Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7145 - 01/15/03 01:29 AM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
I'll throw a few more internet direct names at you. Ascend Acoustics and Aperion Audio. Aperion picks up all the shipping if you don't like them. Also, keep Rockets in mind.

I just got the Ascend CBM-170's this week and love them. So far so good. They easily best Paradigm Mini Monitors amd I'd be interested in how they sound against Studio 20's since the 20's are on everyones short list.

#7146 - 01/15/03 07:44 AM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The PSC's can be used for several things: a single PSC can be used for composite video or coaxial digital audio, or three of them can be used for component video.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#7147 - 01/15/03 03:26 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
She bought Monster Cable Component Video cables at the suggestion of the sales guy.

There are more readily available at retail, and many own them....when I replaced mine, (with straightwire at the time) particulary on video I noticed a great improvement. I have been very pleased with the Outlaw PCA's and intend to try the PSC's when I get around to ordering.

#7148 - 01/15/03 08:12 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Last Call Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Sheboygan Falls, WI
Hmmm...so is that to say you can use either the PCAs of PSCs for the Component Video connections. The PCAs are listed as Audio cables but I guess cable is cable and it is just a matter of the copper or silver. Is this correct?

My wife pointed out that speakers are not the most important part of an HT system, a room to play them is and if I want my HT room in our house I have to use some restraint. Seems that, at some point, I promised I could do this for about $2000 and she is holding me to it. I hate it when she does that. I guess I have the fever but she has the Tylenol. Now I have to decide on a complete Axiom system or some really nice mains to be built on later. Decisions decisions.

Gunslinger living with Mea West.

#7149 - 01/15/03 09:27 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Not quite, I'm afraid. Do not use the PCA's for video -- they are not rated as 75-ohm cables, which both video (composite and component) and digital audio need.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#7150 - 01/15/03 11:42 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Last Call Offline
Gunslinger

Ahhh....good to know.

#7151 - 01/17/03 04:57 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Well, looks like I missed a good thread here. Sorry to be a bit late to the party, guys, but I got tied up with this guy in Vegas, see...

Anyway, I am an owner of the Axiom Epic 80 system, which consists of the M80Ti towers, the VP150 center, the EP350 subwoofer, and the QS8 surrounds. As anyone who is a regular here can tell you, I am impressed with this system. When I bought it, it was the highest-priced system I could afford, and even though I could probably buy a more expensive system now, I wouldn't if I had it to do over again.

I don't have much experience with the lower-end Axiom models, but a friend did buy a pair of M22Ti (Axiom's top of the line bookshelf) speakers based on my recommendation of the M80Ti's, which he did not have physical room for. He has been quite pleased. I've been to his place to hear them first-hand, and while they have neither the volume nor the range of the M80Ti's, they are a very respectable speaker.

As far as I know, the M3Ti and the M22Ti are quite similar in range and sound quality, with the primary difference being the M22Ti's significantly higher sound output.

I had the 1050 for about a month and it drove the big M80Ti's adequately, although not nearly to the volume that the 755 will. They are a bit big for my room, but I plan to own them for a long time and fully expect my "next" room to be larger than what I'm crammed into now.

One thing I'd like to say about the Grand Master set is that you may be a bit light on bass with the EP125 sub. The EP175 may be a better match, considering that the M22Ti's *do* have a significant punch, and you are buying the top of the line surround speaker. Axim will usually allow you to substitute speakers in the set, especially if you are trading up.

Also, remember that Axiom has free shipping (last I checked) and a no-hassle 30-day return policy, just like Outlaw. You buy them, you don't like them, you send them back. No questions.

Anyone who lives reasonably close to the newer of the two Jerseys has an open invitation to come over and give my set a listen, both for comparison shopping purposes or just to tell me why theirs is better. :-)

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#7152 - 01/18/03 02:07 AM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Last Call Offline
Gunslinger

Matthew, good tohear from you. I keep readine that Axiom speakers are very 'bright' to the point of causing fatigue after several minutes. Have youhad this experience? There is a thread that talks about using a resistor to take some of the top end out of the tweeter. I also wondered about the sub, I was thinking that they may not sound so bright with a beefier sub. Maybe an SVS or something instead of the Axiom sub. I suppose that the 80s have more bass by design so that may help the reported 'brightness' but how about the m22tis that your friend has. You said that they lack the deapth and volume of the 80s, which stands to reason, but is he using a sub or are you for that matter? Since 'brightness' is the only issue that is consistantly reported, I am wondering if this can be effectively dealt with. Thanks for the report.

Paul

Paul

#7153 - 01/20/03 12:29 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I use the EP350 sub in my system. It's no SVS, but it holds its own against the rest of the system, especially since I don't often crank it. When I move into a larger room I may order a second one.

I find the Axioms to be accurate; harsh is not a word I would use. Nor is fatigue; I do not have any problems listening to my set for hours on end, either for music or HT.

My friend does not currently have a sub, but he is planning on buying an EP350 and a VP150 center soon. He does not have room for surrounds yet so he plans on a 3.1 system for now. You can tell that his current setup, without the sub, is missing part of the material; you hear a lot of mid bass but low bass notes simply don't play.

The EP350 sub will probably be overkill for him, but he eventually wants to build to a system similar to mine, but in stages, which is why he is buying the larger sub.

Rather than putting a resistor into your speakers, you might want to play with EQ or with the 950's theater comp feature if you want less highs to come from the speakers. I find them to be pretty well balanced as they come from the factory, though.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#7154 - 01/22/03 07:36 PM Re: Axiom for 950/770?
Tombstone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Last Call: While there is no substitute for actually listening to any speakers you might be considering, you may never get a "true audition" without taking them home and listening to them in YOUR room with YOUR electronics. Showroom demos often embellish the positives and hide the negatives that all loudspeakers have. With that in mind, I suggest you not dismiss the axioms simply because they cannot be auditioned in a local showroom.

If you haven't yet visited the Axiom website, it is www.axiomaudio.com, where numerous reviews and testimonials are presented. In particular, the M22ti's are reviewed as part of a "speaker face-off" which also includes the Paradigm Studio 40's. (See audioholics.com/productreviews)
The main thing I noticed while reading these reviews was that while the Axioms were described as bright/forward, they were also described as NOT being strident, shrill, fatiguing, etc., -- they just weren't laid back, overly warm, dark, etc. The only caveat I would mention is that nearly all high quality "monitors" are designed to work with a matching subwoofer in order to get full bass extenson. Otherwise, you should choose a floor-standing "tower" speaker, like the M80ti, or the M60ti (same sound, won't play as loud as the M80's). What has impressed me about Axiom is that you can assemble a complete home theater without breaking the bank. That's important to me because I have some "older" New England Audio Research (N.E.A.R.) ME-60 "audiophile" speakers which I would like to build into a complete home theater, but the company no longer exists. So, I must either replace them with a similar quality speaker system (such as B&W CDM 9's plus center, surrounds and sub - $7,000+), or invest in a less expensive home theater system and keep the N.E.A.R.'s for my critical music listening. My heart says go BW, my wallet says go Axiom, or something similar! Good luck in your decision. T.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 153 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts