Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71145 - 08/31/05 07:53 PM Is the 1070 right for me?
Mark Barbieri Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I'm building a home theater. It's roughly 2,300 cubic feet (20x13x9). I'll be driving five speakers (Rocket one 200, two 250s, and two 300s) and a sub to be determined. I would like the flexibility to add two additional speakers should the fancy strike me.

I'll be using my system exclusively for television and movie viewing, using a DirectTV HD DVR and an HTPC, both connected via DVI to a front projector.

I added myself to the waiting list for the Outlaw 1070, largely because of the DVI switching and Outlaw's reputation. I cannot purchase any Denon equipment do to a past experience that lead my wife to forever ban Denon products from our home. I'd like to keep the budget to $1,000 or less and would be quite happy to make it less. If you think that's a big mistake, I'll be willing to listen to reasons why I should spend more.

I'm not really interested in cranking out incredibly high volume levels or using goofy sound fields. I just want it to sound clear at reasonable volume levels. Having the ability to compress the dynamic range of non-DD material would also be nice.

I don't need any multi-room capability. I don't need a phono input.

It's important that the receiver have discrete remote signals for things like power on, power off, and device selection as I will be controlling it with a Pronto.

How does the 1070 seem as a choice? What else would you suggest, and why?

#71146 - 08/31/05 09:32 PM Re: Is the 1070 right for me?
droeses58 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: wisconsin
As long as you get a decent subwoofer the 1070 should be fine, as it won't have to drive the deep lows in a movie. [i.e. explosions] besides if it turns out it's not enough for you, you can always and seperate amps to it.

As far as other suggestions, i've always been a Harman Kardon fan so the only one in your price range that has digital switching that I would recommend would be the h/k avr-7300. It can be bought direct from harman kardon on ebay for under a 1000 dollars.[refurb. w/2yr. warranty]

I have the h/k avr-635 right now and can't wait to compare it to the 1070.

#71147 - 08/31/05 10:48 PM Re: Is the 1070 right for me?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The speakers you mentioned are driven by receivers very routinely, and considering the 1070's lineage (the ol' 1050) it should be solidly up to the task of driving them. As droeses58 suggests, a subwoofer would help fill in the low end (both helping take some burden off the 250's and 200 and filling in the deeper lows that they can't reach). The 1070 should also cover your operating needs well - DVI switching, discrete on and off, and discrete device inputs. It sounds like a good match.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts