Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6889 - 09/21/02 02:04 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Hnrybr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: The Woodlands, Texas, U.S.
Thank you for all the information everyone provided it's nice to see that people take time to give advice. I bought the mirage om10 tonight I got them for $600 which seems like a pretty good deal, they were well reviewed and they appear very well built. Hopefully I will be happy with them for a long time, and if not I can always move them to the rear and get new speakers for the front and by then I will have more money to spend. Thanks again for the advice.

Jeff Johnson

#6890 - 09/21/02 08:44 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
Good choice. I have the OM-5. I got these for 43% off, but they're still out of your price range, for now anyway. I bet you'll have some fun after college when you get a good job. I've heard having towers for surrounds is awesome for power, if you end up going that way.

#6891 - 01/17/03 11:41 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
jack dotson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX U.S.
I'd like to throw in another vote for the Dahlquist. I bought a pair of QX-9's for my son for Christmas and couldn't beleive how good they are for the price. Very smooth and accurate, outstanding bass extension, and just an all around great speaker. I also have experience with the Axiom's as I ordered a pair of M-80ti's, but sent them back after a few days. Allot of people like the Axiom's and they do have allot of things to like, but they were just a bit forward for my taste and I thought the midrange was a bit thin. Of course some will like this sound and say the Dahlquist are too warm. It's all a matter of taste. BTW, the 80's were $1100 and the QX-9's were about $550 shipped. I listened to both with rock, jazz and country and I used my Outlaw 950/755 combo and my son's Denon AVR-3300 receiver. Both were driven easily with the Denon, but I think the Dahlquist are a little more efficient. I also bought the Dahlquist from Marc at the Audioshop and concur with the positive comments the others have made. He's a very reputable dealer and a pleasure to do business with. But, the folks at Axiom (Amie) are also great and their customer service is second to none. Just check the Axiom forum and you'llsee numeours post from satisfied customers. They were very good to me and I really hated to send these speakers back (not to mention it cost me over $200 in shipping fees, ouch!). One of my favorite bang for the buck speakers are the B&W DM604 S3's, but they're almost twice hour budget. Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

#6892 - 02/19/03 12:52 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
The Energy take 5.2 is a nice sub/sat system for $600.

MY UNSOLICITED SMART A** comment

For college, I would think about a nice low priced 2-channel music system and try not to spend too much time watching movies (except periodic group outings). You can become a home theater enthusiast when you have a family and move to the suburbs.

For two channel the Heresy ($400) would be nice with a vintage modified integrated tube amp roughly the price of the 1050. You can watch movies with this system due to the stereo imaging but of course there would be no surrounds.

College for me was study hard, play hard...no time for TV or movies except in the summers.

OK >>> BACK TO YOUR QUESTION:

I bought the Outlaw 1050 and Klipsch Cornwalls. The Cornwalls are about $800 used on ebay ($600-$1300). I use 4 Heresys for centers and surrounds ($800 for all four).

For home theater I haven't heard anything better near that price range --$2000 for 6 speakers and the receiver...all used.

This is VERY SUBJECTIVE and not everyone likes Klipsch. If you like a neutral or laid-back warm speaker then the big live sound of Klipsch may not be your preference. For those that like Klipsch there is no reasonably priced substitue for the dynamic, effecient, big soundstage they produce.

If you like the RFIII's you may LOVE the Cornwalls or even Heresys ($400/pr).

[This message has been edited by Hoots (edited February 19, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Hoots (edited February 19, 2003).]

#6893 - 01/08/04 02:52 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
rklein Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: griffin, ga, usa
I once had a pair of klipsch Herresys, wonderful speaker. I presently have the synergy line (sf-1, sc-1, ss-1, and ksw-12 sub) sound is excellent.

#6894 - 01/14/04 12:29 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
polk usually has some good speakers in the lower price ranges. i dont think the new series has very much bass in their towers though.

#6895 - 01/20/04 10:51 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
BroonsBane Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Maybe look at a pair of Energy floorstanders.
They have reintroduced the C Series and are outstanding speakers for the money...I own a pair of C-9's and are my mains, a pair of C-3 book shelfs for my rears, and an AC300 for my centre, although i'm not sure how available the AC300 is still.

Just like Outlaw stuff, you get plenty of bang for your buck!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 185 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts