Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#70110 - 05/19/07 04:36 PM 1 LFM-1+ versus 2 LFM-2s
SaguaroGeorge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Hi:
I am trying to decide between one LFM-1+ and two LFM-2s. Any advice would be most appreciated. My setup:

Paradigm Monitor 11 v.3 floorstanding speakers, bi-wired. Notwithstanding published specs, in my room they appear to have a useable bass starting at about 60 Hz.

Cambridge Audio Azur 640a integrated stereo (2-channel) amplifier - no LFE socket - my sub is now connected via pre-out.

CA Azur 640c CD player.

Pro-Ject 1 Xpression turntable, Sumiko Pearl cartridge, Bellari VP129 tube phono preamp.

My room is 18' x 16' with a 9-12' cathedral ceiling. It has wall-to-wall carpet but is quite live. I listen mostly to classical symphonic, chamber, and vocal music. Thus there will rarely be any need to go below 40 Hz (except for the longest organ pipes or the bottom of the piano), but a strong and smooth 40 Hz (lowest note on bass fiddle) is essential.

Finally, is it better to connect the subwoofer(s) via the pre-out or at speaker level?

Thanks!

#70111 - 05/19/07 05:59 PM Re: 1 LFM-1+ versus 2 LFM-2s
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks, SaguaroGeorge, for asking your question. My situation is something like yours - same listening tastes but my Magneplanar 1.6QRs get down to about 40Hz. What I want subs for, if anything, is to reproduce all the content in stereo or multichannel musical material, including organ pedals and room acoustics. From what I've read two subwoofers allow better handling of reverb modes in the listening room, as well as two small boxes possibly being easier to integrate visually than one big one.

I'm pretty sure the answer to your "finally" question will be "via the pre-out" if it's one sub, but to preserve the stereo difference signal (slight though it may be in the deep bass) . . . I wonder if you'd have to send the two pre-out signals to the crossovers on the two subs, then send the high-pass-filtered outputs of those crossovers back to your power amps. More cable unfortunately, but you'd have a fully biamped system, with the two channels on each side being the low bass and everything else.

Knowledgeable people, the ball's in your court.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM