Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69200 - 03/12/09 10:39 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
I am using a Motorola DVR from Verizon with FIOS and have used both optical and coaxial for a digital audio signal while using component for video.
I use component cables to my Grand Wega letting the 990 do all work including volume. I have never checked any settings on the DVR. There have been a few glitches with audio and video on the FIOS end but nothing I could attribute to the 990.
I would request a new STB from Verizon to see if the problem continues. That was the advice of the tech that came to the house.

#69201 - 03/14/09 04:23 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Oh boy...my 990 is sitting in my living room. It's still in the box, but I like just seeing that there and anticipating setting it up and hearing it for the first time.

Unfortunately, I have a condo meeting to attend this afternoon so I won't be able to start with it until afterward.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69202 - 03/14/09 05:35 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Let us know how the setup goes, Scott!

#69203 - 03/15/09 09:32 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Let us know how the setup goes, Scott!
I started getting into it about three hours ago, and once I started to dis assemble the setup, I decided the best bet would be just to completely take everything apart and start over.

I had too many unused components still hooked in there with such a massive jumble of cables and wires that it's easier to pull everything out of the racks and assemble it all properly and orderly.

For example, I still had a fancy NEC video and audio switcher there. That was from maybe 1988 or so..right when S video connectors came out. The video and audio switching capabilities of the 990 make that un necessary.

I als had two VHS vcr's still in the rack. I rarely ever use even one. I had my very nice Toshiba 9200 DVD/CD/DVD -A player which is a very fine sounding and looking unit with component video outs, but I also had an Adcom 575 CD player. I havn't used that Adcom in years. Since I have a squeezebox Duet system there as well, I only use the Toshiba for DVD audio or the rare DVD movie. Maybe a DTS CD here and there. Heck..I still have a fancy 3 head, 3 motor direct drive Sony cassette player/recorder in there.

I've pretty much got the rack cleared out now and have to sit down and figure out the placement of things with the Outlaw as the centerpiece. The new setup will have far less cables and far fewer components.

I think I'll even pick up a balanced audio cable to connect the main channels output of the 990 to my threshold power amp.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69204 - 03/16/09 02:40 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Geez...that will teach me not to just hodge podge thinsg together for years. This is what my living room equipment looked like before I started tearing it apart. Lots of unused pieces in there..and even more unused cables and wires.

I finally have all of the gear removed and all of the cables and wires out. What a mess that was. Over the years as I changed components, I hadn't ever done a complete tear down and rebuild..I just sort of made do with what was there. I bet I'm not the only one who has done that type of thing.

Anyways...now I get to start over from scratch and do things right with far less mess. I have to make sure I engineer the setup properly this time. The 990 goes in first , the threshold power amp will only fit on that one shelf so that stays in place. Everything else is going where it fits best in relation to the 990 and threshold.

I know I'll really appreciate this when it's all done. smile

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69205 - 03/16/09 02:43 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I feel your pain. I've done that sort of complete tear-down a time or two and some partial tear-downs even more times than that. I'm also about due for another, as I want to make some ventilation improvements to my cabinet, but I need to find a day off from the world (preferably a week day so I can dismantle the den without getting crosswise of the family) to do it and don't anticipate that happening soon. When you're done, though, it will be a relief. smile

#69206 - 03/18/09 06:13 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

OK..I finished getting it all set up with the new 990 and I'm very pleased. I'm still experimenting with the various settings for listening to music through my squeezebox Duet, but it all sounds very very good.

I'll have to spend a few hours listening to music until I find the exact settings I like best, but that kind of thing is enjoyable. I've tried the upsampling and that can sound really nice. On lots of recordings I've decided that I prefer a little surround effect though. I'm fiddling with Pro logic II music with some changes on the dimension, panorama and center width settings. I'd prefer most of the front sound on music to come from the Magnepans instead of the Infinity IL36c center channel speaker. Somewhere in all that I'll find my ideal settings.

I have not yet tried a DVD Audio disc, or any of the DTS music CD's I have. I havn't tried any movies in Dolby Digital either..or my Uverse HD cable box. I got rid of the two VCR's I had in there, plus the NEC video switcher and the unused Adcom CD player. I did put a turntable in though. I hadn't used it for years but I kinda like it there. I also may slip a laserdisc player in the one open shelf I still have. I happen to have a few laying around unused

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69207 - 03/18/09 09:26 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

And how come , even though I was being very very careful hooking up the cables, I managed to get the right and left wires crossed?
I had it all set up last night with all of the components placed back onto the shelving in their normal positions..and then I went to configure the cpeakers. The left and right fronts were the opposite of the left and right surrounds. grrrrrrrr...I hate when I do that.

So...I had to pull the 990 out from the shelf again and swap the channels. I put it all back before I went to bed...with everything hooked up properly and working well.

It did take me a while familiarize myself with how the remote worked...for example, for the longest time, I thought I had to go back into the input configuration to switch the surround mode from one of the dolby ones back to upsample. Then I discovered that stereo button on the remote. That works much easier. smile

Scott

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69208 - 03/19/09 06:00 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Chessie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I feel your pain, Scott -

Took all my stuff apart the other day and reworked all the cables. Put everything back in place, realized that I had switched two of the interconnects between the 990 and the 7500. My R and surround R were switched, and I was watching a DVD. Kind of weird having dialog coming from cross corners.

#69209 - 03/20/09 02:08 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

lol...see..I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that stuff. There are just so many cables and wires to hookup that it us just way too easy to get one wrong.

I did get smart enough to put a duct tape label on the ends of each cable that hooks up to the preamp though. That way I at least don't have to keep tracing the wires back to their source when I get them mixed up.

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts