Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71645 - 12/10/05 08:51 AM Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I wish you would add the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review of your 1070 to your review links. I thought that overall the review was quite positive. It made me realize that my fairly inefficient speakers would be challenged by it but that the rest of it was a perfect fit. Now that you have introduced the 970 all I need is to get the boss's permission (the wife) and I will get it and the 7125.

Not posting the link with the more glowing (but less useful) reviews makes it look like you are cherry picking. I really think that does your company a disservice.

Thanks

#71646 - 12/10/05 11:24 PM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
westy,

Well, I suppose ultimately it's a marketing call. They have to decide if putting a link to that review will potentially increase or decrease sales. Although, in this day and age, it's quite simple to google "Outlaw 1070 review" so one has to wonder what, if any, impact these links have anyway.

It's interesting that the byline for the Model 7075 amp states:
Quote:
The Model 7075 delivers high quality amplification for those of us with smaller rooms or highly efficient speakers. Now, you can own the benefits of dedicated power amplification without paying for power you'll never use.
Obviously, at 65w x 7, this smaller room/highly efficient speakers application applies to the 1070 receiver as well, so I doubt the Outlaw's would take offence to a review mentioning this aspect. I suppose the Outlaw's answer to larger room/low efficiency speakers is to move up to their moderately priced separates, which seems like a reasonable approach.

It's also interesting that Audio Video Revolution's review of the top-of-the-line NAD T773 receiver states the following:
Quote:
Though NAD has a solid history of producing amplifiers that can drive most loads, this receiver will perform very well with moderate to reasonably efficient loudspeakers. There was a time when 110 watts per channel was considered relatively substantial, but with the dynamic range of today’s digital sources, there will be times when the 773 hits its limits.
NAD T773 Review
Now, whether or not these reviewers have been spoiled to the point of complaining about the power output in a true 110w x 7 receiver or they have a valid point is somwhat of an unknown to me. If anything, I think this attitute will only serve to contribute to sales of Outlaw's separates considering the high cost of purchasing a receiver that actually delivers substantially in excess of 110w x 7. Note that the NAD website does have excerpts of this review in their review section, but of course does not mention the above comments --- cherry picking and sales/marketing pretty well go hand in hand.

By the way, this is the same site, that has the stellar review of the 970/7075 combo.

#71647 - 12/11/05 10:08 AM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
tonygeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: MA
My experience is that 65 watts real watts driving 86db sensitive speakers (NHT M6) all around will hit reference in a 3000 cubic foot room as long as their crossed over at 80 (which is how they're designed anyway). An old rule of thumb (before the home theater days) was that adding a sub with crossover effectively doubled your amp power. Up to 3000 cubic feet the 1070 is more than enough in my experience.

#71648 - 12/11/05 12:18 PM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
westy Offline
Gunslinger

My current system uses 50 hertz as the crossover point for the subwoofer. I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer IV and it really doesn't do a very good job at 80 hertz (maybe I should switch to Velodyne). My mains are Veritas 2.3s and they do a very good job down to about 50 so that is where my crossover is.

This means I biamp them with NAD 80 watt amps to keep the dynamics intact. Anything much less than that and you can hear that the dynamic passages are slightly rounded off and the high frequencies can get a bit shrill. It is subtle but nevertheless there.

#71649 - 12/11/05 12:27 PM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
westy Offline
Gunslinger

more importantly 50 hertz for the sub starts to cut off the ubiquitous 60 hertz line noise that the high power low fidelity amps in Sunfire, Veloydyne and other subwoofers use

#71650 - 12/12/05 07:13 PM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by westy:
more importantly 50 hertz for the sub starts to cut off the ubiquitous 60 hertz line noise that the high power low fidelity amps in Sunfire, Veloydyne and other subwoofers use
huh? I don't understand exactly what you're referencing here. confused

A 60hz hum is not usually associated with a subwoofer manufacturer but rather a ground loop, usually caused by the cable connection, somewhere else in the system. This hum is centered around th 60hz region but will add noise to the system no matter where the subwoofer crossover is considering that it's still noise in the system. I think that's what you're talking about...

#71651 - 12/12/05 10:35 PM Re: Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity review
westy Offline
Gunslinger

The subwoofer has no transformer to block out the 60 cycle hum (all of Sunfire's amps have this problem, notice that Sony puts a transformer in their switching amp in the new 7100 receiver).

By putting a 50 hertz, 12 decibel per octave crossover between the signal output from the source and the subwoofer input it does indeed pull out most of the 60 cycle hum that is external to the sub what is left is from the subwoofer itself.

I live in an old house that was probably wired by the Three Stooges so we get a lot of issues with noise in the lines. I have had a lot of the house rewired over the years but not enough to eliminate all the issues.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts