Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#69273 - 02/18/09 12:35 PM Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
Benkev Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi guys.

I just bought a 990. I have a CD jukebox configured to activate trigger-2 to turn on a stereo power amp that drives speakers throughout my house through a speaker selection switch. Zone 2 seems to be working, however, it only works after I turn on the main zone. This seems "wasteful." In my set-up trigger-1 turns on a bank of EQs, electronic x-overs, and power amps. This is very "ungreen."

Is there any way to configure the 990 to operate zone 2 independently of the main zone?

Thanks guys.

#69274 - 02/18/09 12:52 PM Re: Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think the issue is that trigger 2 is not paying attention to the second zone's status (ie the command to engage trigger 2 doesn't get sent when the second zone selects that input), so it only comes on if the CD input is active in the main zone.

#69275 - 02/18/09 01:13 PM Re: Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
Benkev Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you gonk. I'm not sure there's a "solution" in your response. Are you suggesting that I could do the following:

1) Turn on the main zone & select CD input.
2) Turn on zone 2 & select CD input.
3) Turn off the main zone (and zone 2 will now continue?)

I'm at work now. I can give this a try tonight.

-Thanks again.

#69276 - 02/18/09 05:03 PM Re: Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

My previous post was more a diagnosis of the problem than a solution. Your idea is worth a try, but I fear the trigger 2 signal will cut off when the main zone gets shut down. I actually wonder about some alternate method of triggering that stereo amp (something separate from the 990's triggers, assuming that the triggers really are tied to the main zone status).

Here's another idea to try: does trigger 1 come on when you turn on the second zone? I don't recall if it does or not, but if it does you could switch your trigger 1 and trigger 2 cables and set all of your inputs to engage trigger 2. In that scenario, having the main zone off would leave your EQ's, crossovers, and multichannel amp(s) off and trigger 1 would engage when the second zone was active. This only works if trigger 1 fires up when the second zone is on, though, and I don't know if that is the case or not.

#69277 - 02/19/09 02:39 AM Re: Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
Benkev Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi gonk.

Your suggestion to logically reverse the trigger-1 and trigger-2 functions seems to have worked.

I swapped trigger-1 and trigger-2. I set each main zone input to turn on trigger-2. The main zone now works just as it did before. Zone 2 can now be turned on and off independently of the main zone and it turns its stereo power amp on and off just as you hypothesized.

Thanks again.

P.S. Am I the only person that has run into this "problem?" I am reminded of a quotation (maybe Jack Handy) "Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else."

#69278 - 02/19/09 02:56 AM Re: Main Zone & Zone 2 Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

I don't remember this having been an issue previously, but there's a corner of my mind that thinks this may have come up at least once before. It is a good reminder that there are a whole lot of different ways to set a product like the 990 up... smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts