Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71598 - 11/10/05 03:39 PM biamping hungry front speakers
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I really like the 1070 but I have front speakers that are kinda piggy (Energy Veritas 2.3s) and I really don't care about 7 channels, 5 is all I have room for in the bedroom.

I have a NAD 214 I could use to biamp the fronts (one channel from the receiver, one from the amp for each channel) but I would need to match the volume levels between the two using the preamp outs for the NAD. Anyone got any ideas?

P.S. I wish the two of the amp channels were reassignable like Denon, Pioneer, Marantz etc. have. But I really don't like the quality of the electronics or amps in any of those brands. Even better yet, preamp inputs to match the outputs would have been perfect.

#71599 - 11/10/05 04:06 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The NAD 214 doesn't appear to have gain controls, which will make level matching difficult. Others may have some ideas (possibly a separate gain control unit?).

#71600 - 11/10/05 04:31 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
westy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston MA
I can buy attenuators but that only works if the NAD is more sensitive for a given volume setting than the internal amp.

#71601 - 11/10/05 06:14 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
a quality eq between the 1070 and nad would allow level control as well as eq at desired freq. (plus cut for undesired would free up some headroom)

but as a footnote:an eq is not made to do this,it would do the job though.previous experience (with good results) preferred.

#71602 - 01/19/06 05:33 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
mad_cow_w_knife Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Agoura Hills, CA
The ability to run 5.1 biamping your fronts is a great enhancement request.
Otherwise, you just have 2 unused amp channels. If I buy a 1070 I will be in the same situation. I have very little cabinet space, so I would not want to add another amp.

#71603 - 01/20/06 10:15 AM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
MEM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Phoenix AZ
Hello outlaws,

New to the board but not electronics or audio. Am very seriously considering an upgrade and am liking some of the outlaw stuff. I also noticed this lack of ability to reassign the two unused channels as a major drawback. The 1070 is an outstanding piece and I am also considering doing a 970/7125. In the seperates route, bi-amping the mains is easy and a good use of the extra amps, but no can do in the 1070. What a shame. Was this need over looked ( my gues is not likely. These outlaw guys seems pretty savy) too expensive, or intentional to drive people to seperates.

Happy to be a part of this community. Hopefully soon I will be a real outlaw family member.

#71604 - 01/20/06 11:49 AM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
John Galt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Canada
I would have liked to see that capability too --- I'm not entirely sure how much difference I would notice but like you guys, I don't like those two unused amps just sitting there.

I can understand not adding the capability for multi-zone with the rear surrounds due to extra complexity and cost, however I think the complexity of adding bi-amping depends on how it would be done.

If it's just a matter of always sending the same signal that's sent to the font l/r to the lb/rb it might be pretty simple. I can see just another config option on the SPEAKER SIZE - SURR BACK OUT: selection to choose between NONE SBL LB/RB BIAMP. This might even be possible with a software update.

However, if there's a need to introduce a crossover so that the L/R gets a low-pass signal and the LB/RB gets a high-pass signal, this can get pretty tricky with the variety of bass-management options already on the 1070. I think this would only be useful if you could defeat the internal crossover in your speakers (which I can't in mine anyway).

#71605 - 01/21/06 01:57 PM Re: biamping hungry front speakers
mad_cow_w_knife Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Agoura Hills, CA
I agree. I am happy the 1070 does not have a second zone.
I would not need any crossover capabilities to biamp.
So you can not use the extra amp channels to biamp. On the bright side - not using two of the
channels leaves more current available to the other 5 channels.
Is anyone out there biamping their fronts with 2 Outlaw 2200 monoblocks. This sounds like a good idea, but I would guess you would want some level adjustment on the 2200s. Maybe level adjustment will be an option on the 2200 in the future?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM