Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#68800 - 10/05/08 01:18 AM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not worried about sound quality so much as I am about having a pathway between the output of two components - shouldn't matter as long as you only have one on at a time, but I just don't know what possible problems might arise for the sources' output sections if both get turned on at once.

#68801 - 10/05/08 03:22 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Basking Ridge, NJ,USA
Gonk, your point is well received, but 990 is controlling the output and just allow 1 source going out at one time. Besides, the chance of turning on both sources is rare but not impossible. I just ensure I do not turn on both players would be safe and I have a habbit of just turn on 1 player at a time and turn it off if not in use..,,, saving energy.
I might try the "RCA 2 FEMALE TO 1 MALE" cable spliter,from RadioSheck, which is of about $4 each. The cost is cheaper than the return cost of the S550 back to Sony. Tks.
Kwok

#68802 - 10/05/08 05:02 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
gonk Offline
Desperado

The concern I have is upsteam of the 990 - those two source players' outputs will be joined by a single, uninterrupted conductive pathway that is bridged just before the splitter reaches the 990. I simply don't know what the ramifications of that might be for those two sources. If we were dealing with air or water, I'd know what to do - and I'd look at a backdraft damper or check valve because I would not want flow in the wrong direction. In this case, though, all I have is some anxiety about it. I'd talk to Outlaw support or some other manufacturer before hooking my gear up that way - my concerns may be unfounded...

#68803 - 10/05/08 08:02 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, your concern is my concern too. Thanks.
Scott of Outlaw in reading this. Please advise your thought.
After all, as I said before, if I only turn on 1 source, not both, our concern should be eliminated. Right?

Scott, please revert. Tks.

Kwok

#68804 - 10/05/08 08:38 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Altec Offline
Desperado

It is not a good idea to connect two line (or speaker) outputs together unless they are isolated from each other by buildout resistors (not an option to most consumers). Even when one component is "off", the output stage of the "off" component can either act as a short or act as a non linear rectifier, which will cause distortion in the component which is active. The resistors which are normally inline with the outputs of most equipment, and which establish their nominal output impedance, are too low of a value to have any isolation effect.

In short, don't do this type of hookup. If you're technician enough to do some fancy soldering, you can place a buildout resistor of 4K7 inline with the hot (center) leads of both legs of the "Y". This will eliminate the problem, but then the impedance is higher, so the output of the "Y" should connect directly into the input of the receiving gear.

#68805 - 10/05/08 08:56 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Altec,thanks for your advice. What about if I unplug the non-active component from the electricity outlet? Will it help? I am no expert of soldering as your recommend.
Kwok

#68806 - 10/05/08 08:59 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Altec, another question....besides causing distortion in the component which is active, what else will happen? Will that damage the active component and the non-active one?

Kwok

#68807 - 10/05/08 09:01 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Altec, another question....besides causing distortion in the component which is active, what else will happen? Will that damage the active component and the non-active one?

Kwok

#68808 - 10/05/08 09:59 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
you can place a buildout resistor of 4K7 inline with the hot (center) leads of both legs of the "Y".
I figured there was some sort of audio equivalent of a check valve out there somewhere - thanks for the save...
Quote:
What about if I unplug the non-active component from the electricity outlet? Will it help?
The danger I see there is Murphy's Law - one instance of inadvertently having both plugged in at once, and you're back to the place we're trying to avoid.

#68809 - 10/05/08 10:54 PM Re: processing through 7.1 analog
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Kwok C Lau:
Altec,thanks for your advice. What about if I unplug the non-active component from the electricity outlet? Will it help? I am no expert of soldering as your recommend.
Kwok
The only thing which will help is if you unplug the outputs of the unused player from the "Y" adapter. Whether a component is turned "off" or unplugged, it does not matter.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts