Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69190 - 01/25/09 12:11 AM New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Greater Washington D.C. area
I finished setting up a new 990, my first foray into using a preamp for video switching (I used to send video straight from source to my Toshiba CRT, audio went to a simply DD decoder/preamp). I must say, 2-channel audio is terrific...and was one of my worries, but listening to analog inputs from a Marantz CD-63 via Bypass has been great. Cannot wait to hook up my turntable. Very relieved.

DVD performance, both video and audio, are beyond expectation. Wonderful.

But I am still working out some glitches in both audio and video when watching T.V. via Verizon FIOS. For example, audio 'throbs' in and out when watching certain stations. And on video, I get changes to formatting (screen size-again, certain stations, typically standard TV) that I never got before, whether watching OTA HD signals thru an LG set-top box, or more recently, FIOS via their Motorola set top box.

If I watch HD stations, all seems OK. But other stations...I used to have zero issues, but now I have that audio throbbing, and video aspect ratio changing. I have scrutinized the manuals for the Motorola set top box, the T.V., and cannot find a solution. For example, the set top box has audio output options of "Fixed" and "Variable" yet no useful advice as to which to choose. Also, Motorola manual says to set the volume to 3/4 if using an A/V receiver for audio. This suggests that the audio output from the Motorola is tied to volume, but I'm simply using the audio digital output from the Motorola to the 990.

Anyway, if anyone has experienced some issues w/ using the Motorola set top box, let me know. I am currently using coax digital for audio, and component for video, both to the 990.
Panasonic TC P50ST60 plasma TV
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB
Channel Master CM-4221 HD UFH antenna
Monster HTS 2600 mk.II power management

Audio Only Side:
McCormack RLD-1 Preamp (has theater pass-thru)
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq
Cambridge Soundworks surrounds

#69191 - 01/25/09 03:59 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Folks, after doing some more reading elsewhere, I am concluding that the problem is likely my Motorola STB for Fios -- although I have not solved it yet. I initially did not rule out the 990, only because it is in the path of both audio and video, and I only started experiencing these issues after installing the 990. But that might turn out to have been a coincidence. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

#69192 - 01/29/09 09:29 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I have always used "fixed" settings and used the 990 for volumn control and have never had any issues.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#69193 - 01/30/09 08:51 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
12stepper Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. So, not to beat a dead horse:

Has anyone else run into less-than-satisfying audio when watching 'digital' television (e.g., Fios via a Motorola set-top box connected to the 990 via digital coax or optical cable)?

Symptom best described as awkward surround processing...for example, low level dialog plays in center speaker, then laugh track is much louder in L/R or surrounds. It also can sometimes sound like the surround processing can't make up it's mind, like it is switching between a couple different formats.

By the way, I finally hooked up turntable. While I have not yet had time to compare the 990's phono section to my Lehmann Black Cube phono, I can say that the 990's phono section does not disappoint!
Oppo BD-103 blu ray
LG-LST3510 OTA STB

Audio Only Side:
Onkyo CD Player LX-7555
Thorens TD 320 MkII

Speakers:
Vandersteen 1C, VCC, 2Wq

#69194 - 01/31/09 12:49 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I've had some of these issues and found the problem to be with the one of the amps.

#69195 - 03/07/09 01:54 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
Chessie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
12stepper -

I've only had my 990/7500 for a couple days now, so I can't really help solve your problem, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I have Comcast HD cable via a Motorola STB and initially had the same issue when I hooked things up the first time. If I remember correctly, I was initially using analog L/R audio cables from the STB to the 990, along with the HDMI out from the STB to the 990. I recall setting the audio mode for the input channel to 'analog' and then playing with some of the surround formats. I think when I had selected 5 channel stereo I may have had the audio throbbing you describe. Anyway, I have since run the HDMI straight to my TV (don't want to have to turn on the 990 and 7500 just to watch the news, for example) and used a digital coax for the audio and I have no more issues like that.

Anyway, I hope somebody here can get you on the right path. I've still got lots of playing around to do. Auto setup is not working for me, and I need to grab a few more components so that I can hear some really good 2-channel sound, need to figure out the best way to run video, etc., but that will all be another post I suppose.

#69196 - 03/11/09 10:19 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
I'll be joining in the fun of setting up and using a 990. I ordered one from Outlaw earlier today, and it's been picked up already by fed ex and is on the way.

I'll be using it in a system that is primarily used for music..with Magnepan 1.6QR speakers in the front driven by a Threshold S500e power amp. I also have a three channel Adcom amp running the polk surrounds and an Infinity center channel, along with an Infinity SSW 210 subwoofer.

My music source now is a logitech squeezebox Duet system streaming wma lossless files from my main computer. I'll hook that into the 990 with either an optical or coax digital cable. I'll try them both and see which sounds better.

The 990 has the capability of upconverting the normal CD digital output to 24 bit 192 khz. How have those of you who have a 990 found that to work?

Scott
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#69197 - 03/11/09 10:29 PM Re: New User - Observation & Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've been pretty satisfied with the 990's upsample mode. Be aware, though, that you will not be able to use it in conjunction with any other processing - so no upsampling paired with Pro Logic II or 5 Stereo.

#69198 - 03/12/09 03:25 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
Regarding 12stepper's problem, I have Cox HD cable with a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC box, but for a similar reason to Chessie, I don't route the video & audio through the 990. I use HDMI from the cable box to my Toshiba 52XF550U LCD TV. For audio, I use the optical output on the TV to the 990. This works well with no problems. In fact, the 990, coupled to a 7700, has been awesome in all respects with both movie and music audio. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. My only nit is I've used loudness compensation with previous receivers, and the 990 doesn't appear to have that function. However, I can live without that.

I did initially have an issue with no sound on the HDMI output from the cable box. After searching all of the Scientific Atlanta and Cox documentation and finding nothing that would indicate a setup change needed for this connection, Cox technical support was called. Tech support laughed, said this was a common problem that often resulted in people taking their TV's back to the store, and then provided undocumented setup information that got the HDMI audio working. I offer this experience to suggest that a call to Verizon tech support might be worthwhile if that has not been done. There just might be some undocumented information that would cure the audio/video problem.

Regarding strindl's question about upsample mode on CD's, I've been using that and am quite satisfied with it. I did make some other changes from my previous CD setup to the 990, so I can not say if all of the improvement is due to upsampling, but my CD music has better clarity than before. I really should do a comparison between the various modes, but have not taken the time to do that.

Bill

#69199 - 03/12/09 04:05 AM Re: New User - Observation & Question
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Quote:
I've been pretty satisfied with the 990's upsample mode. Be aware, though, that you will not be able to use it in conjunction with any other processing - so no upsampling paired with Pro Logic II or 5 Stereo.
ahh..I did not know about that. I've always appreciated a GOOD surround system when listening to music on many recordings. Right now I'm listening to a live concert of Bob Dylan at Carnegie Hall recorded in 1964. I'm using the Pro Logic II decoding on my integra dhc 9.9 in my main system and I love the effect that surround mode gives to the music.

For a recording made that long ago, that Bob Dylan live concert is amazingly good on a high end system. The surround processor in my living room system now, where the 990 soon will be, is a 10 year old Harman Kardon Signature 2.0. That has Dolby Digital and DTS, but the pro logic is the older normal version..not PLII. It doesn't do nearly as good of a job on that Bob Dylan CD.

I'm looking forward to getting that 990 set up with the maggies and see what those speakers are truly capable of
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts