Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71598 - 11/10/05 03:39 PM biamping hungry front speakers
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I really like the 1070 but I have front speakers that are kinda piggy (Energy Veritas 2.3s) and I really don't care about 7 channels, 5 is all I have room for in the bedroom.

I have a NAD 214 I could use to biamp the fronts (one channel from the receiver, one from the amp for each channel) but I would need to match the volume levels between the two using the preamp outs for the NAD. Anyone got any ideas?

P.S. I wish the two of the amp channels were reassignable like Denon, Pioneer, Marantz etc. have. But I really don't like the quality of the electronics or amps in any of those brands. Even better yet, preamp inputs to match the outputs would have been perfect.

#71599 - 11/10/05 04:06 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The NAD 214 doesn't appear to have gain controls, which will make level matching difficult. Others may have some ideas (possibly a separate gain control unit?).

#71600 - 11/10/05 04:31 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I can buy attenuators but that only works if the NAD is more sensitive for a given volume setting than the internal amp.

#71601 - 11/10/05 06:14 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
a quality eq between the 1070 and nad would allow level control as well as eq at desired freq. (plus cut for undesired would free up some headroom)

but as a footnote:an eq is not made to do this,it would do the job though.previous experience (with good results) preferred.

#71602 - 01/19/06 05:33 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
mad_cow_w_knife Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Agoura Hills, CA
The ability to run 5.1 biamping your fronts is a great enhancement request.
Otherwise, you just have 2 unused amp channels. If I buy a 1070 I will be in the same situation. I have very little cabinet space, so I would not want to add another amp.

#71603 - 01/20/06 10:15 AM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
MEM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Phoenix AZ
Hello outlaws,

New to the board but not electronics or audio. Am very seriously considering an upgrade and am liking some of the outlaw stuff. I also noticed this lack of ability to reassign the two unused channels as a major drawback. The 1070 is an outstanding piece and I am also considering doing a 970/7125. In the seperates route, bi-amping the mains is easy and a good use of the extra amps, but no can do in the 1070. What a shame. Was this need over looked ( my gues is not likely. These outlaw guys seems pretty savy) too expensive, or intentional to drive people to seperates.

Happy to be a part of this community. Hopefully soon I will be a real outlaw family member.

#71604 - 01/20/06 11:49 AM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I would have liked to see that capability too --- I'm not entirely sure how much difference I would notice but like you guys, I don't like those two unused amps just sitting there.

I can understand not adding the capability for multi-zone with the rear surrounds due to extra complexity and cost, however I think the complexity of adding bi-amping depends on how it would be done.

If it's just a matter of always sending the same signal that's sent to the font l/r to the lb/rb it might be pretty simple. I can see just another config option on the SPEAKER SIZE - SURR BACK OUT: selection to choose between NONE SBL LB/RB BIAMP. This might even be possible with a software update.

However, if there's a need to introduce a crossover so that the L/R gets a low-pass signal and the LB/RB gets a high-pass signal, this can get pretty tricky with the variety of bass-management options already on the 1070. I think this would only be useful if you could defeat the internal crossover in your speakers (which I can't in mine anyway).

#71605 - 01/21/06 01:57 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
mad_cow_w_knife Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Agoura Hills, CA
I agree. I am happy the 1070 does not have a second zone.
I would not need any crossover capabilities to biamp.
So you can not use the extra amp channels to biamp. On the bright side - not using two of the
channels leaves more current available to the other 5 channels.
Is anyone out there biamping their fronts with 2 Outlaw 2200 monoblocks. This sounds like a good idea, but I would guess you would want some level adjustment on the 2200s. Maybe level adjustment will be an option on the 2200 in the future?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts