiver instead of the 1070.

Another nice thing about the 1070 is how well it sounds at lower listening levels. If you're like me and listen to a fair bit of music after every else has gone to bed, the 1070 doesn't disappoint in lower-volume dynamics.

The simple fact is when it comes to pure sound quality I haven't heard any receiver that comes close to the 1070 including the H/K AVR435(nice, but it sounded to me like all of the instruments were blended together), NAD T752(excellent sound except for a somewhat heavy bass and rolled off high end, poor quality as well) & CA 540R(outstanding for movies, lacked "something" for music, particularly in the mid bass region). The H/K AVR30 was in the same league but it was a $1200 pro-logic receiver ten years ago.

One suggestion, with a name like the Outlaws I think it would only be fitting to include a DVD/CD of the Highwaymen (Willie, Waylon, Cash & Kris) with every 1070 smile .

Nice job Outlaws, as my Daddy says 'You done good!'.

#71686 - 01/02/06 12:52 AM Re: Deliverance
Jerry Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Hi John... What speakers do you use? DVD/CD player?
Thanks... Sounds like you've got some great ears!
Jerry

#71687 - 01/02/06 09:07 AM Re: Deliverance
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Jerry,

I have older model Acoustic Research speakers, approx. 8 years old. 310HO floor standers for the font left/right(95dB rated down to 35Hz), AR2C center channel(93dB rated down to 45Hz), and two 206HO bookshelves(91dB rated down to 55Hz) for rear speakers. I bought the 310HO pair with a pro-logic H/K AVR30 originally in a store where this match easily sounder better than anything else they had (I don't remember what that was though smile . Since then, I've picked up the matching center and rear speakers and have searched for a decent 5.1 receiver in the $1000 range for some time now.

I have a Yamaha c750 DVD 5-disk changer. It's quite good for a $250 SACD/DVD-A player that also converts from PAL to NTSC and can easily be made region free via the remote. There's a favourable review at audioholics, although some negative opinions over at audioreview.

Thanks for the 'great ears' compliment, although I don't know if it's fitting smile I just know what I like when listening to music and what I find irritating or disappointing.

Regards,
John

#71688 - 01/31/06 11:40 AM Re: Deliverance
Ignapps Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

How would you like this with the Orb Editor's edition set.I know that they are smallish speakers and all but I'm very inclined to purchase them using Outlaw

#71689 - 02/06/06 03:53 PM Re: Deliverance
Landon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX
John, I've got some AR fronts about that vintage, and I was thinking they are a model 330, or so, with 2 8" woofers, a 5" mid, and titanium tweeter. I remember there was also a model with a single 8" woofer. Do these sound similar to yours?

#71690 - 02/10/06 08:51 PM Re: Deliverance
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Landon,

Hmmm...I think yours is a different series.

My 310 HO model I have has a single side-firing 10" woofer, two 5 1/4" mids and a 1" soft-dome tweeter. All of the HO (High Output) models have the soft-dome tweeters. This line was 'updated' with titanium tweeters but I don't recall any of them having two woofers.

Does this one look similar to yours?
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/acoustic-research/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_119005_1594crx.aspx

Regards,
John

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts