Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6919 - 10/07/02 02:29 PM Speaker Ideas for 950
tx_outlaw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX, US
o.k. i'm going to open up a can of worms, but hey i figure you guys might have been there done that (in chosing speakers, that is).

I've just recently purchased / setup my 950/770 combo. It has left my speakers (Energy Encore 5.1) lacking. 60% HT 40% music.

I went ahead and purchased an SVS sub. Now I'm trying to figure out the best (yes, i know this is subjective) 7 speaker setup for less than $3500.

I've read some great things about Divas/Rockets (possibly 750s).

Heard the Paridigm Studio 100s. (much better than my current Encore system, just not sold on them yet)

My third thought is the Energy Connoisseur line (haven't auditioned yet).

Does anyone on the fourm have experience with these speakers mated with the 950/770, or have other comperable suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#6920 - 10/07/02 03:00 PM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've used the Paradigm Studio/60's (and CC and ADP's, along with an SVS 25-31PCi) mated with a 950/750 and been quite pleased. It is a matter of personal taste, though, so definitely trust your own ear. Psklenar seems to be very happy with his Rockets, which he's driving with a 1050.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#6921 - 10/17/02 07:24 PM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
DaBaddog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fl
12 years ago I went with a friend to audition some Magneplaners. 12 years later Iam still thinking about them. With their new surround setup and at the ballpark price you stated .....of course you would have to match a sub with them.
I dont understand why you dont hear more about these speakers ?

another 2 cents

#6922 - 10/18/02 09:35 AM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
carvinman1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Hamilton, OH, USA
A good friend of mine is using the Polk LSi series with his Outlaw ring, and it sounds fantastic. Give the LSi's a listen if you have a dealer close by.
Danny

#6923 - 10/31/02 10:37 AM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Gonk,

I'm wondering if, before you settled on the Studio 60's, you listened to the 40's. What are your opinions between the two??

By the time you add the stands for the 40's they are about the same price as the 60's.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 60's and will probably order them in the next week.

fly guy

#6924 - 10/31/02 02:49 PM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
tx_outlaw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

An update on my speakers (Since I started this thread).

I auditioned the Energy Connoisseur Line against the Paridigm Studio 100s.

The Energy Speakers won. So, I got 2 mains and a center channel to match. Game Over.

Well not quite. The good folks @ AV123 finally got my Rocket speakers off the boat. They allow you to audition in your house with the option of shipping them back. So, I got the speakers last Friday set them in the general location of my others. Out of the box without any calibration they are the best speakers I've heard in my price renge.

So I'm sold on the Rockets! I'm still fine tuning for optimal setup but if anyone is in Houston, and wanted to audition, let me know.

#6925 - 11/07/02 04:27 PM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
jesterb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Bellevue, WA, USA
tx_outlaw, Which Energy speakers did you end up with? I am looking at getting new speakers and am considering both the Energy C-5's and the Onix Rocket 550's. I currently have some Energy exl-16's but am looking to move to floor standing speakers and would use them 75% of the time for stereo listening.

What Rockets did you end up with? If possible could you comment on the differences between the Rockets and the Energy's.

I would like to listen to the Rockets before buying but cannot find anyone in the Seattle area who has them and is willing to demo them. The nearest match at Audioenvy is in California.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

#6926 - 11/07/02 05:15 PM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
Norman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Great Falls, VA
If you are still auditioning, you should listen to Linns. For HT you would use a pair of Ninka models as mains, a Trikan center and a pair of Katan models for surround. They offer two very good models of subs but you can do as well for less money from other brands. List for this stuff is around $100 over your stated price point, but I'd be astounded if the dealer wouldn't work with you a bit on this big an order.

#6927 - 11/08/02 09:03 AM Re: Speaker Ideas for 950
tx_outlaw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by jesterb:
tx_outlaw, Which Energy speakers did you end up with? I am looking at getting new speakers and am considering both the Energy C-5's and the Onix Rocket 550's. I currently have some Energy exl-16's but am looking to move to floor standing speakers and would use them 75% of the time for stereo listening.

What Rockets did you end up with? If possible could you comment on the differences between the Rockets and the Energy's.

I would like to listen to the Rockets before buying but cannot find anyone in the Seattle area who has them and is willing to demo them. The nearest match at Audioenvy is in California.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I got the C-9s. Now I'm not an expert by any means, but in the show room I auditioned them they were excellent. In my home they sounded great as well. Then I hooked up the Rocket 750s, WOW!!! I don't know all of the "tech" terms. The instruments seemed to be more defined (kind of hard to explain until you hear it, but it seemed there were individual instruments in the front of the room instead of sound coming from speakers).
They also seemed to have a more forgiving sound stage??. What I'm trying to say is that it was easier to place them in the front of the room and they sound great from the chair in the center or the couch or love seat on the sides of the room.
I have the whole 7.1 setup which included the 300s for sides and the 550s for rears (I realize that it overkill, but they didn't have any of the bookshelf size 250s??, until December and I'm impatient). These are amazing speakers as well. Sound wise they seem very close to the 750s (a little too close). So, if you go with the 550s I don't think you will be disappointed.

By the way on a side note, there is no comparison between the rockets and anything else close to this price range for looks. This was NOT a major concern when I was shopping, but now that they are in the house everyone (men and women) have comented on the "beauty" of these things. They are pieces of fine furniture which make the rest of my stuff look a little cheap.

Sorry to drone on for sooo long. As to getting an audition, have you checked out avsfourm.com ? If not just search for "rocket" on avsfourm. There is a huge thread something like "Rocket by Onix: Best speaker for the money EVER?". Make a request there for audition. Good group of people, somebody might be there who could help you out.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts