Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#6909 - 10/02/02 02:47 PM Bookshelf Speakers
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Anyone have suggestions for a set of bookshelf speakers? Will be used in small area with a fairly inexpensive receiver. Don't want to spend much on them as they will be in a fairly harsh environment for electronics and furniture (southern India where it is hot and very very humid). Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

#6910 - 10/02/02 02:52 PM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
I have a few questions that might help narrow the suggestions down. Do you have any sort of a price range in mind? Will you be trying to build a complete surround system off this eventually (if it's not a definite no, we'll assume yes)? Do they have to be bookshelf, floor standing is definitely out?

#6911 - 10/02/02 04:22 PM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for response, here are a few details:

- Will not be used as part of surround system. Full-range bookshelf speaker would be best (as full-range as possible at least).

- Floor speakers are out, as is sub/sat because of space and transportation considerations. They will have to be carried (possibly as excess baggage) on plane to India. Also will be used in a fairly small place there.

- Trying to find something for $500/pr or less if possible, though this may be somewhat flexible.

Thanks!

#6912 - 10/03/02 04:59 PM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Snowman,
I bought a pair of Pinnacle PN+5 bookshelf speakers on the advice of a review by Julian Hirsch in Stereo Review. This was a little more than ten years ago and I still am amazed by the sound they produce given their size of about 12"H x 7"W x 7"D. An angled bass port helps with the low end. They are pretty heavy, about 15 pounds each, I guess. Sorry that most of this info is somewhat inexact. I'm writing this from memory while at work.
I'm not familiar with that Pinnacle is doing now (I think they're still around), but they may have something in what you're looking for
at a reasonable price. Although I can't recall what I paid (at Tweeter), but I know when I bought the PN+5's, they couldn't have been more than $250.00 for the pair.
Not to be nosey, but India?
I hope this helps. I know there will be many other Outlaws giving you their two cents.

Chris

#6913 - 10/03/02 06:23 PM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Look into Paradigm. I have a set of Monitor 3's that are quite impressive on the bass end (down to 35-36 hz) They are fairly large for a "bookshelf" speaker.
However the bass port is in front, which makes it a little easier to use in inclosed spaces.

I picked up my pair for $350 US from a local dealer.

Jason

#6914 - 10/04/02 11:08 AM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the advice, will look into Pinnacle and Paradigm. Yep, these will be taken to India and set up there, though not used by me. I'm still here in the USA,
and happy with my Outlaw / North Creek setup, though I do plan to buy a new CD player soon.

#6915 - 10/04/02 12:58 PM Re: Bookshelf Speakers
charlie Offline
Desperado

Hi Eric! Nice to hear from you!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM