Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7082 - 01/05/03 01:05 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gwhunran:
Thanks for the input. I have searched around on the internet for info on the products mentioned in the replies and found substantial amounts of data. Unfortunatly, the B&W and Paradigms are not available through the internet and can only be purchased from "authorized dealers," as new products.

I guess I look at it differently. While there IS some...er...corporate...er...protection, (all right, good old boys network.) Most of the sterio dealers in my area have been VERY good with "cutting me a deal". We have the information on the web for what people across the nation pay, and can often use that to our leverage. If someone is trying to get full MSP for something, go to audio review, see what seems to be the going rate, and feel free to haggle.

To me, personaly I'ld rather see my local shop get my cash and business, then sending it to a "big name" dealer (circut city, best buy) or to Wal-Mart...who's sole goal seems to be cutting out local businesses by extreme price cutting. I'm also a little leary of online businesses. Some are quite solid, some are shady.

Case in point. When I was first looking at speakers I was rather impressed with the JBL studio series, and originaly wanted to pick up a set of JBL S314. Best buy was asking $1,400 for the pair. However I found them online through various places for $800 a pair. However, after listening to them, and them listening to the Paridigms...well lets say I wound up spending tacking on an extra six months on my hunt for "THE" speakers for my system.

Yes, the big names can gouge, but like I said...I'm willing to keep my local boys in business...especially when they seem to be in line with the "competitive" prices that I find on the web.

My 2 cents.

Jason

#7083 - 01/05/03 01:28 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

zacster
I also am a big believer in diy speakers. They can be a great value. I currently have the ARdiy.com (Ed Frias) design speaker and am totally thrilled with them. They weigh about 35# each (only 13.5"x9.25"x10.25") and are solid (1"MDF with 1/4" baltic birch veneer). The total cost of these were about $475 CAD a pair. I have 3 of them upfront. Will eventually build 3 more for the back. I also have a diy Tempest Octagon sealed sub. In SACD the total sound package is wonderful. I'm beginning to appreciate more and more the artistry of a good surround mix music in hi-rez.
I suppose the point of all this is that not everyone is comfortable with a diy project. But if they are willing to try there are some wonderful kits on the internet. No need to do speaker measurements, cross-over design etc.
Happy listening.

#7084 - 01/05/03 01:54 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I checked the Madisound kits for my brother-in-law, and he could have something built in a couple of evenings, as could anyone else, and have better and cheaper than commercial speakers, and much better than blose. It is hard though to take the chance and buy and build something you've never had a chance to hear. I had the cabinets all built before I bit the bullet and ordered the components, and even then I had some reservations. I must have read every message on the Madisound board 3 times before I felt like it was the right decision. And now that they are built there is no question.

BTW, my clones weigh over 50 pounds each.

#7085 - 01/05/03 02:37 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Has anyone heard Klipsh RF-7's or done any A/B comparisons with RF7's and any of the speakers mentioned in the previous post. I haven't found a lot of post about RF7's on message boards but there seems to be some info on "audioreview.com."

------------------
Richard Nash

[This message has been edited by gwhunran (edited January 05, 2003).]

#7086 - 01/07/03 07:11 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
AudioReview.com tends to be a good starting point for opinions on products but is skewed since everyone thinks they bought the best thing since sliced bread was invented

Another source that is buried in the audioreview web site . . .
This link is usefull for finding online audio magazine reviews by profesionals of many brands speakers. You can use the search function to find Klipsch RF-7 reviews.

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Speakers/Speakers_Reviews/

#7087 - 01/07/03 01:37 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
DMC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mullica Hill, NJ
http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Speakers/Speakers_Reviews/ [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve C, for this website. Found some good reviews, although some were a liitle dated.
DmC

#7088 - 01/08/03 06:09 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_C:
AudioReview.com tends to be a good starting point for opinions on products but is skewed since everyone thinks they bought the best thing since sliced bread was invented

Hey, I though the Paridigm speakers that I bought WERE the best thing since sliced bread.

(pulling out the asbestos suit in anticipation of the flames)

Jason

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited January 08, 2003).]

#7089 - 01/08/03 04:09 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
There's nothing wrong with a dated review about a speaker. As has been explored on other posts, speaker building hasn't really changed much recently.

I'll just add this also. My M&K K-5s rock!

#7090 - 01/08/03 05:31 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
charlie Offline
Desperado

This is true and also a seldom grasped fact for many things audio. The fact is that while technology sprints forward we will be using model '1' ears for a long time. The snake oil sellers and less honest of the high-end makers hate to see this but it's just the way it is and the audible 'gap' from top to bottom gear is only going to narrow. Kudos to Outlaw for being willing to poineer a different track to success.

#7091 - 01/08/03 07:29 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
steves Offline
Desperado

Loc: Oregon
Quote:
(pulling out the asbestos suit in anticipation of the flames)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM