Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7129 - 01/11/03 12:47 AM passive or powered?
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
If I get a passive sub (with no amplifier), can I drive it with one of the 65w channels on the 1050, or will that not work?

Or, should I just get a powered sub? I'm considering HSU and SVS subs right now. Any recommendations?

On a side note, how important is it to 'match' the subs to the speakers? I have b&w speakers but b&w subs suck, so I need to get some other brand.

#7130 - 01/11/03 12:58 AM Re: passive or powered?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
65 watts might not be enough power for a subwoofer, which typically requires the most power of all the speakers in a HT. It may also ask too much of the receiver. You might query the makers of the passive subs you have in mind for their recommendation regarding minimum drive power. A powered sub is never a bad idea, as the internal amp is perfectly matched and frequency compensated for the particular driver employed.

It is generally not as critical matching a subwoofer to speakers made by a different company. The problems arise when using a center speaker made by a different company than made the main left and right ones. The main thing to keep aware of is the respective low frequency roll-offs of your main speakers, and if that will mesh well with the high frequency roll-off of the sub. Again, the manufacturers can give specific info about this.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 11, 2003).]

#7131 - 01/11/03 02:26 AM Re: passive or powered?
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
soundman,
Thanks for the reply! Yes I'll get a powered sub. As for the speakers, I just have the main L/R speakers - b&w DM604s and I'll be getting b&w DM speakers for the center and rears too, for a 5.1 setup.

#7132 - 01/11/03 11:39 AM Re: passive or powered?
charlie Offline
Desperado

The 1050 has no main in jacks - that is although there are pre-outs you cannot retask an unused amp channel by pulling a jumper. I'd recommend eithe a powered unit (sounds like you're already going that route) or an external amp and a passive. The new Outlaw 200 should be good, or there are lots of suitable amps out there.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts