Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#7102 - 01/23/03 10:22 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by Norman:
Gwhunran:

I'd be reluctant to buy used Magnepans unless I knew the provenance very well, they are much more sensitive to both physical and electronic abuse than more conventional designs.

I've got some MG-1's (from late 70's) that were in my mother-in-laws closet.. I had to rewire the trebel panel, but aside from that they're excelent speakers....

Magnepan will refurbish almost any speaker (within 15 or so years of manufacture) so if you can get a good deal on some older ones even or some with damage to the mylar this could be a good option.... You could probably even just have them shipped to Magnepan from whoever you buy them....

[This message has been edited by Unferth (edited January 23, 2003).]

#7103 - 01/27/03 09:04 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Tombstone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by tps123:
Tombstone

NEAR as in New England Audio Resource?

My current system has NEAR-10M surrounds and a NEAR - JTB center. I may be replacing these in the near future. I am not familiar with the ME-60 or if you are referencing the same NEAR.

Yes, we are talking about the same N.E.A.R. (my mistake: R.=Resource, not Research). The ME-60's were the largest floor standing speakers NEAR made. Same tweeter, 4.4 inch midrange, 8 inch woofer, 46 inch tall cabinet. Great sound!

#7104 - 01/28/03 12:15 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
I vote for the IL60's, good deal off of harmon audio refurb on ebay with 5 year warranty. The RABOS kit I ordered separtely made a world of difference in the sub output. I paid $700 for a pair of fronts that retailed for $1800 and I get two 12" 500W each powered subs that rock and roll my house, just ask my wife.

Outside of these, I would recommend the Phase Tech 9.1's or 11.5's (which have built in powered 10"ers). These speakers I auditioned at CES give my Interludes a run for the money in sound clarity and soundstage.

Both sets of speakers have a very wide coverage soundstage that is clear in any of the listening positions I auditioned.

#7105 - 01/28/03 05:12 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
A buddy of mine just got back from CES and was blown away by Wharfedale speakers. Has anyone experience with them?

#7106 - 01/28/03 07:59 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I don't think I need mains with built in powered subs. I am running a NHT Sub Twoi, which has two 12"s supposedly powered by a 500 watts rms sunfire type amp.
I am still leaning towards Klipsch RF7's, but I have a new concern after reading another post in this forum about speaker efficiency and "too much power." The RF7 is rated at 102db and I will be powering it with the "755." Do any of you think that I would have the problem of the amp not being driven hard enough at low to medium listening levels?
Richard

#7107 - 01/29/03 11:12 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
There was a chart I came across once that someone had posted and it appeared to come from the Klipsch web-site. It measured speaker efficiency versus sound pressure level versus amp power required. It was pretty interesting since they way I read it, I needed 64 watts for a 90dB speaker to hit 108dB at 1meter, or 256 watts for the same to hit 114dB at 1meter. Since I have a mix of 8 ohm speakers that run from 88-91dB, I found this chart close to what I was thinking, finding an amp that would give me 200 clean current watts. That would put me not high on the dB peak scale, but more like accurate and a good full range response to all my speakers at easy listening levels. With the 770, this is what I am getting.

For your reference, the same chart lists a 102dB efficiency speaker as needing 8 watts to reach 114dB at 1 meter. You might be better off running these klispchs off just the 1050 or something like that. I have seen other posts on the internet about people using 30watts to power the woofers and then only needed 3-5 watts to power the mids and highs in these klipschs.

As to your other question, you will not hurt the amp or speakers if you matt a 200watt channel with these highly efficient speakers. As long as you don't clip the outputs, you are safe.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts