Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7020 - 12/14/02 09:41 PM Crossover settings..Low Freq. still reaching SMALL speakers?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I don't know which forum this is best suited for so I'll try this and another one... I'm trying to get an idea as to what Crossover settings I'll use when I get the 950. I was planning on possibly running all speakers on SMALL...using 40Hz for Mains crossover..and 60Hz for the Center and Surrounds.

I've never actually thoroughly messed or tested any of the crossover settings and I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease.
For the test I am using my trusty told SoundCheck CD, tracks 10 - 16 run thru 20Hz to 80 Hz. I'm using stereo mode for this and have the mains set to small, and the sub ON, with the subs crossover dial set to 80Hz, as is my receiver, set at 80Z.

My Mains, Def Tech BP30's reach down to 20Hz(faintly) and pick up 25Hz wonderful when they are on Large...BUT...even when set to small, they are picking some low frequencies. I thought that they shouldnt get ANY signal whatsoever under 80Hz. Dont get me wrong, the sub is getting 90% of it, but the mains are still getting some.

Am I going crazy or is this normal? I have my Def Tech sub hooked up to my Elite 36TX receivers LFE output for the tests. I was always under the impression that if a crossover was set to say 80Hz(in my case) that NOTHING under 80 would get to speakers set to SMALL, and ALL would go to ONLY the Sub. Please, any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#7021 - 12/14/02 11:34 PM Re: Crossover settings..Low Freq. still reaching SMALL speakers?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
I just learned that in order to filter out most of the frequencies correctly, I'd need a 4th order(24db/octave) crossover to improve upon what I have now. My receiver uses a 12db/octave crossover rate, which I assume most receivers use. Oh well, time to do some more research...

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM