Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#69210 - 03/21/09 03:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greater Washington D.C. area
The 990 caused me to do a complete re-wiring, also, but it was the first time in about 10 years, and was long overdue. Just unplugging and re-plugging interconnects helps keep them a bit cleaner, and it allowed me the opportunity to improve some wire choices, lengths, routing, etc. Plus lots of dusting and cleaning around the components.

I think my issue has to do with the Dolby Pro-Logic II. If I experience that problem it's only on stations w/ 2-channel audio and my 990 is set to use ProLogic II. So, then I manually switch to "Dolby Digital" (didn't know I could do that) and I get a stronger center channel and the problem I had been experiencing (e.g., dialog and laugh track and other sounds searching for a channel to be in) is eliminated. Unfortunately, if I then change to a true 5.1 audio station, and then switch back to a lower 2-channel station, the 990 defaults back to the ProLogic II w/ the problematic sound. What I don't know is what might be the underlying culprit. Either it's the 990's ProLogic II chip (so ultimately warranty can cover it if that is indeed the problem) or it is the source of the audio...the Motrola STB, which is my hunch...so I will likely request a replacement soon. I'm guessing the rather low-fi STB may be doing something to the 2-channel FIOS audio. Unless Verizon is doing something to it. Wouldn't surprise me, maybe I'll ask them during my monthly call where I request them to stop billing me for something I did not request, to which they agree and apologize, but the next month, there it is again. Lame. But I digress.

Another thought - maybe I need to double check the polarity of my center, L and R speaker wires (wouldn't ProLogic II be rather sensitive to the incorrect polarity, given how the 2-channel signal gets manipulated via the signal polarity?) I better get the flashlight and sweatband back out...I"m going in!
Panasonic TC P50ST60 plasma TV
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB
Channel Master CM-4221 HD UFH antenna
Monster HTS 2600 mk.II power management

Audio Only Side:
McCormack RLD-1 Preamp (has theater pass-thru)
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq
Cambridge Soundworks surrounds

#69211 - 03/21/09 04:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
How do you have your STB hooked to your 990? I have a Mototola 1216 box for my u-verse. I have it hooked into my pre amp with an hdmi cable. It works great BUT I found out that the software in my box will only output 2 channel PCM through the hdmi at the present time. The preamp defaults to pro logic II for that, which actually does a very nice job of it. If I would use a digital audio hookup , either toslink or coax for the sound, the Dolby Digital would come though fine.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69212 - 03/21/09 04:07 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
btw...how does the PL II work with other two channel sources besides your STB? That could at least let you know if the problem follows the 990 or the stb.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69213 - 03/21/09 04:12 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greater Washington D.C. area
I have both a digital coax cable, and an RCA pair, from the STB to the 990 for audio.

Video is via component, switched through the 990.

Good idea on the PL II, I'll try that. I just went down to look at the back of the STB, my daughter is watching the original Poseiden Adventure, and I was switching surround modes, and PL II mode definitely is wrong...Red Buttons' voice was strong in the right channel and it just sounds bad. Watchable, but not up to my standard.
Panasonic TC P50ST60 plasma TV
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB
Channel Master CM-4221 HD UFH antenna
Monster HTS 2600 mk.II power management

Audio Only Side:
McCormack RLD-1 Preamp (has theater pass-thru)
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq
Cambridge Soundworks surrounds

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users