Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6841 - 08/04/09 01:43 AM Re: Most important components for music server laptop?
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Quote:
Strindl: My "golden ears" :rolleyes: can't tell the difference between AIFF formated music files via digital optical versus USB. I'd think the 990 uses the same DAC for both digital sources therefore minimizing any audible differences between them. [/QB]
I suppose I need to try out that usb port soon and see how it works. I'd kind of forgotten it was even there.

I use Logitech Duet systems to play my music collection on multiple audio systems in my house now. I love how well that works and sounds.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#6842 - 08/04/09 01:44 AM Re: Most important components for music server laptop?
strindl Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by audvid:
Strindl, I've been listening to music via USB from a laptop for a number of months and haven't been disappointed. Earlier comparisons between a CD carousel connected via toslink to my 990 and the laptop connected to the 990 via USB didn't show any glaring differences. I'd leave the room, ask my wife to turn one or the other on, then I'd come back into the room and listen. I did this for a number of favorite songs and I couldn't really tell the difference.

My laptop doesn't offer toslink or coax so I couldn't make that comparison.

There was an article in last months Absolute Sound regarding DACs and USB input. He wasn't too thrilled with the sound when USB was used, but he also thought there was a difference in the sound delivered depending on the USB cable maker. This seemed a little "out there". Either the ones and zeros arrive or they don't. But that's probably a debate for another thread. (There's actually a manufacturer out there that makes a USB cable that costs $500).
I read that absolute sound piece, but never having tried usb audio myself, I didn't know what to think of it.
Emotiva XPA-1 (2), XPA-5
(2) Threshold S200's
Thiel 3.6 main speakers
(2)Velodyne F1500r subs
Polk RTI28 surrounds
B&W HTM center
OPPO BDP-83 universal player
Samsung HLT6187 led DLP

#6843 - 08/04/09 02:39 AM Re: Most important components for music server laptop?
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Mabey it's just me, but I've always thought music from my CD player via optical or coax sounded a littlebit better than music from my computer via USB , tough I've never done any blind comparison or ,for that mater, listened to the same CD from both sources so it could be more a reflection of the isgnal quality at the source.
I'd be very much suprised if there weren't USB cords being sold for a lot more than $500. I'm sure there are people who would buy them then swear that it was as though many layers of blankets had been unwrapped from their speakers.
I hope they don't knock the clocks over when they're removing all of thos blankets.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#6844 - 08/04/09 04:15 PM Re: Most important components for music server laptop?
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by KOYAAN:
Mabey it's just me, but I've always thought music from my CD player via optical or coax sounded a littlebit better than music from my computer via USB , tough I've never done any blind comparison or ,for that mater, listened to the same CD from both sources so it could be more a reflection of the isgnal quality at the source.
I'd be very much suprised if there weren't USB cords being sold for a lot more than $500. I'm sure there are people who would buy them then swear that it was as though many layers of blankets had been unwrapped from their speakers.
I hope they don't knock the clocks over when they're removing all of thos blankets.
LOL! It's as if those 1's and 0's were suddenly transformed from drab ol' courier to garamond. Your D/A knows the difference dammit and will petulantly apply those speaker blankets if you don't humor it with proper Rolls Royce cabling.

I can see it now...we can call them Tiny Little Cables. laugh

#6845 - 08/04/09 04:35 PM Re: Most important components for music server laptop?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The difference between a CD player via digital audio and a PC via USB could be related to the extra processing involved in the PC (depending on the media player used, there can be various amounts of "mucking around" done with the digital signal).

As for the idea of $500 USB cables, I have no comment . smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts