Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69964 - 08/09/05 11:36 AM LFM-2 Now Shipping
Scott Offline
Desperado

The LFM-2's have arrived and have been inspected. Shipments will start today. Thanks for your patience while they made their way over!

#69965 - 12/11/05 09:14 AM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Well, I ordered my LFM-2 last week and I anticipate that the unit will arrive next week.

I want to thank Scott with Outlaw for providing me with some useful information via telephone.

My friends are scratching their heads trying to figure out why I would buy a 8" sub when other comparable priced 10" or even 12" subs are available. The operative word here being "comparable priced" not "comparable quality."

I can only hope that once I have the LFM 2 in place I can send my buddies back to their 10" or 12" sub simply envious of my 8" Outlaw sub.

More to come.

Thanks again Scott and happy holidays to you and yours!

dave in Buffalo

#69966 - 12/20/05 12:10 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

well the LFM-2 has arrived and I was pretty impressed with the packaging as well as the "black" cloth used for added protection in shipping.

Quick question as I am a novice when setting up the sub. My B&W speakers list the frequency response at 44Hz - 22kHz + /- 3dB. Is this where I want to set the cross over freq on the sub at 44Hz?

Also, does it matter if the pase switch is set to 0 degrees or 180 degress?

look forward to some feedback.

DM

#69967 - 12/20/05 12:29 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Okay, let's see......

Are you running a surround setup(5.1/6.1/7.1)?
Does the LFM-2 have a crossover-out(bypass)setting?
If you are using a preamp/AVR with bass management, let that do the crossover duties and set your sub's crossover to bypass, or set it at it's upper-most setting to get it out of the way.

I'd start with an 80hz setting and listen how that compares to a 60hz(or other) setting. Most people run 80hz for a multi-channel setup, but if you have the option of different x-over settings for front, center, surround and sub you can experiment.

The phase is there to help dial in the sub when calibrating using a sound pressure level meter, such as the one most people have from Radio Shack. The setting that gives you the highest sound level reading on the meter, at the set X-over frequency, is where you want to set it(0 or 180 degrees).

#69968 - 12/20/05 12:45 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Cadboy! thanks for the quick reply.

I am running 5.1 but my AVM 20 can be used for 7.1 as well, just don't have the space for the two other speakers. The LFM 2 has a crossover-out bypass which I have set to the bypass mode because the AVM has a very flexible bass management system.

I will experiment with the unit but I believe this sub will really make these B&W's sound even better than they sound now.

all the best and thanks once again!

happy holidays from Dave in Buffalo!

#69969 - 12/20/05 01:42 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Cadboy got you squared away on the phase switch. With a 44Hz -3dB point on the B&W's, I'd probably try 60Hz and 80Hz crossover points to find which I liked most.

#69970 - 12/20/05 02:49 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Gonk, I just got the LFM 2 and I am in the process of reading the info that came with the unit and trying to set the unit up.

I noticed on the product diagram in the instructions that it calls for a three prong plug, obviously with a ground but the plug itself from shippd by Outlaw is only a two prong plug??

Is it true that "humming" can occur without the ground plug?

Also, and based on your last post to Cadboy, you mentioned "trying the crossover points at both 60 and 80 and determine which you like the most." Enlighten me as to what you are actually looking for at those crossover levels? Again, remember this is new for me so if my questions sound either ridiculous or elementary, I aplogize for wasting your time

thanks in advance

Dave

#69971 - 12/20/05 04:14 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Actually, the ground plug is often considered the culprit for ground loop hums, and the most common solution is the "lift the ground" with a cheater plug. A cheater plug on a piece of equipment designed to use a ground is not the best solution from a safety standpoint, but a product designed to not require a ground plug is often less susceptible to the problem.

It may not be the most scientific guideline, but I look for the crossover that sounds best in my room, with my hardware, and to my ear. Try a couple different crossovers with movies and music that offer some deep punch to them and see what sounds best to you.

#69972 - 12/20/05 07:21 PM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
what you are looking for is the smoothest transition between sub and speakers.ideal situation:you will never hear the sub,the bass will seem to come from the speakers.IDEALLY you will not be able localize the speakers.

this,in my opinion,is the ultimate goal of any system with any number of channels.(home or vehicle)

#69973 - 12/21/05 09:24 AM Re: LFM-2 Now Shipping
dwmayo1 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Paintload! your logic makes sense.

I hear so many HT systems dominated by the sub to such a point that the fronts to include the center is almost no-existent!

I will keep your logic in mind as I try to fine tune my new sub.

thanks for all your advice!

Happy holidays.

dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts