Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7015 - 12/13/02 08:48 AM Magnepan?
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
I just bought a pair of Magnepan MMGs (the "beginner" plannar speakers), and I am curious as to what to expect from the Magnepans paired with an Outlaw 1050. I heard some Magnepans in a store (not the MMGS), and was impressed; I hope I am not going to be ley down.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

#7016 - 12/16/02 10:35 PM Re: Magnepan?
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
WOW! I hooked up my Magnepan MMG speakers this afteroon. Thay are absolutely outstanding! The sound is not boxed in and directional; the sound stages across the entire room, especially when you are in the sweet spot.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Magnepas MMGs to star out with- you can trade up to some larger ones with no value loss from Magnepan. You will be sold!

#7017 - 12/17/02 05:24 PM Re: Magnepan?
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Magnepans always had that WOW factor, and they look cool too.

#7018 - 12/17/02 06:11 PM Re: Magnepan?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Well I was a Maggie convert so I understand your joy, I enjoyed them the whole time I had them! I started with the mmgs' and quickly upgraded to the 1.6s. I found the bass a little lacking with the mmg but for the price they are a fine speaker. A very quick sub is necessary IMHO. I had good luck pairing the maggies with REL but I'm sure any number of manufacturers make a fast enough sub. I do miss the now though.

Happy listening.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#7019 - 12/27/02 02:11 PM Re: Magnepan?
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
I have 1.6QR's in the front and used to have the old 1.5QR's...had impressive Jamo's in between...but just had to go back. Maggie is the way to go. A note on the sub...Maggies are very quick, you will be disappointed if you get a sub without any kind of servo control. the difference is astounding no matter the speaker. I recommend Veledyne and Mirage. I went from a non-servo to the Mirage BBS-250 and what a difference. At mid to loud volumns, the former muddied the sound and had to be turned down (course I drive the 1.6's with about 500 watts a side.
Another treat is Maggies in the rear...spooky on DTS movies actually. I have the 10.1QR but it is discontinued for the model now below the 1.6...suggestion: when you can upgrade to the 1.6, keed the MMG's for the rear. you won't want to ever leave home.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts