Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69190 - 01/25/09 12:11 AM New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greater Washington D.C. area
I finished setting up a new 990, my first foray into using a preamp for video switching (I used to send video straight from source to my Toshiba CRT, audio went to a simply DD decoder/preamp). I must say, 2-channel audio is terrific...and was one of my worries, but listening to analog inputs from a Marantz CD-63 via Bypass has been great. Cannot wait to hook up my turntable. Very relieved.

DVD performance, both video and audio, are beyond expectation. Wonderful.

But I am still working out some glitches in both audio and video when watching T.V. via Verizon FIOS. For example, audio 'throbs' in and out when watching certain stations. And on video, I get changes to formatting (screen size-again, certain stations, typically standard TV) that I never got before, whether watching OTA HD signals thru an LG set-top box, or more recently, FIOS via their Motorola set top box.

If I watch HD stations, all seems OK. But other stations...I used to have zero issues, but now I have that audio throbbing, and video aspect ratio changing. I have scrutinized the manuals for the Motorola set top box, the T.V., and cannot find a solution. For example, the set top box has audio output options of "Fixed" and "Variable" yet no useful advice as to which to choose. Also, Motorola manual says to set the volume to 3/4 if using an A/V receiver for audio. This suggests that the audio output from the Motorola is tied to volume, but I'm simply using the audio digital output from the Motorola to the 990.

Anyway, if anyone has experienced some issues w/ using the Motorola set top box, let me know. I am currently using coax digital for audio, and component for video, both to the 990.
Panasonic TC P50ST60 plasma TV
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB
Channel Master CM-4221 HD UFH antenna
Monster HTS 2600 mk.II power management

Audio Only Side:
McCormack RLD-1 Preamp (has theater pass-thru)
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq
Cambridge Soundworks surrounds

#69191 - 01/25/09 03:59 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Folks, after doing some more reading elsewhere, I am concluding that the problem is likely my Motorola STB for Fios -- although I have not solved it yet. I initially did not rule out the 990, only because it is in the path of both audio and video, and I only started experiencing these issues after installing the 990. But that might turn out to have been a coincidence. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

#69192 - 01/29/09 09:29 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I have always used "fixed" settings and used the 990 for volumn control and have never had any issues.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#69193 - 01/30/09 08:51 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. So, not to beat a dead horse:

Has anyone else run into less-than-satisfying audio when watching 'digital' television (e.g., Fios via a Motorola set-top box connected to the 990 via digital coax or optical cable)?

Symptom best described as awkward surround processing...for example, low level dialog plays in center speaker, then laugh track is much louder in L/R or surrounds. It also can sometimes sound like the surround processing can't make up it's mind, like it is switching between a couple different formats.

By the way, I finally hooked up turntable. While I have not yet had time to compare the 990's phono section to my Lehmann Black Cube phono, I can say that the 990's phono section does not disappoint!
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

#69194 - 01/31/09 12:49 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I've had some of these issues and found the problem to be with the one of the amps.

#69195 - 03/07/09 01:54 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Chessie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
12stepper -

I've only had my 990/7500 for a couple days now, so I can't really help solve your problem, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I have Comcast HD cable via a Motorola STB and initially had the same issue when I hooked things up the first time. If I remember correctly, I was initially using analog L/R audio cables from the STB to the 990, along with the HDMI out from the STB to the 990. I recall setting the audio mode for the input channel to 'analog' and then playing with some of the surround formats. I think when I had selected 5 channel stereo I may have had the audio throbbing you describe. Anyway, I have since run the HDMI straight to my TV (don't want to have to turn on the 990 and 7500 just to watch the news, for example) and used a digital coax for the audio and I have no more issues like that.

Anyway, I hope somebody here can get you on the right path. I've still got lots of playing around to do. Auto setup is not working for me, and I need to grab a few more components so that I can hear some really good 2-channel sound, need to figure out the best way to run video, etc., but that will all be another post I suppose.

#69196 - 03/11/09 10:19 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
I'll be joining in the fun of setting up and using a 990. I ordered one from Outlaw earlier today, and it's been picked up already by fed ex and is on the way.

I'll be using it in a system that is primarily used for music..with Magnepan 1.6QR speakers in the front driven by a Threshold S500e power amp. I also have a three channel Adcom amp running the polk surrounds and an Infinity center channel, along with an Infinity SSW 210 subwoofer.

My music source now is a logitech squeezebox Duet system streaming wma lossless files from my main computer. I'll hook that into the 990 with either an optical or coax digital cable. I'll try them both and see which sounds better.

The 990 has the capability of upconverting the normal CD digital output to 24 bit 192 khz. How have those of you who have a 990 found that to work?

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69197 - 03/11/09 10:29 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've been pretty satisfied with the 990's upsample mode. Be aware, though, that you will not be able to use it in conjunction with any other processing - so no upsampling paired with Pro Logic II or 5 Stereo.

#69198 - 03/12/09 03:25 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
Regarding 12stepper's problem, I have Cox HD cable with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC box, but for a similar reason to Chessie, I don't route the video & audio through the 990. I use HDMI from the cable box to my Toshiba 52XF550U LCD TV. For audio, I use the optical output on the TV to the 990. This works well with no problems. In fact, the 990, coupled to a 7700, has been awesome in all respects with both movie and music audio. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. My only nit is I've used loudness compensation with previous receivers, and the 990 doesn't appear to have that function. However, I can live without that.

I did initially have an issue with no sound on the HDMI output from the cable box. After searching all of the Scientific Atlanta and Cox documentation and finding nothing that would indicate a setup change needed for this connection, Cox technical support was called. Tech support laughed, said this was a common problem that often resulted in people taking their TV's back to the store, and then provided undocumented setup information that got the HDMI audio working. I offer this experience to suggest that a call to Verizon tech support might be worthwhile if that has not been done. There just might be some undocumented information that would cure the audio/video problem.

Regarding strindl's question about upsample mode on CD's, I've been using that and am quite satisfied with it. I did make some other changes from my previous CD setup to the 990, so I can not say if all of the improvement is due to upsampling, but my CD music has better clarity than before. I really should do a comparison between the various modes, but have not taken the time to do that.

Bill

#69199 - 03/12/09 04:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
I've been pretty satisfied with the 990's upsample mode. Be aware, though, that you will not be able to use it in conjunction with any other processing - so no upsampling paired with Pro Logic II or 5 Stereo.
ahh..I did not know about that. I've always appreciated a GOOD surround system when listening to music on many recordings. Right now I'm listening to a live concert of Bob Dylan at Carnegie Hall recorded in 1964. I'm using the Pro Logic II decoding on my integra dhc 9.9 in my main system and I love the effect that surround mode gives to the music.

For a recording made that long ago, that Bob Dylan live concert is amazingly good on a high end system. The surround processor in my living room system now, where the 990 soon will be, is a 10 year old Harman Kardon Signature 2.0. That has Dolby Digital and DTS, but the pro logic is the older normal version..not PLII. It doesn't do nearly as good of a job on that Bob Dylan CD.

I'm looking forward to getting that 990 set up with the maggies and see what those speakers are truly capable of
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69200 - 03/12/09 10:39 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
I am using a Motorola DVR from Verizon with FIOS and have used both optical and coaxial for a digital audio signal while using component for video.
I use component cables to my Grand Wega letting the 990 do all work including volume. I have never checked any settings on the DVR. There have been a few glitches with audio and video on the FIOS end but nothing I could attribute to the 990.
I would request a new STB from Verizon to see if the problem continues. That was the advice of the tech that came to the house.

#69201 - 03/14/09 04:23 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Oh boy...my 990 is sitting in my living room. It's still in the box, but I like just seeing that there and anticipating setting it up and hearing it for the first time.

Unfortunately, I have a condo meeting to attend this afternoon so I won't be able to start with it until afterward.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69202 - 03/14/09 05:35 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Let us know how the setup goes, Scott!

#69203 - 03/15/09 09:32 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Let us know how the setup goes, Scott!
I started getting into it about three hours ago, and once I started to dis assemble the setup, I decided the best bet would be just to completely take everything apart and start over.

I had too many unused components still hooked in there with such a massive jumble of cables and wires that it's easier to pull everything out of the racks and assemble it all properly and orderly.

For example, I still had a fancy NEC video and audio switcher there. That was from maybe 1988 or so..right when S video connectors came out. The video and audio switching capabilities of the 990 make that un necessary.

I als had two VHS vcr's still in the rack. I rarely ever use even one. I had my very nice Toshiba 9200 DVD/CD/DVD -A player which is a very fine sounding and looking unit with component video outs, but I also had an Adcom 575 CD player. I havn't used that Adcom in years. Since I have a squeezebox Duet system there as well, I only use the Toshiba for DVD audio or the rare DVD movie. Maybe a DTS CD here and there. Heck..I still have a fancy 3 head, 3 motor direct drive Sony cassette player/recorder in there.

I've pretty much got the rack cleared out now and have to sit down and figure out the placement of things with the Outlaw as the centerpiece. The new setup will have far less cables and far fewer components.

I think I'll even pick up a balanced audio cable to connect the main channels output of the 990 to my threshold power amp.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69204 - 03/16/09 02:40 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Geez...that will teach me not to just hodge podge thinsg together for years. This is what my living room equipment looked like before I started tearing it apart. Lots of unused pieces in there..and even more unused cables and wires.

I finally have all of the gear removed and all of the cables and wires out. What a mess that was. Over the years as I changed components, I hadn't ever done a complete tear down and rebuild..I just sort of made do with what was there. I bet I'm not the only one who has done that type of thing.

Anyways...now I get to start over from scratch and do things right with far less mess. I have to make sure I engineer the setup properly this time. The 990 goes in first , the threshold power amp will only fit on that one shelf so that stays in place. Everything else is going where it fits best in relation to the 990 and threshold.

I know I'll really appreciate this when it's all done. smile

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69205 - 03/16/09 02:43 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

I feel your pain. I've done that sort of complete tear-down a time or two and some partial tear-downs even more times than that. I'm also about due for another, as I want to make some ventilation improvements to my cabinet, but I need to find a day off from the world (preferably a week day so I can dismantle the den without getting crosswise of the family) to do it and don't anticipate that happening soon. When you're done, though, it will be a relief. smile

#69206 - 03/18/09 06:13 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

OK..I finished getting it all set up with the new 990 and I'm very pleased. I'm still experimenting with the various settings for listening to music through my squeezebox Duet, but it all sounds very very good.

I'll have to spend a few hours listening to music until I find the exact settings I like best, but that kind of thing is enjoyable. I've tried the upsampling and that can sound really nice. On lots of recordings I've decided that I prefer a little surround effect though. I'm fiddling with Pro logic II music with some changes on the dimension, panorama and center width settings. I'd prefer most of the front sound on music to come from the Magnepans instead of the Infinity IL36c center channel speaker. Somewhere in all that I'll find my ideal settings.

I have not yet tried a DVD Audio disc, or any of the DTS music CD's I have. I havn't tried any movies in Dolby Digital either..or my Uverse HD cable box. I got rid of the two VCR's I had in there, plus the NEC video switcher and the unused Adcom CD player. I did put a turntable in though. I hadn't used it for years but I kinda like it there. I also may slip a laserdisc player in the one open shelf I still have. I happen to have a few laying around unused

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69207 - 03/18/09 09:26 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

And how come , even though I was being very very careful hooking up the cables, I managed to get the right and left wires crossed?
I had it all set up last night with all of the components placed back onto the shelving in their normal positions..and then I went to configure the cpeakers. The left and right fronts were the opposite of the left and right surrounds. grrrrrrrr...I hate when I do that.

So...I had to pull the 990 out from the shelf again and swap the channels. I put it all back before I went to bed...with everything hooked up properly and working well.

It did take me a while familiarize myself with how the remote worked...for example, for the longest time, I thought I had to go back into the input configuration to switch the surround mode from one of the dolby ones back to upsample. Then I discovered that stereo button on the remote. That works much easier. smile

Scott

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69208 - 03/19/09 06:00 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Chessie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I feel your pain, Scott -

Took all my stuff apart the other day and reworked all the cables. Put everything back in place, realized that I had switched two of the interconnects between the 990 and the 7500. My R and surround R were switched, and I was watching a DVD. Kind of weird having dialog coming from cross corners.

#69209 - 03/20/09 02:08 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

lol...see..I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that stuff. There are just so many cables and wires to hookup that it us just way too easy to get one wrong.

I did get smart enough to put a duct tape label on the ends of each cable that hooks up to the preamp though. That way I at least don't have to keep tracing the wires back to their source when I get them mixed up.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69210 - 03/21/09 03:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

The 990 caused me to do a complete re-wiring, also, but it was the first time in about 10 years, and was long overdue. Just unplugging and re-plugging interconnects helps keep them a bit cleaner, and it allowed me the opportunity to improve some wire choices, lengths, routing, etc. Plus lots of dusting and cleaning around the components.

I think my issue has to do with the Dolby Pro-Logic II. If I experience that problem it's only on stations w/ 2-channel audio and my 990 is set to use ProLogic II. So, then I manually switch to "Dolby Digital" (didn't know I could do that) and I get a stronger center channel and the problem I had been experiencing (e.g., dialog and laugh track and other sounds searching for a channel to be in) is eliminated. Unfortunately, if I then change to a true 5.1 audio station, and then switch back to a lower 2-channel station, the 990 defaults back to the ProLogic II w/ the problematic sound. What I don't know is what might be the underlying culprit. Either it's the 990's ProLogic II chip (so ultimately warranty can cover it if that is indeed the problem) or it is the source of the audio...the Motrola STB, which is my hunch...so I will likely request a replacement soon. I'm guessing the rather low-fi STB may be doing something to the 2-channel FIOS audio. Unless Verizon is doing something to it. Wouldn't surprise me, maybe I'll ask them during my monthly call where I request them to stop billing me for something I did not request, to which they agree and apologize, but the next month, there it is again. Lame. But I digress.

Another thought - maybe I need to double check the polarity of my center, L and R speaker wires (wouldn't ProLogic II be rather sensitive to the incorrect polarity, given how the 2-channel signal gets manipulated via the signal polarity?) I better get the flashlight and sweatband back out...I"m going in!
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

#69211 - 03/21/09 04:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

How do you have your STB hooked to your 990? I have a Mototola 1216 box for my u-verse. I have it hooked into my pre amp with an hdmi cable. It works great BUT I found out that the software in my box will only output 2 channel PCM through the hdmi at the present time. The preamp defaults to pro logic II for that, which actually does a very nice job of it. If I would use a digital audio hookup , either toslink or coax for the sound, the Dolby Digital would come though fine.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69212 - 03/21/09 04:07 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

btw...how does the PL II work with other two channel sources besides your STB? That could at least let you know if the problem follows the 990 or the stb.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69213 - 03/21/09 04:12 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

I have both a digital coax cable, and an RCA pair, from the STB to the 990 for audio.

Video is via component, switched through the 990.

Good idea on the PL II, I'll try that. I just went down to look at the back of the STB, my daughter is watching the original Poseiden Adventure, and I was switching surround modes, and PL II mode definitely is wrong...Red Buttons' voice was strong in the right channel and it just sounds bad. Watchable, but not up to my standard.
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts