Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6879 - 09/18/02 12:48 PM Looking for main speakers around $700
Hnrybr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: The Woodlands, Texas, U.S.
I am going to buy a 1050 a/v reciever within the next few weeks, but I still have not made a decision on what speakers to get. I have been looking at the klipsch RF-3, PSB Image 5T, and Axiom Millennia M50 Ti. I have found the klipsch RF-3 and the PSB 5T at ReliableAudioVideo.com for about $550 pair with shipping they will be about $650. Unfortunatly my limit is around $700 since I am a poor college student. I appreciate any suggestions and advice offered.

Thanks

Jeff

#6880 - 09/18/02 04:56 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I'm very happy with my Axioms (M80Ti) but YMMV.

If you're not dead set on towers, the M22Ti may also be worth investigating. For towers, it may make sense to jump up a notch and consider the M60Ti; it's not too far outside your range.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#6881 - 09/18/02 11:58 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
I think you may want to look at Monitor Audio Silver 5i series. They had a list price of 1000 dollars but they are at dealer closeouts right now. New in box are selling for about 600. Look around on ebay and audiogon, you can find them for as low as 400 used. They have had very good reviews. I liked them for music and Home Theater. And now my son likes them for the same reason. Of course he was a graduate student looking for a good deal also.

#6882 - 09/19/02 03:29 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Hnrybr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you for your advice I will look into those speakers. I was looking at the axiom website at the B stock speakers and they said that the speakers are new there is just cosmetic defects so if that is true I may get a good deal there. Any advice on buying blemished items?

Thanks

Jeff Johnson

#6883 - 09/19/02 08:42 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
Jeff,
Just my .02 cents
I have the RF3's and am very pleased. Klipsch is not for everyone...they tend to be "bright", but this can be tamed. They are very efficient, meaning that they do not need alot of power to play loudly. I like the Klipsch for home theater in particular. They do an incredible job of re-creating movie soundtracks. The low end isn't bad, meaning that if you can't/don't get a subwoofer right away the RF3's will be adequate. I have heard them mated with a 1050 and it sounded great. $550 for the pair is a decent price.
Usually, especially from the factory, blemished items are O.K. Sonically and functionally they work fine. Your just looking at (potential) cosmetic flaws.

#6884 - 09/19/02 03:54 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I've known of people buying the Axioms from the factory outlet and not even being able to tell what the flaw was... It would probably be a good deal, especiallyif you're a little bit cash strapped, as it would allow you to buy more speaker.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#6885 - 09/20/02 04:00 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Hnrybr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I ran across the mirage om-10 speakers they are asking $699 so I might consider them as well. I just listened to the klipsch rf-3 at tweeter and to me it sounded like the horn overpowered the mids. So right now it's between the axiom, which I have not heard yet and the psb 5t. I have to wait untill next week to listen to the psb speakers. Thanks for any input.

I am waiting to see if axiom will have the m60ti available from the factory outlet.

#6886 - 09/20/02 07:29 AM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
You should also check out the offerings from Paradigm. If you are willing to consider bookshelf speakers, the Studio 20 would be an excellent choice. They are the best bookshelp speaks I've heard for twice the money, however, side by side my Klipsch KLF 10's (which I purchased new for $428/pair)mopped them off the floor.

#6887 - 09/20/02 10:22 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Philip A Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Rigby, Idaho
Before you buy anything, especially Axiom, do yourself a favor and call Marc at Audio Shop in Ottowa, Canada. From this and other forums I learned of Marc and have found all the positive comments to be accurate.

He is currently flogging Dahlquist speakers in your price range. They go head to head with Axiom in his showroom every day and overwhelmingly get picked over the Axiom lineup. I could not more highly recommend them (I bought the QX10s for mains, QX60C for center and QX60s for surrounds, as well as, a QX40 for rear center). They are incredible! I can't even explain, the bass is so full and deep, even from the little 4" they use in the 40. Phenomenal...

If you email Marc he will call you back on his dime.

Do yourself a favor and check it out at
http://www.audioshop.on.ca

also Dahlquist has their site up and running at
http://www.dahlquistaudio.com

#6888 - 09/20/02 10:38 PM Re: Looking for main speakers around $700
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
If you are dealing with Marc in Ottawa...he's a good guy. I have a set of Energy e:XL series speakers (nice speaker but the series is mostly discontinued) that I purchased there (going to the store tomorrow to get a pair more speakers for when my 950 comes in...7.1 baby!)

So, I put my plug in for Energy speakers...they serve me well and are great sounding (harder to get outside of Canada though).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts