Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7072 - 01/02/03 04:38 PM Searching for new Front Mains.
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I am looking to replace my front mains sometime in the next year. I just ordered a "755 amp" and will be using the preouts on a HK AVR85 to feed it. My use is about 50/50
music/HT. My music listening is mostly rock although I listen to country and bluegrass.
I am using Bose 501's and 601's for mains now stacked and being fed by splitting the preout from one into two and using four channels of a Carver AV405 to run the mains.
I plan on removing the Carver when I hook up the 755. I am using an NHT Sub two for the very low end,(crossed over at about 50HZ).
I am using Wharfdale Diamond Sevens for rear surrounds using the HK AVR85 to power them.
I am thinking of Klipsch RF7's or B&W 603S3 or B&W CDM 7NT's. What would be some other comparable speakers for output and price?
I am one of those who prefers larger speakers as oppsoed to smaller ones for fronts.
Also: Center- Infinity IL36c

------------------
Richard Nash

#7073 - 01/03/03 02:53 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Well, Gonk and myself SWEAR by our Paridigms. Given that you are looking ath the B&W 603's i'ld strongly reccomend checking out the Monitor 11's. I got mine for a well under the $900 mark. They've been on proud display in my home for close to a year, and I must say that they continue to impress everyone who hears them.

Gonk is using a Paridigm Studio setup, which is a little more pricey...but they are an absolutly WONDERFULL line of speakers.

Check em out. Of course it depends on what your ears like, but I'm a firm believer in the quality and sound that they give me. After spending the better part of a year speaker shopping...and checking out every thing from the Cerwin Vegas at best buy-(I was young and new nothing), to just about everything in my local boutique shops (see...I got smarter) the Paridigms got my vote and my moolah. (Also listend to Yamaha, Sony, PSB, JBL, B&W, Boston, Infinity, Cambridge, hmmm others in there that I cant remember.) Bottom line is I did a WHOLE LOT of listening on my days off, and I kept comming back to the digm's.

Jason

#7074 - 01/04/03 12:21 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I've been hooked on DIY speakers since I built a center channel after I bought my Outlaw. My latest project were the DIY clones of the Proac Response 2.5. These are towers about 40" tall by 9" x 10", higher when I put the spikes on.

The voicing of these speakers is unreal (or should I say completely real), incredibly natural and detailed. Female voices are in the room. Every pluck of the bass is clear and distinct. Instruments occupy a place in the soundstage and stay there. Every flaw is exposed. The bass goes down to 28hz, frequency response is flat all the way up and down. Because the bass goes so low, I don't use my sub for music, as the speakers bass is seamless, with no xover to contend with.

When I saw the Diana Krall Live in Paris DVD, every player was exactly where I heard them on the CD. Front to back spacing was correct. All this powered by a 1050. I can only imagine what a truly high-end amp/pre-amp combo would sound like. I started down the path to tubes by building a Foreplay pre-amp.

I built these from scratch, buying the parts from Madisound, the MDF for the cabinet in 4x8 sheets from a lumber yard. My wife bought the stuffing on one of her trips to a fabric store. Many trips to Home Depot. Built the crossover myself, assembled it all myself. Learned to solder. Learned how to use a router. I still need to apply veneer to finish them, but that will wait until spring when i can work outdoors again.

When its all done, I can look at them and see my own handiwork. I was in a high-end store, where the salesman had his nose up in the air, when I saw speakers with the same drivers. I asked him how much, he said $4000 and I laughed. I spent about $700 on mine and they sound better, much better. It really isn't that hard to do. Check out this website: http://www.geocities.com/diyproac25

Also check out the Madisound forum http://www.madisound.com/ and click on the forum page.

#7075 - 01/04/03 01:08 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
I like some of the other Outlaws am running Paradigms. I have the Monitor 7's and the Studio Center as 99% of the time I watch DVD's. I Love these speakers. I plan on buying the Paradigm ADP-370 for surrounds some time this year to replace the Optimus Pro LX5 that I am using now.

As it was stated already you have to take some music and DVD's with you and see what sounds good to you.

Mike

#7076 - 01/04/03 07:29 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Hey Warpdriver....

I'm courious of what you think about the new design to the ADP 370's. When I was auditioning surrounds I wound up going with the Monitor 3's. I liked a more direct sound when listening to DVD-A (which I fell in love with after hearing Beethoven's 4th on a WB label). The 370 v2 were a dipole with the drivers at a right angle to the wall. This was great for movies, but a little lacking in the 5.1 channel sound. The new ones are at a 45 deg. angle to the wall. Which may give a little more clarity to the surrounds in DVD-A recordings.

Just courious as to you take on the design, and if you've done any A and B test between the Dipole and Bipole speakers.

Jason

#7077 - 01/04/03 08:03 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
gwhunran Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the input. I have searched around on the internet for info on the products mentioned in the replies and found substantial amounts of data. Unfortunatly, the B&W and Paradigms are not available through the internet and can only be purchased from "authorized dealers," as new products. I am afraid that I cannot support that type of business practice for a entertainment product. It's just a personal choice. Please continue to send personal recomendations, my search is far from over t and may be interrupted by a hopefully short trip to the Persian Gulf.
Richard

------------------
Richard Nash

#7078 - 01/04/03 08:41 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
My system consists of primarily NHT.
2.5i, mains biamplified
1.5, surrounds
Audio Center-1, front and rear center
Sub Twoi, Front sub
Polk PSW650, Rear sub

I have nothing but praise for the sound quality of NHT speakers. Very detailed and open sounding but also very inefficent. (86db with 6 ohm imp)
Driving these speakers pushed me to upgrade to the 950/770 combo. So far I am loving the sound of the combo especially compared to the Yamaha receiver that previously held the position. I have listened to some of the other brands posted here (Paradigm, B&W, etc.)and thought they also sounded very nice. I tend to think the speakers color the sound more than any other piece of equipment, so when comparing brands or even different models within a brand you must listen to them. I have friend who thinks his Bose cubes are the geatest sounding things (ouch). Just proves the point.

#7079 - 01/04/03 11:19 PM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I was on the phone with my sister today, and she said her husband, my brother-in-law, was on his way to the Bose store to buy speakers. I told her to stop him because of how bad they were. She got off the phone to call him. I hope she got to him in time, and he wasn't so committed that he bought them anyway. He wanted small, but his room is huge. I guess he'll learn the hard way that 2" cones can't fill a room with sound, even with a "bass module".

I'm surprised he was even thinking that. He has heard some of my DIY speakers. He's also heard my B&W 303s and couldn't believe how little they cost.

#7080 - 01/05/03 12:11 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
warpdriver1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ,USA
fmcorps,

I have not seen the new ADP370's yet. I will be mounting the speakers on the wall behind my couch since I can not mount them on side walls. Since my main thing is HT I guess that is why I am going more with the dipole or bipole. When I do get ready to purchase them though I will take a look at the monitor 3's. If I like the sound of them better then I can always build some stands and angle them toward the couch.

Mike

#7081 - 01/05/03 12:50 AM Re: Searching for new Front Mains.
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
A couple of good online source that I have used for speaker purchases.
http://www.accessories4less.com - Factory online discontinued-closeout dealer for Accoustic Research speakers / I bought brand new AR-11's $379.oo pair + shipping / retail 1000.oo pair / 5 yr wty on all drivers - 1 year wty on built in subwoofer amps when applicable.
Other AR models are also available at considerable discounts = 40-50% off retail. A4L's prices can vary day to day, the AR-11 speakers have run as high as 450.00 pr and as low as 349.00 pr.

Another online dealer to check out with a good assortment of mid-to-upper line speakers.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com
Quite simply - Great prices and service! I picked up a pair of Polk Lsi-9's for 660.oo shipped vs 1100.oo retail. ASD may be a grey market dealer, But I figured most speakers are generally pretty reliable, unless you blow them up by playing your system at rock concert levels of volume
Typical - good online return - restocking fee policies, Full 30 day vs 14 day defective exchange - ASD indicates they will act as wty repairer for length of mfrs. wty's. Execelent communication via e-mail (UPS tracking number and order status inquiries) Phone calls answered by live bodies, and questions are answered. My second order took a few weeks to deliver (new product on market) but I was not billed until it was shipped. BTW A4L's prices on the AR speakers are still better than ASD, But ASD carries a better selection of AR models and other brands.
My .02 cents worth

------------------
My train wreck
My modest HT . .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts